Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1624

Thread: Depeche Mode

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    FYI, the “Spanish Taster” mix of THATH is Martin’s original version. Alan preferred his own mix which ended up on the album.
    No shit? Huh, I never actually knew that.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    No shit? Huh, I never actually knew that.
    I didn't either. Pretty interesting.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Heiko Brune: Which version of 'To Have And To Hold' was first - LP or Spanish Taster? Which of the two do you prefer and why?

Alan: The LP version was recorded first and is possibly one of DM's darkest tracks. The Spanish Taster is basically Martin's demo which he insisted on recording as well. Which one do you think I prefer? I don't think there is a more perfect example of the musical differences between myself and Martin.

Carsten Vogt: How much effort did it actually take you to convince (or persuade) Martin to release your version of 'To Have And To Hold' rather than his?

Alan: It wasn't really a question of persuading or convincing - the album version was the primary one, he just wanted to include his demo on the album.

>>

Aaron Henderson: On 31/8/98, Carsten Vogt asked a question about Martin's demo of 'To Have And To Hold'. The whole question + answer has me a bit confused... Was there an argument or something regarding which version went on the album and did Martin's demo end up out there somewhere? Please enlighten me.

Alan: It's really very simple. Martin submitted his demo in the usual way and although I liked the song, his original idea was too 'lightweight' for my taste (and I felt, the mood of the album) so I pushed it in a darker, more atmospheric direction. This was the primary version of the song which was always intended to be on the album. Martin however was very attached to his more 'poppy' demo and said that he wanted to record it too - hence the 'Spanish Taster'. It wasn't a question of fighting with one another over this, it's just that Martin saw the song in a different way to me. When I originally answered this question, I said that it was a good example of the musical differences between us.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 03-15-2023 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Heiko Brune: Which version of 'To Have And To Hold' was first...
    Awesome info! I should probably read/listen to more interviews.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Is the demo for THATH unofficially called 'Icelandic Taster'? I've had it for a long time without knowing for sure if it's real or fake.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Is the demo for THATH unofficially called 'Icelandic Taster'? I've had it for a long time without knowing for sure if it's real or fake.
    Not that I know of. I’ve always referred to it as Spanish Taster.

First dress rehearsal show today. Hoping for a set list.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Well that's interesting as shit. For anyone reading, the Icelandic Taster version is/was an instrumental remix that found its way onto the Ultra Rare Trax Vol 4 bootleg back in 1994 that kinda sounds like the Spanish Taster version. That cd series always had some lesser-heard official mixes jumbled in with some unofficial stuff, so everyone assumed the THATH mix was a bootleg. I just listened to it again in light of this question.... honestly, it's really hard to say yes or no. Obviously the remix name is made-up bullshit, but now I kinda wonder where it came from. Not much info is out there about who actually made the mix, but at least one site listed David Bascombe instead of some other dj/producer/remix-artist. That would make a lot of sense. Hmmm, interesting....

Incidentally, Reaps, I've always enjoyed your THATH remix

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

So this an unofficial remix of the "new" song, i hope the album version sounds as good as this, seems this album will be a banger!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post

So this an unofficial remix of the "new" song, i hope the album version sounds as good as this, seems this album will be a banger!
    That’s the leaked live audio from February and someone has added their own instrumental to it.

Set list for rehearsal today:

Ghosts Again
    I Feel You
    A Pain That I'm Used To
    World In My Eyes
    Stripped
    Wrong
    John The Revelator
    Enjoy The Silence

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Set list for rehearsal today:

Ghosts Again
    I Feel You
    A Pain That I'm Used To
    World In My Eyes
    Stripped
    Wrong
    John The Revelator
    Enjoy The Silence
    Love seeing JTR in that setlist. I assume APTIUT is the remix. I know they really enjoy playing it that way live, but I kinda miss the album version at this point.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    HOLY SHIT

SINCE 1994!

http://www.pierluigipiccini.it/ricor...e-devi-vivere/

“For now I know we have this massive record ahead of us and an ongoing tour, including a series of as-yet-unannounced dates in Asia and Australia, through Spring 2024.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Australia
    Wow, man I'd be soooo f'n happy for you!

