Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1531

Thread: Star Wars Episode VII

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I know I'm gonna get shit for this... but The Force Awakens has become my favorite Star Wars film. Yeah, I said it. I turn 33 in January and have been watching the original Star Wars since I was a kid. Saw all of the special editions when they came out along with the prequels in theaters. I find myself watching Force Awakens much more than any of the originals. Hate me, I don't care. I enjoy the movie. It's fun and full of action and great special effects. It craps all over the prequels. I try to pretend they don't exist. Revenge Of The Sith was the better of the 3, but still. Force Awakens feels like a Star Wars movie and don't give me none of that copying A New Hope crap. I heard it all before. But I quite like all of the characters in this movie. Some of the original Star Wars, especially A New Hope, had some pretty bad acting and dialogue... hell, even the prequels. So that's a much needed improvement. I find myself much more invested in these characters now. So there, I said it. I'm about to sit and watch Force Awakens for the dozenth time. I can't wait to see how this story expands and unfurls as it goes along with Episodes 8 and 9.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Even for those who view TFA as a soft reboot that liberally follows in the strides of ANH, it’s doubtful that many would deny that compared to the prequels TFA was definitely the beneficiary of a vastly superior production. And that is a shame, because at the core the prequels had great material to explore in characters, themes, and story. Unfortunately much of those elements got smothered under some awful production.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Even for those who view TFA as a soft reboot that liberally follows in the strides of ANH, it’s doubtful that many would deny that compared to the prequels TFA was definitely the beneficiary of a vastly superior production. And that is a shame, because at the core the prequels had great material to explore in characters, themes, and story. Unfortunately much of those elements got smothered under some awful production.
    Awful production, scripts and directing. Although I did like ROTS, a little more than TFA, which was a solid movie, imho.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I think it would be funny if someday someone decided to re-do the prequel trilogy. "Sorry George, those movies sucked ass, so we've got someone who's gonna come in and do them the way they should have been done, and from here on out those are gonna be considered the canonical versions."

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @Mantra
    I would be completely fine with that. The overall story deserves better than what was delivered with the prequels.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    @Mantra
    I would be completely fine with that. The overall story deserves better than what was delivered with the prequels.
    I wonder if it would actually require a new film or they could just rework what they have with some better editing, fixed fx, deleted scenes, etc. There are parts of the prequels that I really do enjoy a lot, but in general, yeah they are not the best.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I wonder if it would actually require a new film or they could just rework what they have with some better editing, fixed fx, deleted scenes, etc. There are parts of the prequels that I really do enjoy a lot, but in general, yeah they are not the best.
    No amount of editing and effects could fix that writing.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    nah, they really would have to rebuild it all from the ground up.

Attack of the Clones is totally and completely unsalvageable.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    nah, they really would have to rebuild it all from the ground up.

Attack of the Clones is totally and completely unsalvageable.
    Agreed. I watched TPM for the first time in 15 years and it was better than I remember. ROTS was a good film, but AOTC is just a mess on every level. It should be shown to film students on how NOT to make a movie.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Not sure where to discuss this. Man, Lucas is such a tool.

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/...sed-again.html

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I remember reading a while ago that Fox still owns the distribution rights to the original trilogy so it's not really Disney's call. Also, whilst they're not perfect, Harmy's versions that are mentioned in that article are pretty good.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I really hate how Lucas states that the original movies "no longer exist" and were "half finished" when they were originally released and that the new special editions are the "definitive" editions. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo!

The new music and dance sequence in Jabba's palace is the worst. I can't even enjoy ROTJ now. It's awful.

And kids now will never know the magic of the the "Jub Jub" song.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-04-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    And kids now will never know the magic of the the "Jub Jub" song.
    This x 1000000. The new age crap music they put in its place is bloody awful

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    This x 1000000. The new age crap music they put in its place is bloody awful
    it's not awful (i actually love music like that), it just doesn't make sense in the context.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    The added stuff from those Special Editions are just horrendous as it makes the film feel very dated in the visual effects. Plus, I'm still pissed off at the end of ROTJ where they put Hayden Christensen over Sebastian Shaw which is just fucking blasphemous and an insult towards Shaw. I feel sorry for all of those people who were involved w/ the original visual effects in the original trilogy where the work they put in for those films is then polished and removed in favor of what Lucas wants in his idea that the film is better. Fuck Lucas.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Not sure where to discuss this. Man, Lucas is such a tool.

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/...sed-again.html
    He did the same to THX-1138, which completely broke the immersion of the film and is shit to the original theatrical cut.
    It's a shame that there is no possible way to see the original, in an unedited and remastered version.
    http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=541751

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    He did the same to THX-1138, which completely broke the immersion of the film and is shit to the original theatrical cut.
    It's a shame that there is no possible way to see the original, in an unedited and remastered
    The 77 cut exists on Laserdisc (though I've never seen it or the original cut, I've read the only difference is the 77 cut has scenes that Warner removed from the original cut edited back in). I'm sure there's probably a rip of that somewhere online

also I'm sure there are some Star Wars fans out there that are probably working on preserving it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This all confuses me very much..

