Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Random HTDA thoughts

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I hope when HTDA come back, Ally is a full-time part of the collective.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Every time I listen to the first EP, it gives me a really warm fuzzy feeling, because that was actually the first Trent-related thing that was released after I started lurking around the original ETS, so I got to witness everyone's reactions to it as new info was coming out.

The main thing I remember is a lot of shitting on Mariqueen and the always-lovely "NIN outtake" comments. Good to know absolutely nothing's changed around these parts.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I think the problem I've had with How to Destroy Angels since the beginning is that it's Trent working in a "collaborative" setting with people who already understand his work and where his head could be at musically so it doesn't really test Trent outside of a comfort zone outside of saying "hey, we're all in this together....we all have final say here." I REALLY love Trent and Atticus's work together but I think if Trent was creating music with individuals with those who bring something ENTIRELY new and unique to the table instead of the electronic production we've come to know and love...I'd be a little bit more understanding of HTDA's need to exist.

I've been extremely critical of HTDA since the beginning, I just wasn't a fan of anything they've released and while Welcome Oblivion has given me a tad more enjoyment since it was released earlier this year...I still think it could benefit from getting a new sense of musical overhaul. What that overhaul and direction change is....I have no idea, but I'm sure they could find it down the road.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I think the problem I've had with How to Destroy Angels since the beginning is that it's Trent working in a "collaborative" setting with people who already understand his work and where his head could be at musically so it doesn't really test Trent outside of a comfort zone outside of saying "hey, we're all in this together....we all have final say here." I REALLY love Trent and Atticus's work together but I think if Trent was creating music with individuals with those who bring something ENTIRELY new and unique to the table instead of the electronic production we've come to know and love...I'd be a little bit more understanding of HTDA's need to exist.
    As long as you're viewing it as "Trent's music" and "Trent's band", you'll always be looking at it wrong, to me

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    As long as you're viewing it as "Trent's music" and "Trent's band", you'll always be looking at it wrong, to me
    Indeed. From what I gathered of Mariqueen's musical interests and works, her influence is all over that record ; Problem is, we're in general way more familiar with Trent's sensibility, so we only recognize what's familiar, and discard what's new and different.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    "How Long" is fucking beautiful.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm really curious as to where this band is going to go now that NIN is back.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Well, I think it could possibly be a situation where Trent alternates between the two. Like, right now he's doing NIN, and then maybe towards the end of 2014 he shifts over to HTDA for a while, and then goes back to NIN, to keep himself from getting burnt out on either project.

I'm more interested in what Mariqueen will do outside of HTDA, really. I know she and the kids are on tour with Trent right now, but maybe they'll take a break from that for a while and she'll work on something else? I don't know. I hope she does, though, because I really enjoy her as a musician.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I'm more interested in what Mariqueen will do outside of HTDA, really. I know she and the kids are on tour with Trent right now, but maybe they'll take a break from that for a while and she'll work on something else? I don't know. I hope she does, though, because I really enjoy her as a musician.
    I'd like to see Sigil 5 be a Trent-lite album, the other 3 crafting a sound with less TR and so less "omg this sounds like TDS" claims

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I'd like to see Sigil 5 be a Trent-lite album, the other 3 crafting a sound with less TR and so less "omg this sounds like TDS" claims
    IDK...the EPs sounded very Nailsy to me. Welcome Oblivion, on the other hand, was a bit of a departure.
    But that's just me.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I think maybe, at most, the first EP had moments where it did feel quite similar to NIN. But when two-thirds of the band (and the people responsible for the music in the band) had been working on the same project together for nearly a decade before, I think some similarity is acceptable. I mean, 2010 was the first time since the Quake soundtrack where he composed for a non-NIN project, right? (Excluding the Doom soundtrack.)

If I'm talking out of my ass again with that date, then forgive me. Just a bit of perspective.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I think maybe, at most, the first EP had moments where it did feel quite similar to NIN. But when two-thirds of the band (and the people responsible for the music in the band) had been working on the same project together for nearly a decade before, I think some similarity is acceptable. I mean, 2010 was the first time since the Quake soundtrack where he composed for a non-NIN project, right? (Excluding the Doom soundtrack.)

If I'm talking out of my ass again with that date, then forgive me. Just a bit of perspective.
    If you want to get into the nitty gritty, I guess there was Videodrones; Questions and Driver Down on the Lost Highway soundtrack. And Marilyn Manson.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Would you still be into HTDA if trent and allesandro didn't tour with them?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericy210 View Post
    I sure would. Q and Atticus as a musical duo? I'd love to hear it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/mariqueen/status/378331495527481344

"we're very sorry to announce that due to unforeseen production conflicts @destroyangels will be unable to perform at voodoo & mountain oasis

our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience, we tried everything to make it work. we will be back". (this is in a follow up tweet from Q)

This is rather unfortunate for those attending. Would be interested to know what the circumstances were....

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericy210 View Post
    Mariqueen's vocals and Atticus' sheer awesomeness is enough to draw me. Alessandro is really not a major reason for me to go at all tbh, he's good but he feels more like a session musician than a part of the band live.

