Page 17 of 155 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Six Feet Under....saw an episode on t.v late night for first time in few years, it was so good and reminded me of how fucking powerful and masterful it really was.....i then had to then go online and watch 5 episodes of Season 2.

I dont know how they did it. Its as if it was written by the best Psychologists and Therapists in the western world, along with technical help by the greatest Camera Men known to men, the most wonderful artistic lighting and set designers on the planet.

One thing that struck me was just how atmospheric every scene is. The lighting gives off this sort of Opiate, druggy hazy vibe in a lot of scenes.

And dont even get me started on the acting. It was the best show of the 00's by a long shot. However at the time i know it got a lot of critical acclaim and had a big audience, but somehow i feel it deserves more respect....i really feel its the best thing to ever come out of American Television.
    It always got overshadowed by The Sopranos. It was seen as slightly depressing....Im sorry but the Sopranos was about 100 times more depressing, that show while brilliant also, was just relentlessly bleak, constipated and grim focusing on nasty people all trapped in a cold hostile world, with Six Feet Under it was centred around Death, but the main living characters were always looking for a possible way out of the shit they were in.

It was also at time the funniest thing on television, those dream sequences i can 100 per cent relate to, and just that awkwardness. And how fucked up insecure and neurotic they all are. The incest relationship with Billy and Brenda freaked me out at first but now it really makes me laugh.
    Brenda, was my favourite character. Frances Conway who played Ruth was the best actress....
    More than just a T.V show, a work of art.....real masterpiece. i have relapsed big time on it.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^Still my second favorite show of all time. I've seen the series twice (own the entire thing) and plan on watching it again at some point in the future.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Morvern Callar

This film needs a Criterion release. I still think this is by one of the most overlooked films of the last decade.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Finally got round to watching Inception, it certainly stretched my brain!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just watched Hostel III

...not actually as bad as I feared. Actually tries and tell a story, there's even some {shocker} character development... Still bloody enough to satisfy those only watching it cos of the first two, but it's toned down nicely so it doesn't descend into a gore-fest
    Last edited by Rossva; 06-10-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Awful spelling

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Narc. So much better than I remembered.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Finally got around to watching the Wire, so far i really like it almost done with the first season and got the first couple discs of the second season. I also picked up season two of californication. Thought about starting Mad Men but couldn't pull the trigger on it at this point.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Started watching the 'reimagining' of V on our TV service, bit peeved to find that after getting into it and up to 5th episode, it had been cancelled after series 2 (which ended on a cliffhanger) - great!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Exact same thing pissed me off with Sarah Connor Chronicles. Second season ended with an insane cliffhanger when Fox axed it.

Also, I rented Act Of Valor. I'm well aware that it's a glorified recruitment video, but fuck you, explosions.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    ^^Still my second favorite show of all time. I've seen the series twice (own the entire thing) and plan on watching it again at some point in the future.
    Oh come on, I clearly am not keeping up - what's your first?

Watching Around The World in 80 Plates. I'm starting to think I could actually cook. I just have no technique.

Oh, and I really fucking want to travel more.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Oh come on, I clearly am not keeping up - what's your first?
    ha ha. Why, The Simpsons, of course. :P Though I only acknowledge the existence of the first eight seasons or so.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Last night, I tried to watch Smithereens, but other than seeing Richard Hell and 1982 NYC. it just did nothing for me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The Clinic - an Australian horror film. Was interesting but they never explained what happened to Andy Whitfield's character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bernie - very funny movie about an assistant funeral director in a small Texas town that becomes friends with and eventually kills an old woman whose husband just died. Stars Jack Black, Shirley MacLaine, and Matthew McConaughey. Directed by Richard Linklater.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I finally got around to seeing Bridesmaids. It was good. Not great, and not as good as everyone made it out to be (I don't get why people were making this out to be some comedic masterpiece), but it was a really enjoyable movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I finally got around to seeing Bridesmaids. It was good. Not great, and not as good as everyone made it out to be (I don't get why people were making this out to be some comedic masterpiece), but it was a really enjoyable movie.
    I've never seen a lady comedy like this one. I can't actually think of any that I have seen other than this one. I know I have, though, and I picture them to be sterile and safe, which is not how I see Bridesmaids.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Finally watched the last couple episodes of Spartacus Vengeance, turned out to be another great season.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Finally watched the last couple episodes of Spartacus Vengeance, turned out to be another great season.
    So it was pretty good? Haven't had internets for a bit not that would matter since stars left netflix but i've been curious to see hear something on this new season, though i probably would have watched it at some point anyhow.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    So it was pretty good? Haven't had internets for a bit not that would matter since stars left netflix but i've been curious to see hear something on this new season, though i probably would have watched it at some point anyhow.
    Yeah it was pretty damn good. I watched the first 8 episodes as they came out and then kind of forgot about it. Took a few episodes to get used to the new guy playing Spartacus, really didn't like him at first, but he grew on me pretty quickly. A lot of bad ass stuff happens, which is to be expected from that show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, last season was excellent. I would put it up there as maybe the top season.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Just saw Iron Sky. Very enjoyable.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Wtf Bridesmaids sucks....

