Page 128 of 155 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,840 of 4626

Thread: What Are You Watching?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I'm watching the most recent season of Worst Cooks in America with Alton Brown. It's scary.
    Perhaps a bit spoiler-y but you might find this interesting...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

I adore Michael Jordan, and I’m not even a basketball fan. That Bulls team was something else. Rodman is hilarious. (No Tippin’) Pippen is ... Pippen. This doc is totally awesome.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-25-2020 at 12:07 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    ^^ I was happy to realize that The Last Dance is on Netflix Europe.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

I adore Michael Jordan, and I’m not even a basketball fan. That Bulls team was something else. Rodman is hilarious. (No Tippin’) Pippen is ... Pippen. This doc is totally awesome.
    I was a huge Jordan/Bulls fan as a young teen, especially before getting into other extra curriculars as an older teen. I’m loving this documentary so far. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    today i watched two movies at the insistence of @otnavuskire - "edge of tomorrow" and "ready or not"

edge of tomorrow was great. wasn't expecting to like it as much as i did. i really think they promoted that movie completely the wrong way when it was released because i was expecting a steaming pile of shit, but it was honestly so good. mixed feelings on the very very end, but i can forgive it for that; it is a hollywood blockbuster ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ready or not was incredible. and i know it's satire, and it had some very funny moments, but it was also absolutely terrifying and upsetting (to me). definitely going to be thinking about this one for a while...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Started watching Devs with my wife a few nights ago. Only two more episodes for us (no spoilers please). I’m liking it. Liked Ex Maxhina and Annihilation so this is up my alley. She thinks it’s a bit weird. Excited to see how it ends. It’s one of the few shows that requires me to think a bit (besides westworld).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Also: and this might not be the right forum for this but - started reading American Gods over the past two weeks. About halfway thru and liking it for the most part. Has anyone watched the series? If so, did you enjoy it? No spoilers please as I’m not done with the book yet.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    Also: and this might not be the right forum for this but - started reading American Gods over the past two weeks. About halfway thru and liking it for the most part. Has anyone watched the series? If so, did you enjoy it? No spoilers please as I’m not done with the book yet.

sarah read the book and really liked it. she said the first season of the series was a bit different but she also liked it (i loved it). we haven't watched season 2 because without bryan fuller, kristen chennoweth, & gillian anderson, the show lost a lot of its draw for me. might pick it up at some point, though.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    sarah read the book and really liked it. she said the first season of the series was a bit different but she also liked it (i loved it). we haven't watched season 2 because without bryan fuller, kristen chennoweth, & gillian anderson, the show lost a lot of its draw for me. might pick it up at some point, though.
    Both seasons are worth it. Looking forward to the 3rd...

There's a set of graphic novels that follow the series instead of the book and they are gorgeous... (we have the first two and the third comes out in June)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Haven't read the novel but I've watched both seasons of the series and enjoyed it for what they are.... and you may want to check out the Literature forum section

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Extraction (Netflix 2020)

At one moment I was like "wait... did the camera just... how..." and then watched with open mouth very long take with so much happening... I love this stuff (Children of Men, Gravity, though 1917 I didn't enjoy that much). And indeed, there are articles about that, with director himself (marvel stuntman) strapped to car with camera, cool. :-)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Finally finished that Netflix Spenser film. it wasn't that it was bad, it was just that it was long enough to need to be broken up and as there's only one TV I have to wait my turn to watch something no one else does. Also I was going to complain about its length but it's only 111 minutes? It sure seemed longer because of how slow some parts were. Winston Duke was an interesting character for the bits he was allowed to.

It was pretty much what the trailer tells you it is. The movie was predictably paced and plotted, but also a little long. The 'fake news' thing is a little much to take in my entertainment, please stop enabling the orange asshole, OK Hollywood? Guh. There are two parts that I didn't like at all, both of them were Spenser-Spense talking to people and providing them with evidence and they were just like "nah, not good enough". It was so poorly done that I have to blame the actors - looking at you Marc Maron - because it just seemed so unbelievable. That or there was a subtle subplot of intrigue but that didn't pan out so I'm back to blaming the actors.

The scene near the end with the semi truck was pretty cool, and definitely loud. Recently got a sub hooked up and sometimes I forget it's there but this scene didn't let me do that at all. My son came out and asked why it sounded like the house was coming down. I just wish the fight after was as interesting, it was pretty blah. The fight is the usual "bad guy kicks good guy's ass until the good guy wins out of nowhere" kind of thing. It was played like Spenser was wearing a wire and was waiting for the bad guy to confess to everything in the fight but that never happened, it just...ended. Also the subtitles were all "bones breaking" and he didn't seem to be in the kind of pain one would experience after having your tibia and/or fibula broken. that's a nit to pick but the ending was bugging me already so it stood out.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finally watched two movies i wish i had seen a long time ago.

Re-Animator, by myself this afternoon. real fun! just wish barbara crampton had more to do than scream and show her boobs :/

