Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Depeche Mode

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

I don't think the admins want people to be afraid to talk.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    i just dislike how you're not allowed to be critical on here without someone calling you a twat for it.
    I don't like it either, and I hope this thread doesn't turn into the sewer that is Manson thread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    I don't like it either, and I hope this thread doesn't turn into the sewer that is Manson thread.
    That hasn't happened in here has it?

Different albums hit people differently. Good friend of mine and another big DM fan feels SOTU is their best since Violator. I couldn't disagree more. Not a big deal though. DM is awesome regardless. :P

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

Guys, just ignore the cheerleaders. Dissenting opinions are allowed.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    exactly. @allegro shouldn't be worried about saying a negative opinion among a bunch of positive ones, and @baudolino - your ears are just fine, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. it wasn't getting manson level bad in here or anything, just wanted to nip that in the bud in case it did.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 03-20-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I have mixed feelings about the album. I attribute this to the fact that I've been working around the clock since this leaked, and the best chance I've had to listen to it was in one car trip. in less than stellar circumstances. There are some good harmonies here and some synthetic witchery that is interesting, but I havent really had a chance to sit down and take it in yet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Totally agree on one point though: DM is still awesome!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Mark me down as one of the supporters. For me, this is Depeche at their gothy best since the Black Celebration or Violator days. Only track I'm not really digging is My Little Universe.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I've listened to this record three times and yeah, I'm in the unimpressed camp. There are some winners, but also some stinkers, too. Still love DM, just not this record. I'm also slightly bummed that there isn't a deluxe DELUXE edition like SOTU.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I heard the whole album with the deluxe tracks and I really like it. Some of the songs like "Soft Touch/Raw Nerve" really stuck out for me. There's a snarl to it and a darkness in there. I like it a lot.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Construction Time Again is the only DM album where i don't ever feel compelled to skip a single song. i love EVERYTHING on it.
    I love how different Depeche Mode fans are. I actually HATE that album. I only have Everything Counts on my iPod and I'm fine with that.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Finally getting a chance to listen to this album on my studio monitors. Okay. I'm in.

The Bonus tracks are fricking fantastic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed that, and come to think of it, isn't it about time DM got the full on documentary treatment? Surely their long story deserves to be told.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Agreed. Though the Synth Britannia documentary has a good chunk devoted to Depeche Mode, and there are individual making-of mini docs for some of the albums on YouTube as well. Not sure where these are from though... were these included with re-issues of the older albums or something?
    Last edited by exilajei; 03-21-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exilajei View Post
    Agreed. Though the Synth Britannia documentary has a good chunk devoted to Depeche Mode, and there are individual making-of mini docs for some of the albums on YouTube as well. Not sure where they're from though... were they included with re-issues of the older albums or something?
    Yeah, all the reissues around 2005 have documentaries on the bonus DVDs. They're all up on YouTube, but I think some of them have pretty big subtitles in French that take up a good deal of the screen.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

Has anyone else posted about how Crystal Castles will be opening for DM?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/0...-depeche-mode/

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exilajei View Post
    Agreed. Though the Synth Britannia documentary has a good chunk devoted to Depeche Mode, and there are individual making-of mini docs for some of the albums on YouTube as well. Not sure where these are from though... were these included with re-issues of the older albums or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Yeah, all the reissues around 2005 have documentaries on the bonus DVDs. They're all up on YouTube, but I think some of them have pretty big subtitles in French that take up a good deal of the screen.
    don't forget depeche mode- BEHIND THE MUSIC!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

That BTM episode is what made me into a fan! I should drag out the the tape and watch it.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    That was a pretty good episode but VH1 as I recalled rarely showed that one. Hopefully, VH1 Classics will release a new remastered edition with new interviews and such considering how popular the band still is.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    That BTM episode is what made me into a fan! I should drag out the the tape and watch it.
    Whoa I've never seen that one!!!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Has anyone else posted about how Crystal Castles will be opening for DM?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/0...-depeche-mode/
    Yep. Trying to ignore that fact. Worst idea ever. Way to annoy the hell out of your 30-40 something fans.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

This old fart arrives well after opening bands have finished.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    That was a pretty good episode but VH1 as I recalled rarely showed that one. Hopefully, VH1 Classics will release a new remastered edition with new interviews and such considering how popular the band still is.
    Yep, I remember having to program the VCR (lol) to record a late night screening.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Do we know if the bonus tracks were mixed by Flood as well? I'm guessing not. Still, after just hearing them, I feel like Happens All the Time or Always could have easily made it as cuts on the album... especially if he had a hand in mixing. Always is my favourite Martin track in a loooong time.
    Last edited by exilajei; 03-22-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

After second listen (was waiting moreless patiently for the CD), very impressed.

For example, I can't remember when was the last time a song moved me emotionally as Broken does... Singing on Should be higher is amazing, is it higher than Set me free (remotivate me)? Some high notes also later in Alone and Soothe (Martin). Sonically very interesting, lot of sounds we've heard before, I could sometimes even feel e.g. Ghosts (those modular synths I guess), and quite energic even without brutal digital drums like e.g. in "telephone" Personal Jesus (which I love of course). Very nice cohesive experience from start till end. Like - it's already over? All 17 songs? Did not feel like that.

So, now to look around for tickets, was hesitating with that.

It's funny how "wrong" song was selected as first single not only here, but also HTDA and Bowie, but in the context of the album they all work much much better.

And, as for Heaven, during chorous it feels for me like the 4/4 rhythm is broken around "sing with joy" and "end up dust" and I had to learn when exactly to play the following drum in my head :-), but when I count it 1-2-3-4 it seems that it flows normally, without break.

Lyrics in deluxe CD are on few places different than in songs, but that's normal.

So, this for me probably concludes year 2013 in music, I've got four amazing albums and no other band I like is going to release something (and I am not really interested in new stuff, it takes a while till I "accept" someone for me new, last one who made this great achievement was Mr. Meeble), but it "was" amazing year: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fk01fiikqon97x/DSC_0267.jpg

PS: I hope Martin is not singing Long time lie accusation to me? :-) True I should do something at last... oh well.

Edit: Recently we were talking about song endings in Bowie topic, and I'm glad two songs here have unexpected "false" ending. Also, when I just slightly start to feel that song is being too predictable, something new happens - loving this. Even All that's mine, which before LP seemed little too repetitive like e.g. Ghost (DM), now somehow changes over time. Maybe they were not sequencing everything, but playing the instrument "linear" during the whole song, thus giving it feel?
    Last edited by Substance242; 03-23-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Got it downloaded straight to my iPod on release. Really liking the new single - Heaven.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I quite liked it. The beginning and end of the album are strongest for me, with the middle suffering from a little slump, but not too much. Some great tracks, some just ok, maybe one or two I will be skipping regularly.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

I love the entire album with the exception of track #8

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Great album, love the extra tracks too. Cannot wait for the Budapest gig (which will be on my bday ).