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Bridesmaids I do think it's a good movie but an overrated one. There were things about that I didn't like. I think the tone of the film is uneven where it wants to be a comedy but got saddled with Kristen Wiig's character arc where she's often very depressed at times. I like Rose Byrne but I found her character to be a bit unbelievable into why Maya Rudolph's character would be friends with her. I also felt the film was too long and the stuff involving Wiig's roommates were terrible. Especially that fat Australian chick who is not funny at all.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I thought it had a lot of potential which is why its so frustrating to watch. (Oscar recognition for the script of all things really???)

It could have been a great movie about a girl thats scared shes losing her bff because of marriage.
    It could have been about a woman's struggle to find a good guy.
    It could have been a great commentary on the idiocy of many things concerning weddings.

Instead it was a half-assed attempt that accomplished none of the above and the main and most developed conflict was a catty girl rivalry? YAWN. Also most of the scenes in the film were too long and overstayed their welcome with conversations that had NOTHING to do with anything else in the movie.

Drugged out Wig was hilarious though.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I just watched a trailer for Dredd. And I laughed and laughed. This is going to be as bad as the Stallone one. Also, of COURSE that's Karl Urban.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Christ Brave was bad. Talk about a missed opportunity. This film had no balls. Mulan was way more ballsy and interesting when it comes to everything gender and family duty related. Ugh. Great first act though. This is all coming from a Pixar fanatic. I'm really really dissapointed.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I've been mildly entertained by I few of these episodes. Devil's Three way sort of surprised me.

Act of Valor - The acting was amazing.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    The United States of Leland (2003). I found it to be a nice little indie film, despite its flaws. Matthew Ryan Hoge tried to make a good film, using his own original screenplay. I was surprised by how negative the critical consensus for the film was. Yeah, its true message may have been unclear and lost in the details, but I didn't think it was an overly terrible film. It features one of the first theatrical appearances of Ryan Gosling; as such, it's not one of his best performances, but you could see he tried his best. And, damn, he used to be so skinny back then. He played lots of fucked-up characters back then. I liked Don Cheadle's performance as a teacher and aspiring writer. The rest of the cast were not that interesting. There were many unresolved subplots, which was a shame, because I was intrigued by the film's non-linear structure and its tendency to keep you guessing. It could have been better, but it wasn't bad for an inexperienced writer-director. He has only made two films, Leland being the second. He has been inactive since then. I wonder if he was disheartened by the negative reviews.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    The United States of Leland (2003). I found it to be a nice little indie film, despite its flaws. Matthew Ryan Hoge tried to make a good film, using his own original screenplay. I was surprised by how negative the critical consensus for the film was. Yeah, its true message may have been unclear and lost in the details, but I didn't think it was an overly terrible film. It features one of the first theatrical appearances of Ryan Gosling; as such, it's not one of his best performances, but you could see he tried his best. And, damn, he used to be so skinny back then. He played lots of fucked-up characters back then. I liked Don Cheadle's performance as a teacher and aspiring writer. The rest of the cast were not that interesting. There were many unresolved subplots, which was a shame, because I was intrigued by the film's non-linear structure and its tendency to keep you guessing. It could have been better, but it wasn't bad for an inexperienced writer-director. He has only made two films, Leland being the second. He has been inactive since then. I wonder if he was disheartened by the negative reviews.
    I didn't like that film. I found the reveal in the end to be weak and unnecessary and there were too many subplot. I liked Ryan Gosling, Don Cheadle, Michelle Williams, and Jena Malone of course. I was just disappointed by how it was handled and the final execution made it worse thanks in part to a very bad Chris Klein.