Some Like It Hot, with my wife this evening. don't think i realized how many films have been inspired by this. it's great.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    I love this stuff (Children of Men, Gravity, though 1917 I didn't enjoy that much). And indeed, there are articles about that, with director himself (marvel stuntman) strapped to car with camera, cool. :-)
    I don't know if it's available in your region, but here there's a German movie on Netflix, called Victoria, that's completely one-take. As I understood it, they shot it three times and then chose the best take. It's really fucking amazing and mostly in English. Here's the article on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_(2015_film)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I don't know if it's available in your region, but here there's a German movie on Netflix, called Victoria
    Thank you, I'll check it out. Actually, one funny observation - while watching this unexpected amazing long Extraction take, I almost wanted it to end already so I could enjoy it again, weird thought right? :-)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Has anyone watched the series? If so, did you enjoy it? No spoilers please as I’m not done with the book yet.
    I am enjoying the TV series so far too. Season 1 was def. better than season 2, but season 2 was still solid enough. The problem with the show has been the absolutely insane level of behind the scenes drama, as it is now on it's THIRD showrunner in 3 seasons. And the newest one seems like his view on the show and one of it's most beloved characters is very problematic, if you believe Orlando Jones:

https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/14/orlando...an-gods-fired/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    if you believe Orlando Jones
    I remember reading on Neil Gaiman's Tumblr (but failing to find it right now) that it was more a case of that Anansi wasn't ever planned to be S3 to begin with... which is unfortunate because I really do enjoy his performance as him but we'll see what the future holds anyway. It's a weird ride with that show.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I don't know if it's available in your region, but here there's a German movie on Netflix, called Victoria, that's completely one-take. As I understood it, they shot it three times and then chose the best take. It's really fucking amazing and mostly in English. Here's the article on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_(2015_film)
    Victoria is fucking bonkers. I remember thinking it was just ok but from a technical standpoint it's amazing.

On another note, I finished Devs and unfortunately I don't think they landed the ending. I didn't hate the last episode but it really didn't work very well for me. I can't say much else without spoilers but yeah. Not a huge fan of the end.

Still, the show overall was great. The first seven episodes were a hell of a ride. Especially episode 7, holy CRAP. Best episode of the series and the first time in a long time that a show actually got my adrenaline pumping and my heart racing. Super intense and suspenseful.

Also, started watching Terriers for the second time. LOVE this show. I was bummed that it wasn't streaming anywhere for a long time but now it's on Hulu and I am really looking forward to watching it again. It's only one season and it was cancelled but the ending works surprisingly well as a series finale, even if it wasn't meant to be. And while the show looks super generic and bland from the trailer (I was telling a friend that it looks like a show you would see on USA) it is so, so much better and deeper than that. It's a hidden little gem that hardly anyone has seen and fewer have even heard of and it deserves such a bigger audience. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by theruiner; 05-01-2020 at 04:11 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Terriers is streaming? holy shit.

It's such an amazing show. I mean, there are things in every episode that builds up the world in later episodes. It's short and self-contained enough that you can convince yourself that you're watching a great miniseries instead of a great television show cancelled too soon.

also I just found this while searching for something else:

https://www.beachcopdetectives.com/

WELCOME TO BEACH COP DETECTIVES

Beach Cop Detectives is a podcast dedicated to Terriers, the one-season beach noir series co-created by Shawn Ryan (The Shield) and Ted Griffin (Ocean's 11) for FX in 2010. It lives on Netflix, and Beach Cop Detectives hopes to serve as the DVD extra equivalent for a show that has never gotten the DVD treatment, with episode-by-episode analysis and original interviews with many of those who helped make the show.

Beach Cop Detectives is a special project by Randy Lander and Grant Davis of The TV Dudes podcast and part of the Permanant RCRD podcast network.
    Last edited by allegate; 05-01-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    There's a horror movie on streaming somewhere called The Wretched, or on DVD or something.

I'll bite, because, well, i'll watch damn near anything NEW at this point, and also, you know, it's called TW

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    ^^ I was happy to realize that The Last Dance is on Netflix Europe.
    Strangely, it's on my plex server, too.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    There's a horror movie on streaming somewhere called The Wretched, or on DVD or something.

I'll bite, because, well, i'll watch damn near anything NEW at this point, and also, you know, it's called TW
    joe of Horror Queers liked it. i am really excited to watch it!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    joe of Horror Queers liked it. i am really excited to watch it!
    Awesome! i'm apprehensive, but it got like 75 on rotten tomatoes.
    @eversonpoe , do you have Plex? if not, get you an account. it's free, and i'll share my library with you.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

HOLY shit this just gets better and better. Especially the non-edited version.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    just watched it and i loved​ it. if you like fright night but want something that's witchy instead of vampire-y, something that's a bit more serious than silly, and genuinely scary, this is the movie for you.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    just watched it and i loved​ it. if you like fright night but want something that's witchy instead of vampire-y, something that's a bit more serious than silly, and genuinely scary, this is the movie for you.
    We thought it was pretty damned good, too.
    it may not be the scariest thing ever, but it's REALLY well made, and solid for an indie horror film

Edit: I also caught a Tool sample in the soundtrack, from Mantra
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-08-2020 at 06:56 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The last 2 movies I watched were Vivarium starring Jesse Eisenberg & Imogen Poots and The Lodge starring Riley Keogh which, coincidentally, ended up being a good isolation double bill. The former is some surreal, sci-fi cabin fever and the latter is some literal, pitch dark cabin fever. I liked both a lot.

The Lodge is from the same writer/director team as Goodnight Mommy which remains a personal favorite.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Just finished Underworld (had to spread it out over two days) and am currently watching Battle: Los Angeles. Disappointed in myself.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    The last 2 movies I watched were Vivarium starring Jesse Eisenberg & Imogen Poots and The Lodge starring Riley Keogh which, coincidentally, ended up being a good isolation double bill. The former is some surreal, sci-fi cabin fever and the latter is some literal, pitch dark cabin fever. I liked both a lot.

The Lodge is from the same writer/director team as Goodnight Mommy which remains a personal favorite.
    Vivarium was great. What did you think in MEANT, though? We thought it was about being trapped in suburbia and traditional roles/expectations.

For you, I recommend She's Allergic to Cats and Horse Girl.
    Throw me a couple of your beloved reccomendations, if you have any.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    watched Tenebrae (Tenebre?) last night. only my second Argento film (first was Suspiria, which i loved) and i thought it was fantastic. a whodunit slasher that's super stylish? sign me up! it's on shudder right now if you have it!