Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    @allegro Robert Plant use to say as a solo artist that he would never play any Zeppelin songs but by his 1988 tour he was playing Zeppelin songs, here is a setlist from 1988
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/robert...-73d0868d.html

This is an NIN site, how many times has TR said he was going to do something and didn't do it, or wasn't going to do something and did it.

By your logic without Bonham its not Zeppelin (I will be the first one to admit Bonham was freaking awesome, but unless you have a time machine or you can resurrect the dead you're never going to see that). Also by that logic unless you saw the Who pre 1978 you didn't really see the Who, or unless you saw the Stones pre 1969 you never saw the Stones, and it wasn't really the Beatles unless its with Pete Best.

I have watched the Blu Ray of the 2007 show of Zeppelin with Plant, Page, Jones, and Jason Bonham, and I thought they did great, it seems a shame to me that the Zeppelin catalog has to sit dormant because Bonham is no longer with us.

I'll be the first to admit, this probably isn't going to happen, for real, but people also said there is no way Trump would ever be president (and Stephen Colbert is not the only one that throws up in his mouth when mentioning Trump and president in the same sentence). You never know, after last years election anything is possible.

.......and if I had a time machine I would go to this show
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/led-ze...-63d67a77.html

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah I saw this one: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/led-ze...-63d61657.html

And, oddly enough, I thought the two Page/Plant tours I saw in the 90s were better shows.

I'm not going to drift this thread about how the Stones (whom I have seen about 15 years ago) are a mere shadow of their former band, and ditto for The Who (although Keith Moon added zero, and too much filler, to The Who, and the Beatles didn't really BECOME "THE Beatles" until Ringo).

Led Zeppelin, themselves, deemed the band as dead when Bonzo died. Their catalog lives on, but the soul of the band was gone. Hence why they never toured again as Zeppelin.

I have seen both Plant and JPJ perform Zeppelin songs on non-Zeppelin tours. But they did their own versions of the songs. JPJ's live version of "When the Levee Breaks" didn't have any vocals:

Plant with his Band of Joy in 2011 did this:

And this:

Here's Plant doing "Kashmir" live in 2014:

This isn't the same as re-forming Zeppelin and touring.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-06-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Well I don't need "Led Zeppelin" live. I would like to see Page and Plant again, doing songs like are on Walking into Clarksdale and reworking songs that are in plant's range.
    What id REALLY like is another P and P album of new material; I loved songs like Wonderful One and My Heart Was in Your Hands (I think it was called.) I was seriously hoping that partnership was going to continue. it sounds like that ain't gonna happen. And I DAMN sure don't think we'll be getting another led zep reunion show, ever.
    @allegro have you heard Them Crooked Vultures? Is that what you mean by JPJ live, or did he do an actual solo tour?

Oh and I was gonna say: at least we have the Space Shifters. They are amazing
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-06-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    He did a solo tour for his album "Zooma."

I saw this one:
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-p...-53d823d5.html
    Last edited by allegro; 05-06-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    He did a solo tour for his album "Zooma."

I saw this one:
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-p...-53d823d5.html
    wow, cool! RIGHt after 9/11.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    @allegro First of all I was joking about the Beatles, I have seen the Stones with and without Bill Wyman but always with Ron Wood and it could be argued that without Brian Jones or even Mick Taylor in the early 70's that it really isn't the Stones. I never saw the Who with Keith Moon but I did see them without and compared to the video I have seen, there seemed to be something missing without Moon.

Now Back to Zeppelin, if it happens at all as rumor suggests, this would be a one off show for Desert Trip in Indio California. No Zeppelin tour just one show, if it happens at all. I agree with you without John Bonham its not Zeppelin, but drummers have been emulating John Bonham for decades and most likely if it happened Jason would be the drummer. Whoever the drummer would be, could play the drum parts exactly (but probably won't and you will always miss Bonham) as John Bonham played them, Page, Plant and JPJ could get any drummer they wanted for the gig. Its not like they are writing new material then you would definitely notice the absence of Bonham. If this show were to happen you can bet, Zeppelin fans will pay gobs of money and travel half way around the globe to see this show if it happens.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    @allegro First of all I was joking about the Beatles, I have seen the Stones with and without Bill Wyman but always with Ron Wood and it could be argued that without Brian Jones or even Mick Taylor in the early 70's that it really isn't the Stones. I never saw the Who with Keith Moon but I did see them without and compared to the video I have seen, there seemed to be something missing without Moon.

