Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    He had a link to them in his original post. Scroll down to the chart "By country" and then sort "Rate" by "descending"
    Ok, I did the legwork. Here's the homicide rates for the countries mentioned in my image.

Japan 0.3
    Britain 1.6
    Switzerland 0.7
    Canada 1.6
    Isreal 2.1
    Sweden 1.0
    Germany 0.8
    U.S. 4.2

This supports my original image, it doesn't discredit it. I assumed he had stats to discredit the image.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    Ok, I did the legwork. Here's the homicide rates for the countries mentioned in my image.

Japan 0.3
    Britain 1.6
    Switzerland 0.7
    Canada 1.6
    Isreal 2.1
    Sweden 1.0
    Germany 0.8
    U.S. 4.2

This supports my original image, it doesn't discredit it. I assumed he had stats to discredit the image.
    The numbers aren't so hyperbolic, are they?
    Gun control is good. I don't know anyone who will disagree with gun control with those numbers. Don't go spreading around insanely flawed data, it discredits you and everyone else trying to make the case.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    The numbers aren't so hyperbolic, are they?
    Gun control is good. I don't know anyone who will disagree with gun control with those numbers. Don't go spreading around insanely flawed data, it discredits you and everyone else trying to make the case.
    Are you saying those homicide rates look any better than the yearly deaths by gunshot? Don't kid yourself.

The U.S. had 10,680 more deaths by gunshot last year than Japan.
    The U.S has a 3.9% higher homicide rate than Japan.

Either way you say present these facts, they aren't good. But hey, we have a lower homicide rate than Honduras and El Salvador; I guess we should hold our heads high and proud about that fact.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    Are you saying those homicide rates look any better than the yearly deaths by gunshot? Don't kid yourself.

The U.S. had 10,680 more deaths by gunshot last year than Japan.
    The U.S has a 3.9% higher homicide rate than Japan.

Either way you say present these facts, they aren't good. But hey, we have a lower homicide rate than Honduras and El Salvador; I guess we should hold our heads high and proud about that fact.
    Yup, I am. After you remove all other forms of death (that the graphic incorrectly calls "murder") and factor in population... the difference is nowhere as large as your image tries to indicate. It's clear you want to hold on to any reason possible to "prove me wrong." You are now venturing into fabrication of my words. At this rate, you will be disagreeing with gun control because I agree with it.

Give it up dude, you've sucked this one dry. Here, I'll give you a new reason to keep ranting your irrational and excessively emotional fallacy... I will even use images and stereotype to keep it on your playing field. have fun!

Last edited by DigitalChaos; 12-15-2012 at 02:21 PM.