wait, what? that movie's great!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wait, what? that movie's great!
    Nothing just joking haha.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Still watching Community, on season 2 now. The first Beetlejuice was said and I told my son to watch out for those. It's funny watching it with him because he's loving it, I think Troy and Abed are his favorite characters. We were on the third episode and I told them to watch the background and they still missed Abed doing everything.

I'm a little concerned at the amount of gay-bashing going on. I mean they have Jim Rash on the show but then Pierce is always calling Jeff gay and getting somewhat descriptive in his terms as well, and of course there's the much memed senor chang gay bit.

Also watching it a second time you do catch some things that you might have missed. For example, when the dean is announcing the nominees for "Transfer Queen" on of the names is Danielle Harmon. For some reason they have stopped asking me why I'm laughing at random things. :/

You can certainly tell that the show got popular. For example, the first episode back from winter break in the first season had Jack Black and Owen Wilson for cameos and they just keep coming. Then the second season there's already been Better White, Drew Carey, and Rob Corddry. (which...eh. is there a good Rob Corddry role?)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I'm a little concerned at the amount of gay-bashing going on. I mean they have Jim Rash on the show but then Pierce is always calling Jeff gay and getting somewhat descriptive in his terms as well, and of course there's the much memed senor chang gay bit.
    pretty sure that's all to show that those characters are dicks. definitely not defending it, and that stuff does occasionally get to me, but i think it's very intentional in terms of character.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Probably? It's also weird reading old interviews where Chevy left the show because he felt his character was getting too racist and then at the same time there are interviews where he was intentionally racist towards Donald Glover to make his (dong lover's) action more authentic. and at the same time the character is pretty f-ing racist already so how could he make the argument that it was getting "too" racist?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    watched national treasure 1 on saturday, 2 tonight. absolutely love those movies. they're just fun, and that's what's needed right now.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The Pearce character was definitely meant to show the behaviour is just wrong... and the other character's know this and react appropriately (within the scopes of their character). I find it helps to yell at the screen sometimes when Pearce acts like an ignorant asshole.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Very true. it's odd timing but my son and I listened to "Think Tank" from Henry Rollins this weekend and he's got a bit about how gay men would act RE casual sex. I know Hank's an open-minded fellow and his approach was very 1998 but it was still a little much. anyway we had the opportunity to talk about that plus my son has a friend who's autistic and they all treat him like a normal kid and accept his issues as a part of him, not something that should be ignored or shunned. It's wild watching the kids of today be so accepting of each other when back in high school fag was thrown around like so much confetti.

ok, but back to Community: the Halloween episode came on last night and it was pretty good. also continued the rash of guest stars even if George Takei didn't actually show up.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    the Halloween episode came on last night and it was pretty good. also continued the rash of guest stars even if George Takei didn't actually show up.
    that's the first episode of the show i ever saw and is what convinced me to watch it. it's SO good.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    that's the first episode of the show i ever saw and is what convinced me to watch it. it's SO good.
    Y’all are making me want to get into this show lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    Y’all are making me want to get into this show lol
    it's a good time to do so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

for me it's a comfort show. i love the characters and about 95% of the episodes so it's a great thing to watch when i'm feeling low or isolated (heh).

other shows that fall into that category for me:
    pushing daisies
    mst3k
    psych
    eureka
    warehouse 13 (we're currently rewatching this and are about to start season 5, the very short final season)
    the mighty boosh

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    we would probably be watching a lot more if I weren't one of the people who have to actually go to work for eight hours. We tried watching W13 with our son but the cheesy effects turned him off. I mean I had to basically tell him to sit down and shut up during the first Terminator movie so this is a constant debate.

mst3k is something I've wanted to get into and as much as he likes to comment on crappy movies I think he'd like it as well. is Hulu the best place to catch the OG episodes?

he loved The IT crowd and Moone Boy (should totally find that if you haven't seen it) so I think he'd like Mighty Boosh. Dark Place might be a bridge too far at this point but it's on my list. I've seen it but that is definitely one of those deep-end-of-the-pool shows where you don't just jump into it without some primers.

speaking of Pushing Daisies, a show I'd like to watch again is Human Target. I remember it being somewhat cheesy but a typical Chi McBride type of show.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    we would probably be watching a lot more if I weren't one of the people who have to actually go to work for eight hours. We tried watching W13 with our son but the cheesy effects turned him off. I mean I had to basically tell him to sit down and shut up during the first Terminator movie so this is a constant debate.

mst3k is something I've wanted to get into and as much as he likes to comment on crappy movies I think he'd like it as well. is Hulu the best place to catch the OG episodes?

he loved The IT crowd and Moone Boy (should totally find that if you haven't seen it) so I think he'd like Mighty Boosh. Dark Place might be a bridge too far at this point but it's on my list. I've seen it but that is definitely one of those deep-end-of-the-pool shows where you don't just jump into it without some primers.

speaking of Pushing Daisies, a show I'd like to watch again is Human Target. I remember it being somewhat cheesy but a typical Chi McBride type of show.
    there's no mst3k on hulu, actually. shoutfactory has an app with a TON of free episodes (as well as cinematic titanic), not sure if the same thing applies to their website. i know there are some on youtube, and there might still be some episodes on prime (there's a bunch of free rifftrax stuff on there).

good entry points - time chasers, space mutiny, devil doll, cave dwellers, pod people, the magic sword. my favorite is final sacrifice (that's the one i remember the most from being a kid) but it's never on anything so you'd have to download it somewhere.

also, i'm not one of those people who prefers one host over another. joel is great and he's kind of like the bots' dad. mike is like their brother who they pick on but in a fun way. and jonah is their weird stepbrother who they end up loving.
    speaking of which, i really honestly love all of jonah's episodes (available on netflix) except carnival magic; the riffing is good but the movie is just so uncomfortable and awful.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Near the rural town of Winton, Queensland, a truck driver finds the body of a teenage aboriginal girl named Julie Mason inside one of the drainage culverts under the road. Newly promoted aboriginal Detective Jay Swan, recently returned from training in the city, investigates the murder.