Now Back to Zeppelin, if it happens at all as rumor suggests, this would be a one off show for Desert Trip in Indio California. No Zeppelin tour just one show, if it happens at all. I agree with you without John Bonham its not Zeppelin, but drummers have been emulating John Bonham for decades and most likely if it happened Jason would be the drummer. Whoever the drummer would be, could play the drum parts exactly (but probably won't and you will always miss Bonham) as John Bonham played them, Page, Plant and JPJ could get any drummer they wanted for the gig. Its not like they are writing new material then you would definitely notice the absence of Bonham. If this show were to happen you can bet, Zeppelin fans will pay gobs of money and travel half way around the globe to see this show if it happens.
    We saw The Who perform "Quadrophenia" (my favorite album) and it was pretty good:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-wh...l-bdc85c6.html

Moon's drumming skills weren't hard to match (and Townsend despised Moon's constant fill); Moon's crazy TV-smashing car-in-the-pool PERSONALITY was his main contribution to the band.

The Stones took the shitter after "Some Girls," but that's my generation's stance and I digress, LOL. /drift

Re a Zeppelin show: The first three generations of Zeppelin fans have lots of expendable cash to easily spend gobs of money to see them again. In this age of seemingly-endless nostalgia shows, it'd be an easy cash grab for the band.

(Especially with those VIP-type tix for festivals with your own air-conditioned restrooms and your own bartender.)

But I don't think you're old enough to have seen the live Zeppelin debacle that was Live Aid. Ugh. Pray THAT never happens again.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-06-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It would surely sucks to see the mighty led zeppelin at a freakin fat cats festival. Goes to show the world we live in now.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Okay so here is the deal and the reason why I want this, I have seen just about every band and two bands that I love, sadly I have never seen. Those two bands are Pink Floyd & Led Zeppelin. I have seen Robert Plant live a couple of times and I have seen Roger Waters a couple of times. Both Plant and Rogers were amazing, but I have never seen any version of Pink Floyd and sadly with Richard Wrights passing there will never be a Pink Floyd reunion even if he was a alive there was no way Gilmour and Waters were ever going to patch things up. I have bought every insane box set by both Zeppelin and Floyd. I love them both and they have had such a profound influence on my life. Any version of Zeppelin Page, Plant, JPJ, and whoever for a drummer, I have to see it.

Let me address this to you from a Nine Inch Nails point of view, now I know I am preaching to the choir when I say do you know the feeling leaving a NIN show and they played some song that you weren't expecting like Heresy, The Becoming, Reptile, or Me I'm Not. Then you immediately go to your car and begin playing the shit out of Downward Spiral or The Fragile and you do it for like a month after the show. Every day you just keep playing it over and over again reminiscing about the show. You have that NIN buzz and you want to hold on to it as long as you can because the show was awesome and you want to go to another NIN show but can't afford it. It's that buzz..........

Now keep in mind, for lack of a better word I'm a goth, I dress all in black and I don't think I own any clothing with any color at all. My skin is porcelain white and my hair is a darker shade of black. I hate the sunlight, and the reason I say this is to go to a Led Zeppelin show in Indio California means I have to stand outside in the desert heat all day long, with the sun beating down on me. I hate festivals, I hate crowds and I hate people. The idea of even going to this thing is already making me nausea, it is as close to Hell that I could ever be in........