I have on DVD the original theatrical releases...all three of them. They came on bonus discs with the remastered trilogy boxset released in 2008..
    What are you guys talking about, specifically?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    This all confuses me very much..

I have on DVD the original theatrical releases...all three of them. They came on bonus discs with the remastered trilogy boxset released in 2008..
    What are you guys talking about, specifically?
    I don't have that myself but I'm pretty sure that that's in 4:3 and a pretty bad transfer from the laserdisc. There's a youtube video from Harmy that goes into detail about the problems with that transfer...I think. It's been ages since I've read up on the whole thing.

I guess the complaint from most fans should really be that there isn't a copy of the theatrical release of the movies that's watchable for most people.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yes. Most fans would like a blu-ray of the original three movies, unaltered.

With Star Trek (TOS) blu-ray, they gave fans an option, watch an unaltered, original episode, or a remastered version with added CGI in place of models and some sets, and they did a much better job with giving the old episodes an update than Lucas did with his shitty hackwork.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I don't have that myself but I'm pretty sure that that's in 4:3 and a pretty bad transfer from the laserdisc. There's a youtube video from Harmy that goes into detail about the problems with that transfer...I think. It's been ages since I've read up on the whole thing.

I guess the complaint from most fans should really be that there isn't a copy of the theatrical release of the movies that's watchable for most people.
    I won't be watching that video outlining all of the shortcomings! hahaha, Ignorance is bliss in this particular scenario.
    You know, now that i think about.. It DOES seem a little strange looking and I'm guessing it's because the aspect ratio?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    .. It DOES seem a little strange looking and I'm guessing it's because the aspect ratio?
    Yeah, I think it's just like The Abyss DVD where it's in 4:3 and presented in widescreen. So you end up with black bars on the side and on the top!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I remember reading a while ago that Fox still owns the distribution rights to the original trilogy so it's not really Disney's call. Also, whilst they're not perfect, Harmy's versions that are mentioned in that article are pretty good.
    I think you're underplaying the Harmy versions a bit by calling them "pretty good". They have become the only versions of the films I will watch and I honestly doubt an official release of the UOT would look better, especially once he releases them in 1080p.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I think you're underplaying the Harmy versions a bit by calling them "pretty good". They have become the only versions of the films I will watch and I honestly doubt an official release of the UOT would look better, especially once he releases them in 1080p.
    That's fair. They're the only versions I watch too. I don't even own the official releases because I want the original cuts. The sound on Harmy's versions deserves to be praised too. I'm not at home so can't check but I think A New Hope has around 20 different tracks, Including DTS. The guy's a star.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just watched TFA this afternoon. It was my third time watching it, and I don't know why, but on my third viewing, it really clicked with me. I liked it before, but now I hold it in the same league as TOT and Rogue One. It was a great Star Wars film. It's a film you can watch repeatedly, and scene-by-scene, it's gorgeous, aesthetically, it's just wonderful.

When I have more time, I would to compare and contrast TFA with R1. Both are great films with their strengths and a few flaws.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 04-23-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    The new music and dance sequence in Jabba's palace is the worst. I can't even enjoy ROTJ now. It's awful.
    You mean to say you don't appreciate the delicate subtleties in the giant singing testicle muppet's vocal breakdown?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    You mean to say you don't appreciate the delicate subtleties in the giant singing testicle muppet's vocal breakdown?
    oh my god, when he gets right up in the camera and his spit is flying all over...who the fuck thought that would be something people want or need to see? and then you get the AMAZING practical effects with the rancor and you're like...why? why would they put this CG abomination in the same segment of the film with this fantastic monster???

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    oh my god, when he gets right up in the camera and his spit is flying all over...who the fuck thought that would be something people want or need to see? and then you get the AMAZING practical effects with the rancor and you're like...why? why would they put this CG abomination in the same segment of the film with this fantastic monster???
    George Lucas. What have you done?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Even though I own the blu ray set, I will just mostly watch Harmy's when it comes to a new hope and ROTJ, but I wont hesitate to pop in the Empire blu ray as that seems to be the only good movie in the SE format. Disney owns the world, and should give the fans what they want, because they love money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Even though I own the blu ray set, I will just mostly watch Harmy's when it comes to a new hope and ROTJ, but I wont hesitate to pop in the Empire blu ray as that seems to be the only good movie in the SE format. Disney owns the world, and should give the fans what they want, because they love money.
    Ah, but they're just respecting the creator of it all. Believe me, when Lucas exits this mortal coil, the unaltered trilogy will be released with the quickness.