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Excerpt from an interview in the german magazine "Stern":

At the concert in Munich Gahan keeps looking over his right shoulder. His gaze is searching for Fletcher. "I had the feeling he was there," the singer says. Fletcher loved the applause, not for himself, but always for the band, he said. What he would have thought about the performance? Gahan grins. We had his favorite saying printed in Latin on the vinyl. It says, barely visible: 'That was really bad!

Est vere Malus = Latin > It is very bad

Image of it on the vinyl:

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Wow, man I'd be soooo f'n happy for you!
    Only 30 years later!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    A lot of people have received their copy on vinyl today.

Meanwhile, I didn't know this existed...

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    All song lyrics transcribed, I think I count 3 with the word “tongue” in them:

https://www.depechemode.sk/magazin/a...u-memento-mori

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What a statement! The album flows like a charm. Melodies are as soulful as DM's ever were. The production is outstanding. Our boys' voices have honestly not sounded this good since their heydays of Black Celebration - SOFAD, and I'm saying this as a huge fan of the Ben Hillier albums. On first listen, this is like a mix of Black Celebration's atmosphere, Violator's concise songwriting and hooks, Ultra's depth and Playing the Angel's harsher industrial sounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If anyone has a decent quality sample, I'd really appreciate a PM. I'm hoping my vinyl will arrive today or tomorrow.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    New NME article about Richard Butler’s contributions contains this interesting bit:

Four of the album’s tracks – with a further two set to be released later this year – feature songwriting credits from Butler.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/depec...o-mori-3417557

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This album is quite enjoyable.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah, damn, so Memento Mori is awesome.

"My Cosmos is Mine" starts it off dark and abstract, and "Speak to Me" is haunting and darkly beautiful – two amazing bookend tracks for this album.

For some reason I was immediately drawn in by "Always You" though I'm not reading much from others about that track. "Caroline's Monkey" is a huge surprise. Based solely off the title I was like wtf... but it's really cool. I dig it a lot.

The only two that haven't pulled me in yet are "People Are Good" & "Never Let Me Go". I think they're both good songs, but at the moment they each just leave me wanting a little more... not sure what though.

And I'll admit, the tribute pic of the 3 shadows got to me just a little bit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So I should be driving to Sacramento right now to see this first show, but I decided to sell my ticket a few weeks ago when they announced more dates. I was fine with it a few weeks ago... not so happy about it today.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Managed to listen to the first half of it on the drive to work. Wow, “Soul With Me” is so beautiful. I’d have that as a funeral song.

I wish Dave did that “rah!” growl in My Favourite Stranger like in the live version. Can’t comment on any other tracks past Soul With Me yet.

Can’t wait to see the set list and how it evolves. I wonder if we will get a surprising closer like with Goodnight Lovers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So I should be driving to Sacramento right now to see this first show, but I decided to sell my ticket a few weeks ago when they announced more dates. I was fine with it a few weeks ago... not so happy about it today.
    Why would you do such a thing? They probably don't have many more tours in them. I think we'll be lucky to get another album and a marketed 'goodbye tour'.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk View Post
    Why would you do such a thing?
    Lol seriously I know. I should have added that when they announced more dates, I bought tickets where I live and sold the Sac tickets.... so I'm still going, but not till f'n November. I've done the multi-show-per-tour thing in the past, but with ticket prices and travel costs this year I just had to give in somewhere.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Come to Aus and see them with me for my first time!

Listened to the rest of the record and really love it, Speak To Me is the perfect closer.

How Martin went from Eternal and Fail to something as ethereal as Soul With Me is astounding. Only one song with him on lead vocals but man, it more than makes up for only having one song by him on the album.

I also really love “Never Let Me Go”.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Yep. Okay. Easily best album since Playing The Angel...maybe even Ultra or SOFAD. One listen and I'm hooked - that almost never happens. This is the DM I have missed. Holy shit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ^^^ totally agree.

Come to Aus and see them with me for my first time!

Listened to the rest of the record and really love it, Speak To Me is the perfect closer.
    So if you all can push that big ass island you live on a little closer to here, I'll totally go!

My only wish about "Speak to Me" is that it was longer. I don't often say that, but I really want to hear more of it. Great song.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Set list so far:

My Cosmos Is Mine (with Speak To Me intro)
    Wagging Tongue
    Walking In My Shoes
    It’s No Good
    SISTER OF NIGHT (DAVE VOCALS!)