But yeah, I actually WANT some Trent-light stuff on the next album, let the other 2/3 shine through without detractors claiming it sounds like Down In It. Plus, Atticus is awesome.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    https://twitter.com/mariqueen/status/378331495527481344

"we're very sorry to announce that due to unforeseen production conflicts @destroyangels will be unable to perform at voodoo & mountain oasis

our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience, we tried everything to make it work. we will be back". (this is in a follow up tweet from Q)
    Fuck me. I was really looking forward to seeing them in Asheville. If they hadn't been in the bill when the music summit was first announced I wouldn't have bought a $150 weekend pass...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    Fuck me. I was really looking forward to seeing them in Asheville. If they hadn't been in the bill when the music summit was first announced I wouldn't have bought a $150 weekend pass...
    I would let them know that right away, you might be able to get a refund. Even if not, you can probably find a taker for that ticket since it's below the current price.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Although I wasn't going to attend, I'm very disappointed that HTDA won't be playing the festivals. I was really hoping their sets would be streamed. I'm not at all surprised considering the NIN tour, but I can't help but wonder how long we'll have to wait to hear from them again.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    My money is on at least a four year wait.

TR will tour the shit out of NIN for the next year, then probably take the better part of a year to decompress. Maybe a film score if there are offers; shouldn't the sequel to TGWTDT be ready in a few years? Then maybe new HTDA, if he doesn't decide to keep rolling with another NIN album.

The unfortunate thing is they could probably drop HTDA altogether and nobody outside of us hardcore fans who follow his every move would care much.
    That assumes Trent is the driving force though - another album could drop sooner than that if he's less involved, and even if TRAR do another score (though Atticus is doing a couple solo atm), it's not like Mariqueen (and maybe Ally) can't write music by themselves.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    If they're looking for number ones, sure, but then why not drop Trent for Justin Timberlake? At this point, the ball is rolling and they have an audience, I think most people who have bought an album by them by now would buy the next without checking the lineup.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Highly doubt that's going to happen without Trent, but that's just my opinion. Really, who would care if it was Mariqueen and Atticus, but no TR? Curious NIN fans, yes, but beyond that...?
    The unfortunate truth is, "mainstream" won't care about HTDA without Trent. I mean, look at the articles about HTDA, making sure to mention "Nine Inch Nails front man Trent Reznor... and the guy he did soundtracks with, and his wife..."
    No matter how much Trent tried to stand back, how much he emphasized Q and the others, most media outlets only cared that he was in HTDA. If he isn't a part of the next album/tour, even being signed to a major label won't be enough to make non-fans care.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Random HTDA thoughts

Okay, but who outside of the NIN-faithful actually bought the HDTA stuff? It's not as though it made waves for introducing a whole new generation of fans to NIN who were oblivious to the fact.

As much as I enjoy HDTA's music, I couldn't help but feel like Trent's announcement virtually on the day of WO's release that NIN were back was a veiled way of saying "HDTA isn't working out the way I'd hoped, and I'm regressing back to my bread and butter". That's just my perspective though. It just seems an odd marketing move, because announcing that NIN was back in it for the long haul completely overshadowed whatever momentum HDTA had mustered.
    I think the timing was to maximise exposure to Htda, actually. A NIN return gets 100x the column inches that Htda would, and there's a chance each of those articles will mention the Htda release as an aside.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I remember reading a Rob Sheridan response to a similar comment in a Reddit AMA (can't find the text) that stated that they originally did NOT intend NIN's comeback to coincide with WO's release, but they were forced to do so.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    The unfortunate truth is, "mainstream" won't care about HTDA without Trent.
    No way to tell what would have happened, hadn't Reznor been involved in any way. It put HTDA in the spotlight, sure, but also raised the expectations quite a bit, and harmed HTDA's identity by making the comparisons to NIN unavoidable. Maybe the mainstream (whatever that means) would have noticed that new band and its first releases, or it could very well had been totally ignored.
    Trent Reznor's presence, anyway, has curved that project's trajectory, for better or worse.
    And all that talk about "only the nin fans are interested" is a bit irritating. I'm pretty sure NIN fans check out other bands, once every few decades...
    HTDA may have been on our radar anyway, with or without Reznor...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I think if Atticus and Rob had been involved in another project, NIN fans would've checked it out regardless~

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    not that it's typical, but my friend who is a long time NIN fan likes everything HTDA has done way better than anything NIN has done in the last ten years. she and i saw HTDA together and she was just silently mesmerized the whole time (she usually talks my ear off at shows).

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Random HTDA thoughts

I've probably posted this before, but every time I listen to The Believers I feel the need to say it (again):

The intro is probably my favourite intros ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Fur-Lined is my absolute favorite track from the first EP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Fur-Lined is my absolute favorite track from the first EP.
    Fur-Lined has become one of my favorites from the first EP. When that EP first came out, my favorite was BBB, and I could not stand Fur-lined. As of now, my absolutely favorite track on the EP is The Believers.