Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97
Results 2,881 to 2,907 of 2907

Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Another school shooting in Nashville. 3 kids, 3 adults dead.
    https://www.newschannel5.com/news/po...ovenant-school

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Right wing radio is making a big deal about how the shooter is trans

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Right wing radio is making a big deal about how the shooter is trans
    No surprise there. People are already saying that trans people shouldn't have guns because they're "mentally ill". Makes your fucking head spin.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/tactical-reality

Excellent summation of the nation we live in. Extra maddening when you read the letter and then notice the date it was published after, like I did yesterday.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I've said it once and i'll say it again...

We need a Mass Shooting of the Week thread

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    truly. this is terrifying. you can't even turn around in someone's driveway or go to the wrong house? so fucking sad. I saw some replies on twitter with ammosexuals being like "the police didn't charge him so there must be more to the story" like no the fuck not. stop shooting people please.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Hopefully this is the bit I hope it is as I can't connect any headphones. I saw Geoff on Sunday and he did this bit - which, unrelated, I felt was a little tacky since it was already on an album but I digress - and it actually made my wife laugh.

Still true though.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Man accused of shooting a 6 year old and her parents arrested

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/21/11712...rested-florida

What the fuck is going on

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    And it keeps repeating....

School shooting in Serbia
    https://apnews.com/article/serbia-sh...6a9bbd88cc652f

Texas man caught and arrested after shooting 5 people
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...hunt-rcna82214

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    at least they caught that asshole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

GOP Rep Keith Self

Texas congressman says people who think 'prayers aren't cutting it' as a solution to gun violence 'don't believe in an almighty god who is absolutely in control of our lives.' 9 people died in a mass shooting in his district yesterday.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Texas is probably the most frustrating state with all this stuff. They have had nightmare scenario after nightmare scenario of various stripes happen there in the last few years, all directly the result of GOP leadership. And there are obviously more normal people with rational views than right wing freaks in the state overall. And the Dem party isn't neutered & pathetic like it is right now in Florida. They've actually mounted some solid runs for the big seats there. Yet, too many people stay home and in races like last year's governor race, Abbot won easily. So, even though its wrong, when things like this happen there, I kinda just throw my hands up & say to myself "this is what you voted for".

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Winnie-the-Pooh book teaches kids to ‘run, hide, fight’ in a shooting

When Cindy Campos’s 5-year-old son came back from school, he eagerly pulled from his bag a book he’d been given at school. He wanted to read it right away.

Campos took the book and froze. On the bright red cover, next to an illustration of Winnie-the-Pooh, were the words “Run Hide Fight.”

She skimmed through the pages and found it was an instructional book intended to teach children — in rhyming lines rendered in curly font — what to do in a school shooting.

“Danger is scary, but our legendary friends Pooh and his crew are here to help us through,” reads one page.

“If danger finds us, don’t stay, run away,” reads another, accompanied by a drawing of the characters Kanga and Roo in boxing gloves. “If we can’t get away, we have to FIGHT with all our might.”
    Do you even need to guess which state did this?

The distribution of the books around May 15, which was first reported by the Oak Cliff Advocate, sparked a wave of concern from parents in Campos’s Dallas school district, she told The Washington Post. Campos, whose children attend Leslie A. Stemmons Elementary School, found another copy of the book in her first-grade son’s bag and later learned from a teacher that the books had been issued by their school.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I just had to do an active shooter training for work. It's depressing as hell. And as part of a manger role, it said we should start planning NOW how to handle memorials, setting up therapists, who's going to speak to the media, how to encourage customers to come back. What the fuck!

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    I just had to do an active shooter training for work. It's depressing as hell. And as part of a manger role, it said we should start planning NOW how to handle memorials, setting up therapists, who's going to speak to the media, how to encourage customers to come back. What the fuck!
    YIKES! Wtf? we have to live like this because the gun manufacturers are our overlords now.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Man... reading this was not the right way to start the day. It reminds me of that Who is America bit where they get the guy to play along with "puppy pistol."

Maybe it's just me, but the mental image of a couple toddlers resorting to fighting for their lives with images of Winnie the Pooh running through their terrified minds as motivation... against some lunatic with a military weapon... that's fucked up. I really want to know who conceived this.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-26-2023 at 02:09 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I'm not linking to the story - you can know I live in Washington but the actual building I work at is probably TMI - but there was a shooting in the building a vague and uncertain number of years ago. A guy I work with was the one who tackled the shooter, and after that they implemented a two-level security where you need an employee badge to get to the employee areas.

The problem there was that it was an employee who committed the shooting so...security theater, folks!

oh, and we only have to do the online active shooter training. They were going to implement rol eplay but then Covid happened and they sent everyone home. Now if there's a workplace shooting it's more likely a spouse than a coworker.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    YIKES! Wtf? we have to live like this because the gun manufacturers are our overlords now.
    It's all the military-industrial complex....don't get me started!

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    It's all the military-industrial complex....don't get me started!
    actually maybe you should say more. i’ve never thought of the military being connected to the gun manufacturers but i could certainly see how that could be true.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    actually maybe you should say more. i’ve never thought of the military being connected to the gun manufacturers but i could certainly see how that could be true.

Perhaps I will but not today as I'm kind of high on pain meds. Rest assured that the gun lobby/manufacturers are part of the complex. Firearms are 1 of the few industries that haven't left the country. Big money is definitely involved. I used to work in the complex at 1 of the biggest players & saw a lot of stuff that would blow your mind. I did have to sign a NDA when I had to retire. I was like a ghost in the machine there. I hated it & I was definitely outside the norm of the worker bees. I used to get results so they put up with me & I put up with them. After over 25 years in the music biz it was quite a culture shock going to work there. The one good thing is when I got hired I bought the extra long term disability insurance & then got sick a year later. I ended up working there over 12 years which was 5 years longer than the doctors wanted me too. I had a really high pressure, high stress job & haven't missed it a minute since I left 4 years ago.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with all the right-wing bullshit about Taylor Swift.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with all the right-wing bullshit about Taylor Swift.
    thought the same

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    To all the people out there that argue that an american civil war might be coming, I present this as evidence that it's already happening.

EDITED TO ADD: The more I think about this, the more convinced I am of it. You've got Elon & Fox running a propaganda machine, you've got rampant homelessness and hunger, and you've got 42 mass shootings so far this year. It's already here.
    Last edited by M1ke; 02-15-2024 at 06:25 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It had nothing to do with Taylor Swift or any right wing conspiracy theory. All local reports are saying that it was a dispute between individuals in the crowd that resulted in gunfire. There’s ZERO evidence to support anything otherwise. The gunman that was tackled and apprehended by chiefs fans was just a young black teen. And gang violence is R A M P A N T in KC so when people say “This isn’t Kansas City”, it like kinda is