Page 86 of 97 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 2907

Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    something that just occurred to me: much like Texas decided to go after the 'others' in abortion cases to get a law to stick I feel like this is the same thing. can't change or write new gun laws, can't hold the manufacturers accountable (which I agree with), so go after the parents. it's not gun control, it's something else.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Yes, Dad can do that when kid turned 18, but kid would still have to get a Michigan license and then register said gun. But from all of the evidence presented so far, it appears that the parents presented the gun and mags to the kid as an early Christmas present. In other words, transferred ownership to the kid. He posted pics of himself in his room with the gun, and in his pocket, and saying he just got the gun. If it’s “his,” it requires the kid to obtain a license and registration. Which the kid could not legally do. If it’s “dad’s,” there’s apparently no Michigan law requiring guns to be locked up. But the kid didn’t say, on social media, “this is my dad’s gun.” He, at least, was under the distinct impression that it was his - the kid’s - gun.
    The kid can post to social media saying he's a millionaire...doesn't make it true. In the eyes of the state of Michigan the dad is still the owner of the gun and while common sense and every shooting instructor will tell you to lock it up for safety, he's under no legal obligation to do so. So if all the state has are some instagram posts of the kid spouting off about it being his gun...that ain't gonna be enough. EDIT: the tone of the prosecutor makes it seem like they have a compelling case but as we all know that's not always indicative of the actual evidence.
    Last edited by cdm; 12-03-2021 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2021/11/30/active-shooter-multiple-victims-reported-michigans-oxford-high/8810326002/

"[Gov] Whitmer, during an evening news briefing, said "it's too early to talk about policies that might need to change as a result of this."

"This is a uniquely American problem that we need to address," she said. "But at this juncture, I think we need to focus on the community, the families, supporting all the first responders, including the incredible people at our hospitals that are working so hard to save the lives of those who are fighting for their lives."

OK, how about a consolation? Let's start talking about policies that might need to change, starting all the way back with Columbine... or Virginia Tech. There's been enough time for conversation on that, right?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Mom texted “Ethan, don’t do it” the morning of shooting.

https://abc7ny.com/amp/oxford-school...bley/11296940/

So she knew, but didn’t call police.

Checkmate.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Mom texted “Ethan, don’t do it” the morning of shooting.

https://abc7ny.com/amp/oxford-school...bley/11296940/

So she knew, but didn’t call police.

Checkmate.
    Wait, was this before or after the at-school meeting? Because that's some wild timing.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Wait, was this before or after the at-school meeting? Because that's some wild timing.
    AFTER. Guessing they realized he had the gun in his backpack.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

This investigation is going well. /s

EDIT: the sheriff is now on MSNBC being pretty clear his office was taken by surprise by the charges and the Prosecutor's office did not tell them about the press conference ahead of time. They learned of the charges this morning from media inquiries.
    Last edited by cdm; 12-03-2021 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Their lawyer says they left town the night of the shooting, for “their own safety,” but will return to turn themselves in:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ng/8856414002/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Their lawyer says they left town the night of the shooting, for “their own safety,” but will return to turn themselves in
    Interesting because on MSNBC the Sheriff said his office knew of their whereabouts as recently as last night.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

who knows!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

OH yeah great timing guys

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Does Texas have reciprocity with the North Pole?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    what I was hearing on the radio was that the mom's original text to her son was "LOL, I'm not mad, you gotta learn not to get in trouble."

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This was the Mom’s Instagram post about the kid’s gun

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I've been ignoring this, as I do 99% of school/mass shootings these days. I.generally see.the headline, feel a heavy dose of shame, and finally, remind myself that my wife and I WILL be leaving this hellhole EVENTUALLY.

But yeah, I pulled my head out of the sand, and the idea of the culpability of the parents is interesting, for sure, and hopefully sets a precedent going forward when it comes to investigating these awful things.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    What a couple of dumb fucks. Had they turned themselves in they probably could have bonded out and a good defense team would have really tested the charges at trial. But they had to get cute. Much much harder now.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    What a couple of dumb fucks. Had they turned themselves in they probably could have bonded out and a good defense team would have really tested the charges at trial. But they had to get cute. Much much harder now.
    right? their instinct to run is bizarre. your kid is in jail. he might need you maybe. (let’s be real, he doesn’t need them. he needs mental health professionals.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Welp

Last edited by cdm; 12-15-2021 at 08:00 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    He'll be a Fox News contributor very, very soon.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    one of the tweets says “accountability is coming” so i guess “not guilty” kyle is gonna sue everybody. this timeline sucks.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    something that just occurred to me: much like Texas decided to go after the 'others' in abortion cases to get a law to stick I feel like this is the same thing. can't change or write new gun laws, can't hold the manufacturers accountable (which I agree with), so go after the parents. it's not gun control, it's something else.

well look at that.
    More or less what Roberts was warning the Court’s Texas decision could lead to, by providing precedential run-arounds on protected rights.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Welp

This is so infuriating. Everything about this.
    Fuck this George Zimmerman 2.0 w/ extra

This is like when OJ put out a book with a title like "But What if I Did Do it?!" or something. Why do his lawyers or family members or friends think this is a good idea? You'd think he'd just thank his lucky stars he got away with murder. Where's the fake tears now, sunshine?

And I'm so goddamn sick of this super jingoistic BULLLLLLLSHIT. "Americafest?" So goddamn lame, and this Turning Point is supposed to be the GOP reach out for youth right? So fucking lame.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I’d be more angry about it if I didn’t see it coming. It’s more sad and disappointing than anything else.

He will run for office next.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

well look at that.
    I kind of had the same feeling.

At the same time, though, do you think aggressively looking for a point of culpability in the parents of school.shooters is the worst thing in the world?

I think it might create some better parenting, and conversations like "Now. Sonny Jim, one thing you SHOULDN'T do is shoot up the school, no matter what. Do you understand? Do NOT shoot up the school."

I'm REALLY starting to feel that, unfortunately, this is a talk parents need to have with their children, at least in THIS country.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegate; 01-07-2022 at 02:54 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    good. fuck those stupid assholes for ruining their own lives.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    And for being racists and taking someone else's life.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post

Interesting choice of words.

MCCAMMON: Well, the prosecutor, Linda Dunikoski, accused the men of vigilantism. And she referenced Travis McMichael's history of using racist language, which was described during the trial in November.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

LINDA DUNIKOSKI: He said, this was the worst day of my life. Well, how'd that work out for Ahmaud Arbery? Not once - not once did he show any empathy or ability to place himself in the position of Mr. Arbery on the stand.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    my comment isn’t meant to detract from their obviously heinous racist views. it’s about the decision they made. they did this to Arbery but they also did it to themselves. it was conscious and deliberate. the punishment fits the crime. permanent participants in a system they thought Ahmaud Arbery should be a part of.