Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Just saw this a few minutes ago...more importantly, it's back on!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Just saw this a few minutes ago...more importantly, it's back on!
    Yes!! I know GDT said that the film was still on a month or so back, but it's great to hear that it's definitely on, and he will at least be producing. It better be worth the wait .

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm glad its getting made, but bummed that Del Toro isn't directing. I was really looking forward to see what he had in store for it. Of course, it still could turn out well; maybe this Deknight guy is game for large-scale action scenes, but who knows if he is or not.

I would've been more comfy if they picked someone with a visual flair for big-ass action, like maybe give the guy who directed the Leviathan short a shot:
    Last edited by Millionaire; 02-25-2016 at 11:54 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm out. Loved the first one but just based on the personnel I can tell the sequel will be turdtastic.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'm out. Loved the first one but just based on the personnel I can tell the sequel will be turdtastic.
    Well, might wanna stay away for a while. He's writing Jurassic World 2, the next King Kong, and helping with Star Wars Episode IX as well.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Well, might wanna stay away for a while. He's writing Jurassic World 2, the next King Kong, and helping with Star Wars Episode IX as well.
    I hated Jurassic World, fell asleep in Jackson's King Kong, and was disappointed by Star Wars Ep 7 so those aren't exactly ringing endorsements! Good to know.
    Last edited by botley; 05-13-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Production is apparently officially full swing. The story apparently takes place 'a few years after the original' and will further explore the origins of the Kaiju.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well, looks like the 'will it happen - won't it happen' argument is officially over.

Legendary Pictures has tapped John Boyega, one of today’s most talented rising stars, the lead role for the second installment of its PACIFIC RIM franchise. The film, which is targeting a 4th Quarter start date is rapidly taking shape as a key project on Legendary’s upcoming slate with Boyega playing the son of Idris Elba's character from the original film.

The project will be directed by Steven S. DeKnight based on the world created by Guillermo del Toro and Travis Beacham. Thomas Tull, Mary Parent, Jon Jashni, and del Toro will produce the action adventure film along with Boyega and Femi Oguns under their Upper Room Productions shingle. Cale Boyter will serve as the film’s executive producer.
    “It is undeniable that with all his talent and natural charm, John stands out amongst today's generation of young leading men,” said Mary Parent, Legendary’s Vice Chairman of Worldwide Production.
    "I am very proud and happy to welcome John into a fantastic sandbox. The Pacific Rim universe will be reinforced with him as a leading man as it continues to be a multicultural, multi-layered world. ‘The World saving the world’ was our goal and I couldn't think of a better man for the job," stated del Toro.
    John Boyega's previous credits include STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS and ATTACK THE BLOCK. His upcoming projects include STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII, THE CIRCLE opposite Tom Hanks and Emma Watson, IMPERIAL DREAMS, WATERSHIP DOWN alongside James McAvoy and Sir Ben Kingsley, and he will star on stage next year in WOYZECK at The Old Vic. He is represented by WME and Identity Agency Group in the UK and Hansen Jacobson.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Between this and Black Panther, February 2018 gonna be so lit!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    GDT also said that more casting news is coming very soon...I'm so pumped.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm pretty fucking psyched for this movie and OMFG every single update just raises my blood pressure THAT much more!!!

XD

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Charlie Hunnam confirms he won't be in PR2.

Apparently some are saying it's because they're rushing this thing and he's already busy elsewhere, but his quote here about politics vs. art is interesting...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Filming has begun on Pacific Rim: Maelstrom. February 23, 2018.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Kind of a weak bump I know, but official title is now Pacific Rim: Uprising.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just read about the title change. Really not a fan :/.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Just read about the title change. Really not a fan :/.
    Agreed. They might as well have changed it to "Revelations" or "Redemption." I wonder what their reason for changing it was - because if it was for appeal/marketing, that makes me worry that someone has so little faith in the movie that they feel the need to change the name to make sure people stay interested and aren't thrown off by such a confusing and advanced word like "maelstrom."

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Boyega spotted in his jaeger armor.

And yes, Maelstrom was a waaaay better name than Uprising.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Really really curious what will come out of this and how they will handle the story. I'm a bit worried that this will be Indepence Day all over again. And yeah, these days every movie title seems to be rising or evoluting in some way... Maelstrom was nice for a change, but maybe they will change it around once again

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    This teaser puts the absolute worst taste in my mouth.

Not what I wanted for my first look, can't lie. I get that it's clearly some kind of in-universe advertising, but eesh. My hype for the sequel was immediately overshadowed by "WHOOAAAA, JAEGERS, HEY KIDS, DO YOOOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?" Bumpy start, for me.

It's literally a Rocket League commercial with Jaegers.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The saving grace for me up to this point is Steven DeKnight. Just from following him on Twitter, he seems like a no-nonsense, cut the bullshit type of dude that genuinely wants this to succeed, is a massive del Toro fan, etc. etc.

They've shown some new Jaegers, if only in action figure form as well:

Gipsy Agenger

Bracer Phoenix

Titan Redeemer

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    First trailer to be shown at NYCC by the end of the weekend...and official synopsis below reveals the return of at least one more main character from the first film:

The globe-spanning conflict between otherworldly monsters of mass destruction and the human-piloted super-machines built to vanquish them was only a prelude to the all-out assault on humanity in Pacific Rim Uprising.
    John Boyega (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) stars as the rebellious Jake Pentecost, a once-promising Jaeger pilot whose legendary father gave his life to secure humanity’s victory against the monstrous “Kaiju.” Jake has since abandoned his training only to become caught up in a criminal underworld. But when an even more unstoppable threat is unleashed to tear through our cities and bring the world to its knees, he is given one last chance to live up to his father’s legacy by his estranged sister, Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi)—who is leading a brave new generation of pilots that have grown up in the shadow of war. As they seek justice for the fallen, their only hope is to unite together in a global uprising against the forces of extinction.
    Jake is joined by gifted rival pilot Lambert (The Fate of the Furious’ Scott Eastwood) and 15-year-old Jaeger hacker Amara (newcomer Cailee Spaeny), as the heroes of the PPDC become the only family he has left. Rising up to become the most powerful defense force to ever walk the earth, they will set course for a spectacular all-new adventure on a towering scale.
    Pacific Rim Uprising is directed by Steven S. DeKnight (Netflix’s Daredevil, STARZ’s Spartacus) and also stars Jing Tian, Burn Gorman, Adria Arjona and Charlie Day.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Well, just like you would expect it from a sequel. I am still a little worried since Del Torro is not directing this and I'm expecting them to take it a little too far this time with the first movie already being rather over the top yet very detailled and beautifully made. But yeah, can't wait for the trailer and some fierce kaiju designs. This one shall make the wait for Godzilla 2 a little shorter.