Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN: The Greatest Hits

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Leo View Post
    ...or will it include just the "Interscope era"?
    To be titled like Singles 92-07?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Leo View Post
    What about the HM songs? I mean the singles, not the 2 initially written for the GH. Will they include the songs released under a contract with Columbia? CBH, CoA, maybe Running... the main singles/hits of the new album. Will those songs be included in a GH or will it include just the "Interscope era"?
    HM is coming out under Polydor in the UK, who as with Interscope are owned by Universal.
    It's a great big mess of labels.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I believe Nine Inch Nails has a fairly traditional "seven record deal" with Universal/Interscope. Counting The Fragile as two records, that means he still is on contract for one more record. His relationship with Universal is sour enough that during the creation of two songs for the long-in-the-works greatest hits album, he assembled a full length and chose to instead release that independently (on license to Columbia). Greatest hits is still probably in the cards, as that's about as good as Universal's going to get.
    I thought Year Zero Remixed was his last record in the contract with Interscope. And somehow the Greatest Hits could be fulfilled after the contract.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    HM is a bit different in that its copyright null corporation with distributing rights by universal. What that means to the greatest hits I don't know tbh but it's not quite the same thing.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    just speculation, but a lot of contracts come complete with a greatest hits addition: 7 albums + a greatest hits that doesn't count towards that total.

edit because captain obvious:
    i highly, highly doubt any hesitation marks tracks will be on the GH. you will likely see two archival leftovers or brand new tracks. if columbia is in charge of HM, it would take a huge stretch of some rigid contracts to work out some agreement to include 'copy of a' or 'came back haunted' soon after the album comes out. you may see some slip/ghosts if trent chooses to put them on there as he owns the rights, but you likely won't see anything from HM until a more career-spanning GH happens if/when the name is completely retired.

think of it this way, there are two RHCP greatest hits collections, as well as two REMs, to cover the different labels and eras of the band. REM *did* release a career spanning GH once they broke up for good, but they were likely able to work out an agreement between IRS and warner brothers...

if they were smart, the GH would come out in a month or two, in time for the US tour, or perhaps early next year if the tour continues in the US. now's as good a time as ever, i guess.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 08-14-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I hope it looks something like this:

1. Now I'm Nothing (recorded 2013 version)
    2. Terrible Lie
    3. Head Like A Hole
    4. Wish
    5. Closer (shorter 4-min edit)
    5. March Of The Pigs
    6. Hurt (Quiet)
    7. The Day The World Went Away
    8. We're In This Together (Radio edit)
    9. The Hand That Feeds
    10. Only
    12. Every Day Is Exactly The Same
    13. Survivalism
    14. Capital G
    15. 1 Ghosts I (just to get a track from here on it)
    16. 1,000,000
    17. Discipline
    18. Copy of A
    19. Came Back Haunted (radio edit)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Nine Inch Nails Anthology (1989-2007)

Disc One (1989-1998)

01 Head Like a Hole
    02 Terrible Lie
    03 Down In It
    04 Sin
    05 Wish
    06 March of the Pigs
    07 Closer
    08 Hurt
    09 Burn
    10 The Perfect Drug
    11 *Bonus Track

Disc Two (1999-2007)

01 The Day the World Went Away
    02 We're In This Together
    03 Into the Void
    04 Starfuckers, Inc.
    05 Deep
    06 The Hand That Feeds
    07 Every Day is Exactly the Same
    08 Only
    09 Survivalism
    10 Captial G
    11 *Bonus Track
    Last edited by OSLIN; 08-14-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ^ you're missing Deep and Into The Void. Else it sounds perfect.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    ^ you're missing Deep and Into The Void. Else it sounds perfect.
    Yeah, I should edit it to not include The Slip, considering that's not an Interscope release.

Much better
    Last edited by OSLIN; 08-14-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I just wanna say I hate when greatest hits albums arrange the tracks in chronological order.
    Hope this thing doesn't do that, not that i'll listen to it unless it has something special on it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I just wanna say I hate when greatest hits albums arrange the tracks in chronological order.
    Hope this thing doesn't do that, not that i'll listen to it unless it has something special on it.
    i definitely prefer when they arrange them into a more flowing order, as if it's a great mixtape. chronological order tends to yield awful results in the flow department.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I'm guessing it will be. Unless T Rez plays a part and delivers something unique. Which I could see because it has the NIN name on it. I mean what's the last we've heard of this.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Out of curiosity, where was it stated that "everything" and "satellite" would be included in the GH track list?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    Out of curiosity, where was it stated that "everything" and "satellite" would be included in the GH track list?
    In this article here: http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...f-trent-reznor

Stupid question, but...is there a textbook definition of what a "greatest hits" record has to be like? Because I can't imagine Trent just putting the singles on a CD and sell it like that. I bet he'll try to find a loophole to make something cool with it. Even if there's gonna be a CD with all the singles or whatever, the cool part will probably be disc 2.
    Last edited by Fist Fuck; 08-14-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Re: NIN: The Greatest Hits

I read that to mean he didn't want to waste them on the greatest hits album and put them on the new record instead of the GH.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    Nine Inch Nails Anthology (1989-2007)

Disc One (1989-1998)

01 Head Like a Hole
    02 Terrible Lie
    03 Down In It
    04 Sin
    05 Wish
    06 March of the Pigs
    07 Closer
    08 Hurt
    09 Burn
    10 The Perfect Drug
    11 *Bonus Track

Disc Two (1999-2007)

