Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    @allegro Damn you have seen some shit, and I mean that in a good way. Since you've seen Led Zeppelin 77 and Alice Cooper at the peak of his career, and I am assuming you have seen a lot of shows since then. I'd love to know what your top five concerts are.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Here's Robert's son, Logan, born in 1979, who owns a craft beer brewery:

Last edited by allegro; 05-08-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I can almost hear his ol' da, singing the theme music for their new product launch. "Won't you take me to— Beavertowwwwn, won't you take me to — BEAVERTOWN!"

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm afraid to ask what their logo looks like.

Their legendary cans (artwork) are amazing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Their beer is also very excellent. If you're in the right bit of London you can go and drink at the Brewery on a Saturday, it gets very busy on nice days.
    It's also, conveniently for me, incredibly local.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    So do you guys want to play "what is your favorite Zeppelin song?"

for me it's easily Achilles Last Stand

And as a bonus, how about best Robert plant song? I have to go with 29 palms, but Why from Now and Zen (when you've lost and found a brand new friend, that one) comes pretty damn close and epitomizes what I love about the old Robert plant albums.
    I was fucking obsessed with those albums in the mid nineties and got to where I thought I might like it better then zeppelin
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-11-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    @elevenism good song, for me its almost any thing off Physical Graffiti.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    It changes all the time but currently is "The Rover" closely followed by "The Rain Song"

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    It changes all the time but currently is "The Rover" closely followed by "The Rain Song"
    it changes for me too, but I will also say that Poor Tom is definitely up there, and Ten Years Gone

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    it changes for me too, but I will also say that Poor Tom is definitely up there, and Ten Years Gone
    Yes Ten Years Gone is one of my favorites and it changes for me all the time as well. Lately I have been really into Led Zeppelin III and a lot of the acoustic tracks on that album, but I am all over the place, When The Levee Breaks, Over The Hills and Far Away, How Many More Times, Sick Again, The Wanton Song I could gone on forever.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 05-11-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I guess it would be easier by album:

I: "Babe I'm gonna leave you"
    II: "Thank you"
    III: "Friends"
    Untitled: "The Battle of Evermore"
    Houses of the Holy: "The Rain Song"
    Physical Graffiti: "The Rover"
    Presence: "For your life"
    In through the out door: "Carouselambra"
    Coda: "Darlene"

great ...now i'll be listening to Led Zep all weekend...

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post

great ...now i'll be listening to Led Zep all weekend...
    Hahaha me too. Actually I think I'm going to listen to Now and Zen.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    @henryeatscereal Caroulsambra is a badass song I'll be listening to Zeppelin all weekend just put Physical Graffiti on repeat. If they announce that show I'll go nuts.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Hahaha me too. Actually I think I'm going to listen to Now and Zen.
    Tomorrow i'm taking "Physical Graffiti" and "Led Zep III" to work, we'll get to the rest on the weekend!

It would be IT! @Art Vandelay , maybe i'm dreaming too much but i would love a world tour with a Mexico date obviously...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    It changes all of the time. Sometimes, it would "Immigrant Song" or "Achilles Last Stand" if I want something rocking or something like "Kashmir" which I can never get tired of. Yet, I also fucking love "The Rain Song" as it's just so beautiful. I also will go for something like "All My Love" and "Fool in the Rain" or "Trampled Under Foot". You can never go wrong with Zeppelin. It is really hard to say who had the better output in the 70s. Them, Bowie, Floyd, or Queen.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    It changes all of the time. Sometimes, it would "Immigrant Song" or "Achilles Last Stand" if I want something rocking or something like "Kashmir" which I can never get tired of. Yet, I also fucking love "The Rain Song" as it's just so beautiful. I also will go for something like "All My Love" and "Fool in the Rain" or "Trampled Under Foot". You can never go wrong with Zeppelin. It is really hard to say who had the better output in the 70s. Them, Bowie, Floyd, or Queen.
    IN the actual 1970s, Zeppelin ruled the "rock" category, hands down.

Nobody outsold them, tours or records.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I could never pick a favorite Zeppelin song, not even with a loaded gun pointed to my head.

But, here are a few of my favorites:

Last edited by allegro; 08-31-2020 at 01:38 AM.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Another of my favorites is Celebration Day.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    no desert trip in 2017 it seems. that leaves the mystery complete in regards to plant's website message.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    no desert trip in 2017 it seems. that leaves the mystery complete in regards to plant's website message.
    Good. I don't want to spend money I don't have just to go thousands of miles to see them in some lame music festival.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Jimmy Page has recently stated that next year there will be previously unheard LZ music and "all manner of surprises" released next year.