But to stand there and have the ground shake under my feet to the rhythm of a Jimmy Page riff, to hear them play Ten Years Gone, For Your Life, or Achilles Last Stand and I know John Bonham isn't going to be there and I am going to have to pay a million dollars to stand a million miles away............SO FUCKING WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 05-07-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Man, it's a good thing you're not a rabid Mozart fan! Or the Ramones!! (They're all dead)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Man, it's a good thing you're not a rabid Mozart fan! Or the Ramones!! (They're all dead)
    Fan of both actually, and I saw the Ramones two times, met them as well.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    ithink jpj did a few tours for sure to support thunderthief, he was on dmg records for a while according to wiki he still plays on a lot of albums, i think another reunion show is unlikely, everyone is doing their own thing, plus sadly getting up there in years
    -Louie

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    had to be done

-Louie

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    had to be done

-Louie
    It's so sad, everybody always forgets JPJ.......

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ithink jpj did a few tours for sure to support thunderthief, he was on dmg records for a while according to wiki he still plays on a lot of albums, i think another reunion show is unlikely, everyone is doing their own thing, plus sadly getting up there in years
    -Louie
    You're right, it WAS a tour for Thunderthief that we saw!!

I don't understand why Plant has aged SO MUCH. He wasn't abusing himself nearly as much as Page and Bonham but he looks about 20 years older than his actual age. Maybe more.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wonder what has happened to the Page project he talked up a little bit, but that hasn't seemed to go anywhere.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Ah, me, I really don't care about a zeppelin reunion.
    I had already accepted that LZ died the year I was born and then we got page and plant which was WAY more than I expected.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I really don't want a Led Zeppelin reunion. What's the point? They don't need the money. Robert Plant's got a nice solo career. JPJ is doing fine. Why should we spend thousands of dollars to go to some fucking desert just to see them?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Ah fuck it, I stand alone against the entire Echoing The Sound community, I kind of feel like Vanilla Ice or Fred Durst, just fucking hate me!!!!!

https://media.tenor.co/images/de61c4...b86e/tenor.gif

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-28-2015/scvRF6.gif
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 05-07-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I've always wondered which scenes in Almost Famous are factual about Led Zeppelin and to an extent the other bands it references since, it's an amalgamation of everything into one story.
    What is true or exaggerated with how they portrayed what they did back then?

I also don't mind them touring again.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    I've always wondered which scenes in Almost Famous are factual about Led Zeppelin and to an extent the other bands it references since, it's an amalgamation of everything into one story.
    What is true or exaggerated with how they portrayed what they did back then?

I also don't mind them touring again.

Thank you, I don't get it the Stones have been touring for the last 20 years on a 3 out of 5 original members ratio and nobody says shit, McCartney can tour until he is 90 and nobody will give a fuck and the millions of people that will still go to a McCartney show are not going to hear Wings songs. The possiblity that Zeppelin may reform for one show in the middle of the desert and everybody has a problem with it, I don't get it.

Almost Famous, I love that movie.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Ah fuck it, I stand alone against the entire Echoing The Sound community, I kind of feel like Vanilla Ice or Fred Durst, just fucking hate me!!!!!

https://media.tenor.co/images/de61c4...b86e/tenor.gif

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-28-2015/scvRF6.gif
    lolol dude it's certainly ok that YOU want an LZ show and I hope that it happens for your sake.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    @elevenism this is where it is going to get really funny because I've made such a big deal about it and all the wild speculation that is going on, on the internet because of the fact that Robert Plant's website has gone dark and only says "Any Time Now". Watch this will be revealed that Robert Plant is launching a new App. and then I will just feel like an ass!!!! This shit happens to me all the time, when I take a stand on something I always end up looking like an ass. So I am almost convinced at this point there will NOT be a Zeppelin show and I'm an ass!!!!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @botley :P

i take it you don't like robert plant solo in general because he only has one "string" of albums.
    i would ask you to check out Lullaby though. it's a little different.
    nu phone who dis

EDIT: I do like Mighty Morphin' Rearranger

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i was a little kid but I actually saw them made me a fan for life Oakland Colosseum day on the green was 1977, damn I'm an old man the concert "T" literally disintegrated rumor was peter Grant beat up Bill Graham', there was a lawsuit was said zeppelin wouldn't tour America again and definitely not the bay area, anyways that was a long, long time ago and now I feel old
    -Louie

