Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Bon Iver

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Bon Iver

Am I blind or is there no Bon Iver thread? Well anyway, I'm on Justin Vernon kick lately and there's a new album coming out. The first single is pretty amazing

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Holocene. What a triumph that song is.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Bon Iver

Surprised there isn't a thread for this guy here.

His new album, 22, A Million leaked. Not that I'd ever have that kind of thing or would send it out via PMs to those interested.

His work with Kanye West, especially that on Yeezus, shows through heavily in its vocal and production style. Seems like it might really piss off some people into some of his older material, but I think it's really great. Very interested in seeing reactions to this one.

Edit: Well the other thread wasn't linked in the A-Z thread so my apologies for making this
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 08-31-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I listened to the first album, honest, on repeat for about 3 months solid, I think 1,000 times at least.

And I always loved this:

Last edited by allegro; 08-30-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'll be seeing Bon Iver in London on February. Beyond excited!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    The new album is a grower for sure. I wasn't blown away at first, but I'm getting more fond of this with each listen and these are the best kinds of albums, those that will stay with you for a long time. Personally I find 8 (circle) and ____45____ to be one of the best songs by Justin.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I listened to the new album and other Bon Iver music... I don't like it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Now I am really afraid of listening to the new album!!! Gahhh!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I never got into his other stuff. That indie folksy business just is not mine.

I like 22, A Million a lot. It's a mess more focused on production and overall style than it is on actual songwriting, hooks or choruses. It's all over the place and at times meshes the newer style with that acoustic mountain man vibe well and at others doesn't. For some reason these are all reasons I enjoy it. It's weird and playing around and an interesting move. It'll probably end up pissing a lot of oldschool fans off and confusing more but I was never really one so it doesn't bother me at all; I've loved Vernon's Kanye features over the years so this is the most accessible Bon Iver record for me so far. I don't think it's amazing but I certainly don't see it as bad, and if it is a failure, it's a far more interesting one than I'd find another jar full of rain cabin in the woods beardfest album.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    All the warmth and intimacy that made his past work special is sucked dry from this horrid autotune bullshit he's employing on this record.
    ... trying to be different for different's sake, but it doesn't suit him at all.
    Got damn did you take the words out of my brain. Tried giving the new album a listen with the wife this evening and we gave up after 4 tracks. I'll give it a go again at some point, but man. It just seems way too out there.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i love it. so much going on in each track.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    The only thing I dislike about this album are all those sonic artifacts on some of the tracks. It doesn't add anything, it's just annoying

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Never been crazy about Bon Iver, but I think this album is pretty great. It sounds fun and creative, like you can tell they had a blast just coming up with cool sounds and interesting noises. I love that part near the end when they play the sax through auto tune and it gets all splintered and fragmented. That's some straight up Kanye shit right there.

Ultimately though, this doesn't strike me as some aggressively weird or difficult album. Yeah, the production is super digital and basically the polar opposite of For Emma, but I would never describe this as unpleasant music. The whole album basically exists in a state of constant euphoria, just flowing onward from one blissed out section to the next. It's total feel good music, like some uplifting soft rock album that got remixed in the Yeezus production style.

I kinda feel like this is the sort of thing that Talk Talk would be doing if they got back together and decided to follow up their whole Spirit of Eden/Laughing Stock phase by exploring glitchy laptop production and chipmunk samples and shit.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/boniver/status/816645561126420480

European tour cancelled :/ I was about to book a flight to London, so I'm kinda glad I was my usual hesitant myself in this case. Still sucks though. It must be something serious to cancel whole tour, I know Justin had mental health problems so it might be health related. I hope he'll get better whatever it is.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I've been listening to a LOT of Bon Iver lately, the girl I've been dating is really into almost anything Justin Vernon and it's really opened my eyes to an entire genre of music I've written off.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

i,i was announced today, August 30th release date.

The 4 tracks they've released so far are pretty good, I really like Hey, Ma.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    i,i just dropped today on all channels 22 days early. Sounds like for emma trapped in 22, a million so far.