That statement can be taken several different ways, but if there's a new campaign of reissues so shortly after the most recent one, I can't imagine how they wouldn't include surround mixes.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    my conribution

-Louie

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Interesting timing on this thread bump lol. Given the climate lately regarding gender power imbalances and sexual abuse, I've been thinking about how interesting it is that we as a society have given our rockstars a free pass on some insane shit they openly did. Robert, Jimmy, and Bowie specifically were all pretty open about it as well. It seems like every rock star was in that world in those days, but LZ are relevant in this thread and I included Bowie because he took Lori Maddox's virginity when she was 14 before she moved on to be Jimmy Page's secret hidden gal until she was of age.

I was kind of blown away by this quote Robert Plant gave to Rolling Stone in 1975:

If you listen to "Sick Again," a track from Physical Graffiti, the words show I feel a bit sorry for [the girls]. "Clutchin pages from your teenage dream in the lobby of the Hotel Paradise/Through the circus of the L.A. Queen how fast you learn the downhill slide." One minute she's 12 and the next minute she's 13 and over the top. Such a shame. They haven't got the style that they had in the old days... way back in '68.

I should say I love Bowie and Zeppelin both a lot so this isn't me going after them out of some perceived moral obligation. I was more approaching it from a sociological point of view - how interesting it is that we've essentially pardoned all those guys in general. David Bowie died an international icon with immense love and sorrow flowing from seemingly every human and when you hear a bad word about Zeppelin it's always about them stealing the blues.

What do you guys think of this phenomenon? Do you just ignore it and go on with the music? Do you think we're going to make our way there culturally soon? Does the dam break with actors, comedians, Hollywood types and spread out from there to other areas of fame? Should we expect another massive wave of stories of abuse within the music industry?

I dunno, just babbling.
    Last edited by Harry Seaward; 12-20-2017 at 05:42 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm sure there's a sense of guilt from Bowie and Zeppelin over those things back then as they were probably be appalled by what they did. Sadly, Bowie isn't around to defend himself anymore but that's not going to stop me from listening to his music or anything he's done. Same with Zeppelin though 3/4 of the band is alive and well as I don't think they're willing to talk about it because it's too uncomfortable for them since they now live completely different lives.

I think this whole wave of sexual assault stories and such is getting out of control as we now have Rose McGowan going after Meryl Streep for not really saying anything. I'm sorry but I think Rose is now acting like a fuckin' bitch. Plus, that Time magazine cover is such bullshit as we know that one of them uses her sexuality as manipulation so she can write awful songs about men who fucked her over.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'll keep it short since it's off-topic but sadly I can see this whole thing turning to apathy before the past sins of the music business have a chance to be under the microscope.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Interesting timing on this thread bump lol. Given the climate lately regarding gender power imbalances and sexual abuse, I've been thinking about how interesting it is that we as a society have given our rockstars a free pass on some insane shit they openly did. Robert, Jimmy, and Bowie specifically were all pretty open about it as well. It seems like every rock star was in that world in those days, but LZ are relevant in this thread and I included Bowie because he took Lori Maddox's virginity when she was 14 before she moved on to be Jimmy Page's secret hidden gal until she was of age.

I was kind of blown away by this quote Robert Plant gave to Rolling Stone in 1975:

If you listen to "Sick Again," a track from Physical Graffiti, the words show I feel a bit sorry for [the girls]. "Clutchin pages from your teenage dream in the lobby of the Hotel Paradise/Through the circus of the L.A. Queen how fast you learn the downhill slide." One minute she's 12 and the next minute she's 13 and over the top. Such a shame. They haven't got the style that they had in the old days... way back in '68.

I should say I love Bowie and Zeppelin both a lot so this isn't me going after them out of some perceived moral obligation. I was more approaching it from a sociological point of view - how interesting it is that we've essentially pardoned all those guys in general. David Bowie died an international icon with immense love and sorrow flowing from seemingly every human and when you hear a bad word about Zeppelin it's always about them stealing the blues.

What do you guys think of this phenomenon? Do you just ignore it and go on with the music? Do you think we're going to make our way there culturally soon? Does the dam break with actors, comedians, Hollywood types and spread out from there to other areas of fame? Should we expect another massive wave of stories of abuse within the music industry?

I dunno, just babbling.
    the rich and powerful have always had their way sexually, we can see it played out in the animal kingdom even the bible, musicians are not above this, Jerry lee Louis comes to mind even Elvis, does that make it right, no,what I would hope, that this starts a conversation about sex and and general treatment of human beings, social media has some responsibility, i am learning about things like "thirst traps" consumption architecture, and various other forms of modern addiction but as all things it begins with dialog, teaching your children correct social edicate doesn't simple shit like guys keep your dick in you pants unless she asks to see it, it's going to be a long road, and more people we looked up to are going to be pulled down. raise your fists, but also raise your children.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I love the long drawn out version of Kashmir on the no quarter live album. Not the classic line up but as close as they ever got. I think it's Bonhams son.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah, it all come down to proper education, sadly most people are too dumb or self obsessed to understand that