Page 86 of 155 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 136 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 4627

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    while i was baking i watched a self indulged (though fucking great) judy garland singing drunkfest. gaudy all day long.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, the second season of "The Returned" is kind of awesome. It's not quite as good as the first season but it's still great.

I know I've mentioned this before, but seriously, this is one of the best shows on TV right now, and it's one of my favorites ever. It's been a long time since I've been so sucked into a fictional world like this (the kind where you kind of dread the episode ending because you just love spending time there, as depressing as the show may be). The second season had a big shift in tone and focus (the first season was much more of a character study and a little less focused on plot, the second season is definitely much more plot heavy and the tone has shifted somewhat, but it's still great, just in a different way). There have been quite a few moments this season where either my jaw was (literally) hanging open or I was yelling at my TV (which my neighbors appreciated, I'm sure). It's just sublime, it really is. The most beautiful show I've seen since probably "Six Feet Under" (which seems to be a big influence on this show).

The first season is on Netflix, you guys, and it's so worth your time (I should stress that this is the original French version, not the cancelled, probably terrible American remake).

Also watched the first episode of season 2 of "Transparent." It started off great and I can't wait to delve into the second season when the rest of the episodes are released this Friday.

I'm two episodes into "Jessica Jones" and...I'm not digging it. I mean, it's ok. I'm going to give it a few more episodes to see if it grows on me but I'm not going to force myself through it like I did with a certain other Netflix show (*cough*"Sense8"*cough*).

I also watched the first episode of Aziz Ansari's new Netflix show, "Master of None." I keep hearing it compared to "Louie," which is great because I love that show, and I keep hearing how great it is but the first episode was just ok. I will, again, probably give it a few more episodes and hope it gets better.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    First episode of The Expanse was alright, kinda hard to love it right out of the gate or anything since it's kind of all over the place and i don't know the characters at all but i am definitely curious where it'll go from there.

EDIT: Started watching Into the Badlands, holy shit it's SO good.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 12-14-2015 at 03:55 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Watching as much Nathan For You as I can. I'm embarrassed that it took me this long to become a fan. It is easily the funniest show on TV. What they're doing is peerless, brilliant, and hilarious.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    caught a couple episodes of Adam Ruins Everything yesterday. it's quite good (and VERY informative)!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Major League is in the top three of sports movies. Period.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    @Dra508 i fucking love Empire

Oh, and Jesus god, Dogville. It's so incredible. I can't begin to describe the style except for to say that it's INSANELY minimalist, more so than anything i've ever seen. I guess it's "pre dogme 95?"
    For instance, if there's a house, there is just a chalk drawing of the space of the house on the floor. The actors "knock" on imaginary doors and shit like that.

It's Lars Von Trier. I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-19-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @Dra508 i fucking love Empire

Oh, and Jesus god, Dogville. It's so incredible. I can't begin to describe the style except for to say that it's INSANELY minimalist, more so than anything i've ever seen. I guess it's "pre dogme 95?"
    For instance, if there's a house, there is just a chalk drawing of the space of the house on the floor. The actors "knock" on imaginary doors and shit like that.

It's Lars Von Trier. I highly recommend it.
    Still waiting for Wasington to be in production.....

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    last night i watched a cool 'independent lens' (PBS doc series) about muscle shoals and FAME recording studio. good shit, inspiring too.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    X-Files season 1 baby!

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Still waiting for Wasington to be in production.....
    what is Washington, @thevoid99 ?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    welcome to the dollhouse.

drop dead, lesbo!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    caught a couple episodes of Adam Ruins Everything yesterday. it's quite good (and VERY informative)!
    and is he not the cutest thing ever? of course he's straight.

i love that show.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    what is Washington, @thevoid99 ?
    Wasington was supposed to be the third of of Lars von Triers' USA-Land of Opportunities trilogy that began with Dogville and would be the follow-up to Manderlay. It was supposed to revolve around the concept of immigration with Nicole Kidman returning to the role of Grace. I think the reason it's in limbo or either scrapped is because of funding and not getting actors to be fully committed to the project.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I had this sitting on my harddrive for years but only got around to watching it over the weekend. Whaaaaat a trip!