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    i was a little kid but I actually saw them made me a fan for life Oakland Colosseum day on the green was 1977, damn I'm an old man the concert "T" literally disintegrated rumor was peter Grant beat up Bill Graham', there was a lawsuit was said zeppelin wouldn't tour America again and definitely not the bay area, anyways that was a long, long time ago and now I feel old
    -Louie
    Wait, I thought that whole thing was about Peter Grant's kid who had been playing around with a sign and one of Graham's staff members slapped the kid in front of John Bonham who got very upset over what happened. Grant found out as he, Bonham, and some of the band's entourage beat up that person and trashed Graham's office. That whole '77 tour I read was a mess and certainly was one of the darkest chapters in the band's career considering that the band had noted criminals as bodyguards and that really hurt the band's rep.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Richard Cole was a big giant brute. He was notorious for beating people up. (Spinal Tap Manager with Cricket Bat), but he wasn't really the henchman most of the time; Cole was. Grant, however, was also LEGENDARY for making sure that Led Zeppelin made every.single.cent.possible and fiercely protecting the band's money. NOBODY made money for a band like Peter Grant. He set the standard for that shit.

Page's constant boozing and alleged heroin use wasn't helping those last tours. There was enough boozing and womanizing to nearly kill all of them on that tour, and it SHOWED onstage, ugh. 30 minute guitar solo, 20 minute drum solo, plenty of times for me to do a run to the ladies' room and everybody else to do Beer Runs.

Fab Journalist Lisa Robinson was around back then and tells all: "Stairway to Excess" - @ziltoid , here's your Almost Famous info.

re the infamous "Mud Shark" story:

“It wasn’t a shark,” Richard Cole told me years later. “It was a red snapper. And it wasn’t some big ritualistic thing; it was in and out and a laugh and the girl wasn’t sobbing—she was a willing participant. It was so fast, and over and done with, and no one from the band was there. I don’t think anyone who was there remembers the same thing.”
    Last edited by allegro; 05-08-2017 at 12:30 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    In 2012, somebody finally uploaded the opening song from the show I saw at the Pontiac Silverdome, which held the record for the biggest indoor show in the U.S. for several decades (76,229 people).

All those explosions you hear in the beginning isn't the band's pyrotechnics; it's people in the audience blowing shit up. We heard that a chick on the level below us got her eye nearly blown out by a hand-tossed M-80. People were setting bonfires on the main floor. Robert Plant stopped the show several times to ask people in the front to stop moving and swaying, since people were getting trampled.

We were all pretty fucking high on several ounces of weed.

They made $3,500 PER MINUTE for this show, in 1977. I was 16 years old, in high school, and making $3.25 per hour working for my Dad, LOL. My ticket cost less than 20 bucks.)

Last edited by allegro; 08-31-2020 at 01:47 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    @allegro Now I hate you!!!!!!! no wonder you don't want them to do a show, you got to see the real thing. DAMN I am so fucking jealous!!!!! and I don't really hate you I was just kidding, but I am really fucking jealous. What next?????? don't tell me.........don't say it............. Pink Floyd Animals tour 1977???? hmmmm, one of the Wall shows 1980?????

The rumor is they turned down $14,000,000 for Desert Trip last year for a two hour set, and apparently they have thrown way more money at them this time...at $14,000,000 thats $166,666.667 per minute Jimmy Page has got to like that number (you know the whole Aliester Crowley thing)
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 05-07-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @allegro Now I hate you!!!!!!! no wonder you don't want them to do a show, you got to see the real thing. DAMN I am so fucking jealous!!!!! and I don't really hate you I was just kidding, but I am really fucking jealous. What next?????? don't tell me.........don't say it............. Pink Floyd Animals tour 1977???? hmmmm, one of the Wall shows 1980?????
    No. But my first concert was Alice Cooper in 1973 at Cobo in Detroit
    Last edited by allegro; 08-31-2020 at 01:43 AM.