01 The Day the World Went Away
    02 We're In This Together
    03 Into the Void
    04 Starfuckers, Inc.
    05 Deep
    06 The Hand That Feeds
    07 Every Day is Exactly the Same
    08 Only
    09 Survivalism
    10 Captial G
    11 *Bonus Track
    This is a pretty solid collection! I suppose I'm only just really excited to see this being released just on the collector side of things...I'd love to see what Trent will come up with design and package wise.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post

Thank you!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Greatest Hits compilations usually include one or two new songs. So that would be wicked if that was the case with this one.
    Hesitation Marks comes out this year so I don't see why that'd be worthwhile to do.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 08-14-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post
    In this article here: http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...f-trent-reznor

Stupid question, but...is there a textbook definition of what a "greatest hits" record has to be like? Because I can't imagine Trent just putting the singles on a CD and sell it like that. I bet he'll try to find a loophole to make something cool with it. Even if there's gonna be a CD with all the singles or whatever, the cool part will probably be disc 2.
    A "Greatest Hits" has singles that have been "popular". Most of the times, it's missing some singles that didn't chart very well.

A "Single Collection" will contain all the singles. Not a very popular one.

A "Best of" is a selection of songs that the artist(s) or the label feel are relevant.

An "Essential Collection" is neither. The band sucks. Or the label is making money off the band.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can see Trent fobbing interscope off with the Definitive singles that we've had for years (artwork included).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    A "Greatest Hits" has singles that have been "popular". Most of the times, it's missing some singles that didn't chart very well.

A "Single Collection" will contain all the singles. Not a very popular one.

A "Best of" is a selection of songs that the artist(s) or the label feel are relevant.

An "Essential Collection" is neither. The band sucks. Or the label is making money off the band.
    Thanks. A best of would make so much more sense than a greatest hits record then, but okay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A legit recording of Now I'm Nothing would convince me to buy this regardless of anything else.

I wouldn't be surprised if this came out as a run of the mill greatest hits release sans Halo designation, along with a Twitter remark from Trent that it's bullshit, as he's been saying for years.

I know he's said he's under contract for the GH, but has he said the contract requires him to provide any new material?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    has he said the contract requires him to provide any new material?
    Yeah he's mentioned he owes two new singles.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Not understanding all the hope for a Ghosts track on this thing. It would (probably) be the only instrumental on the record and would throw the flow of the tracklisting out of whack, especially if it's at the end of the record.
    34 Ghosts got grammy-nominated, and if the album is meant to show the best of NIN, that's kind of an obvious one

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    34 is the only Ghosts track that makes any kind of sense for a Greatest Hits record, really. It's nice and long, has distinct sections, and of course, there's the Grammy nod as Sheepdean mentioned.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Not understanding all the hope for a Ghosts track on this thing. It would (probably) be the only instrumental on the record and would throw the flow of the tracklisting out of whack, especially if it's at the end of the record.
    Exactly, except...
    The Slip, Welcome Oblivion, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, Year Zero

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The Best of Nine Inch Nails (1989-2009)

Disc One (1989-1993)

01 Now I'm Nothing (Live)
    02 Pinion (Live)
    03 Terrible Lie (Live)
    04 Wish (Live)
    05 Down In It
    06 Sanctified (version '13)
    07 Gave Up (Fixed)
    08 Sin
    09 Head Like a Hole
    10 Happiness in Slavery
    11 Help Me I Am In Hell
    12 Suck
    13 Something I Can Never Have (Still)

Disc 2 (1994-2002)

01 Somewhat Damaged (Live)
    02 Reptile
    03 Starfuckers, Inc.
    04 March of the Pigs (Live)
    05 The Wretched
    06 Into the Void
    07 Closer to God
    08 Burn
    09 The Perfect Drug
    10 We're In This Together
    11 And All That Could Have Been
    12 Hurt (Quiet)
    13 The Day the World Went Away (Still)

Disc 3 (2003-2009)

01 Everyday Is Exactly the Same
    02 Survivalism
    03 The Hand That Feeds
    04 1,000,000 (Live)
    05 Capital G (Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D)
    06 Only
    07 Echoplex
    08 Me, I'm Not
    09 34 Ghosts IV
    10 Zero-Sum
    11 Right Where It Belongs (v2)
    12 *Bonus Track
    13 *Bonus Track

* Featuring two brand spanking new NIN songs, guaranteed to tantalize your tailbone
    Last edited by OSLIN; 08-15-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Okay, but those are albums with tracklists designed to compliment Trent's instrumental fetishes. A Greatest Hits album is just that: the hits. The singles. Occasionally a heralded fan favorite that is too popular to ignore for completion's sake.

34 Ghosts is none of those things. It's just one instrumental out of a set of 36 that got earmarked for a Grammy nomination.
    Well, it depends if it's a "Greatest Hits" or "best of". Best ofs will have the weird tracks, the b sides and instrumentals.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Don't get me wrong; I understand its inclusion from a statistical standpoint.

I just think it would stand out like a sore thumb in comparison to the rest of the tracks. It was never officially released as a single, was it? Wasn’t it just recognized as a Grammy-worthy instrumental? If it had not been nominated, I don’t think people would care about it nearly as much.
    If Trent is involved with this, it will be more than a typical collection of singles and I don't think it would be out of place at all.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I tried to make a b-sides/rare songs collection, but I gave up because the line is pretty fluid with NIN. And there's the NIN/Trent Reznor difference as well. And do I include original songs from the remix albums, or the half-remix/half-new songs like 10 Miles High? What about some of the soundtrack work, what about the new songs on Still? In fact, the problems begin already at the beginning, with Purest Feeling and Maybe Just Once, are they NIN?