Good movie. If you liked Hell or Highwater, No Country For Old Men, Wind River you will like this.
    Just read that the director also wrote the move, did the score, and cinematographed the whole thing. BOSS MAN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Road_(film)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    there's no mst3k on hulu, actually. shoutfactory has an app with a TON of free episodes (as well as cinematic titanic), not sure if the same thing applies to their website. i know there are some on youtube, and there might still be some episodes on prime (there's a bunch of free rifftrax stuff on there).

good entry points - time chasers, space mutiny, devil doll, cave dwellers, pod people, the magic sword. my favorite is final sacrifice (that's the one i remember the most from being a kid) but it's never on anything so you'd have to download it somewhere.

also, i'm not one of those people who prefers one host over another. joel is great and he's kind of like the bots' dad. mike is like their brother who they pick on but in a fun way. and jonah is their weird stepbrother who they end up loving.
    speaking of which, i really honestly love all of jonah's episodes (available on netflix) except carnival magic; the riffing is good but the movie is just so uncomfortable and awful.
    Also, if you have a Samsung Smart TV from 2016+, you'll have something called TV Plus. Channel 1339 is RiffTrax, and they play everything (including shorts and live events).

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Something that I've noticed on my Community rewatch is that twitter is a real thing. usually they use an alternately-named fake thing to stand in on TV or movies but they namedrop twitter left and right on the show. I do not recall hearing about twitter in the real world back then so I bet I just thought it was made up for the show.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    someone retweeted this today for some reason. I know he's a Jew* but other than that I don't know why he did. blew my mind a tiny bit since we just watched that episode. Oh and also that they had someone run the actual twitter account? mind blown like the tiny car in the "Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design" episode.

Also we watched the episode where they find out Chang slept with Shirley. I laughed at the sweater joke because it's still a pretty good joke, but I felt bad about having to remember who the joke was about.

Spoiler: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A1rlhdlC...png&name=small

Also Paul F. Tompkins was a wild catch. Like I almost knew who it was but without the dapper clothes it was like looking at a doppelganger of someone you used to know.
    Last edited by allegate; 04-17-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    For those of us that watched Devs, what did you guys think? I loved it so much.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Loved it too. Never gave too much away so every episode was interesting and absorbing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just watched Oats Studio: Volume One. Described as a 'collection of experimental content from Neill Blomkamp (Elysium, District 9, Chappie)' It was actually fairly distracting. I was intrigued, amused, grossed out and nearly vomited (Magiblend 100/200), so pretty good.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_Munn View Post
    Loved it too. Never gave too much away so every episode was interesting and absorbing.
    yeah, it was fantastic. a bunch of people have complained about the ending being "predictable" or "done too many times" and i just...what? the whole show was such a novel concept so i don't understand that criticism. i think it ended perfectly, but i didn't KNOW it was going to end that way.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    got a hulu sub over the weekend for Devs, Brooklyn 99, and Always Sunny. I was telling my son about Always Sunny and the best I could describe it was "Pierce in the DND episode but there are four/five of them and they're even worse". He asked me if he would know any of them and I said the only one he's seen in a movie is Charlie Day.

Speaking of, boy that's a string of episodes where Pierce was just the biggest asshole. I was out for a walk with my wife and I brought that up and neither of us remember him being that bad on the first watch way back in the halcyon days of 2011. I do enjoy reading some episode reviews after the fact.

finally: Man I hate seeing Andy Dick. OTOH they couldn't have picked a bigger or more appropriate asshole to be Pierce's drug friend.

almost forgot that the Joe Biden episode was the last one we watched. "I had a dream that I was the actual president" or something like that.
    Last edited by allegate; 04-20-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    just heard about the new season of American Horror Story. In this season of American Horror Story, Donald Trump is the president of the united states and then theres this virus that hits the country and the entire country shuts down, and the economy burns to the ground and the sports world ends and the live music world ends and people have to walk around in masks and the media turns the virus into a propaganda machine and a lot of people go bankrupt and a lot of businesses go broke and then some citizens start protesting and rioting and then all the democrats and republicans have this huge civil war against eachother and the entire country disintegrates with the virus as the backdrop for the crumbling of society.....this sounds like the craziest season of AHS yet. Thats how you know its a tv show because this shit is so fucked up, it could never happen in real life...oh wait nevermind

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    "Some citizens"

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just watched "The Gentlemen" ... yeah, I liked it. Really enjoyed the performances and some parts made me laugh out loud.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished watching this:

Very interesting.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    all three seasons of Avatar: The Last Airbender are coming to US Netflix on may 1st! if you haven't watched the show, i highly recommend it.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Just started Devs. Hoooooly crap, that first episode is bonkers. I'm already hooked.

Also, I just finished watching the first season of Euphoria for the second time. This might be the best show on television. I cannot wait for the second season, whenever that gets here.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'm watching the most recent season of Worst Cooks in America with Alton Brown. It's scary.