Anyone see his latest one? Love.
    I saw Love a few weeks ago. It's a tad overlong, but I enjoyed it. It's pretty accurate at capturing feelings towards former lovers. Also, tee-hee-hee, erections.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Man oh man does this still hold up.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    goodnight mommy.

it's not as scary as i expected.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    as per tradition, since today is my wife's birthday (and we started celebrating yesterday), we watched Home Alone last night. i gave her a box set with the first two movies on blu-ray, along with kevin's hat, which made her so incredibly happy. i never get tired of watching that movie, and i love how much fun she has watching it every time, too.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    as per tradition, since today is my wife's birthday (and we started celebrating yesterday), we watched Home Alone last night. i gave her a box set with the first two movies on blu-ray, along with kevin's hat, which made her so incredibly happy. i never get tired of watching that movie, and i love how much fun she has watching it every time, too.
    You're in Chicago, ever go by the house?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    You're in Chicago, ever go by the house?
    indeed, we did last night! forgot to mention that in my post. we went to the botanic gardens (our other tradition for her birthday) and then i drove us by the house on our way home, which was lovely.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    A good take on a classic novel. Music by Charlie Clouser.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Beasts of No Nation. That kid owned it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Downton Abbey finale

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Finally finished all of The Wire.

One of those rare cases where something is the masterpiece people hyped it up to be. Loved it. Thought season 5 was excellent, even though apparently it's one of the least-loved.

"Ain't no shame in holding onto grief, as long as you make room for other things, too."

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh my god, how did I just find out about this movie!

Hysterical!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1605717/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Also watched The Revenant last weekend, the DVD screener leaked, frigging great!!!

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Making a Murderer, the original documentary series from netflix, is insanely engaging and flat out fascinating.
    It basically amounts to a 10 or 11 hour documentary split into episodes, which i felt compelled to watch in one sitting.
    It's hard to stop once you start it.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, I'm seven episodes into "Orphan Black" and I'm very much on the fence. It's kind of enjoyable, I guess. I figure seven episodes is more than enough time. I don't hate it but I'm not that crazy about it, either. I'll probably give it one more episode and then decide, but I'm leaning toward calling it quits.

On the opposite side of things, I'm in the middle of the second season of "The Americans" and I am really digging it so far. It's slow (as is to be expected with this show) but still thoroughly entertaining (and I'm sure it will only get better as the season goes along).

I finished season two of "The Returned" (which is probably the last season) and it was fantastic. A little silly at the end, some things that didn't make sense, but the emotional beats more than made up for what was lacking plot wise.

So if I quit "Orphan Black" I'll need another show to jump into. I'm thinking about "Making a Murder" on Netflix since I keep hearing amazing things about it.
    Last edited by theruiner; 12-28-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    So, I'm seven episodes into "Orphan Black" and I'm very much on the fence. It's kind of enjoyable, I guess. I figure seven episodes is more than enough time. I don't hate it but I'm not that crazy about it, either. I'll probably give it one more episode and then decide, but I'm leaning toward calling it quits.

On the opposite side of things, I'm in the middle of the second season of "The Americans" and I am really digging it so far. It's slow (as is to be expected with this show) but still thoroughly entertaining (and I'm sure it will only get better as the season goes along).

I finished season two of "The Returned" (which is probably the last season) and it was fantastic. A little silly at the end, some things that didn't make sense, but the emotional beats more than made up for what was lacking plot wise.

So if I quit "Orphan Black" I'll need another show to jump into. I'm thinking about "Making a Murder" on Netflix since I keep hearing amazing things about it.
    i love orphan black so much but we have to take breaks from it every couple of episodes because it's so emotionally intense. i would say keep going. the seasons aren't THAT long. at least finish the first season and see if you still want to stop watching it. we're nearly done with season 2 at the moment and it just keeps getting better.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Peaky Blinders. On the last episode of the first season, been really digging it.