Page 305 of 353 FirstFirst ... 205 255 295 303 304 305 306 307 315 ... LastLast
Results 9,121 to 9,150 of 10575

Thread: What Are You Listening to?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    This popped up on my ipod today. I don't think I've listened to it in a decade or more?

This is the first song of theirs I heard, I think it was on a CMJ cd.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There is something to listen to at your leisure. I look, and there are a lot of old songs here too. If it were not for such discussions, then many songs might not have been remembered, and many of them might not have been recognized. It is impossible to listen to all the music, and a lot of good things remain outside of attention.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Oh, my God. This album is going to kick ass. Funny how it has the word "black" in it and the album will be released on Black Friday.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Oh, my God. This album is going to kick ass. Funny how it has the word "black" in it and the album will be released on Black Friday.
    video unavailable

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    video unavailable
    Dammit. Well, here it is on Spotify. The track is called "Blue to Black" by The Bug feat. Dis Fig.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

not bad.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    In a vain/foolish attempt to justify my outlandish spending on vinyl this year I'm listening to every LP in my collection, in alphabetical order (by artist name, then by title for compilations and soundtracks). Live albums and box sets are at the end of the sequence. So far I've made it from A–C, starting on the D section later today with David Barrett Trio, The.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    In a vain/foolish attempt to justify my outlandish spending on vinyl this year I'm listening to every LP in my collection, in alphabetical order (by artist name, then by title for compilations and soundtracks). Live albums and box sets are at the end of the sequence. So far I've made it from A–C, starting on the D section later today with David Barrett Trio, The.
    what's your collection count? i'm at around 900 so that would take me...a really long time.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    what's your collection count? i'm at around 900 so that would take me...a really long time.
    Depends how you count it. I have over 1200 items logged in my Discogs collection, but that includes digital stuff, and cassettes, singles... other stuff I'm not including in this. The main container for my LPs is a completely-stuffed IKEA Kallax 8-unit shelf, if that gives you some indication!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Depends how you count it. I have over 1200 items logged in my Discogs collection, but that includes digital stuff, and cassettes, singles... other stuff I'm not including in this. The main container for my LPs is a completely-stuffed IKEA Kallax 8-unit shelf, if that gives you some indication!
    interesting that you catalog your digital collection on there! what's the impetus behind that? genuinely curious!

i have essentially 3 times as many records so i guess if you listened without ceasing or sleeping you're looking at around 13-15 days straight, whereas i would be looking at well over a month (i actually did the math on this haha)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I could never do that... I have way too many bundles of thrift store "WTF" vinyl I've bought just to hopefully sample at some point... It saddens me, but this stuff is either going to wind up in a goodwill or a landfill at some point... need to start clearing out boxes.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    interesting that you catalog your digital collection on there! what's the impetus behind that? genuinely curious!

i have essentially 3 times as many records so i guess if you listened without ceasing or sleeping you're looking at around 13-15 days straight, whereas i would be looking at well over a month (i actually did the math on this haha)
    Yeah, I think I can get it done before Christmastime, with my kid just starting to crawl my days are already pretty full but having one or two records on in the background during playtime can be fun! :P

The best thing about having digital stuff on the Discogs catalog (besides CDs and DVDs and Blu-rays, some of which do have some resale value) is that it helps me get an overall sense of what artists I've spent money on, how often I've been buying, that kind of thing. I tend to just throw money around like a drunken sailor otherwise, haha.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This is an amazing track by Lucille Bogan, an early female blues singer. Some of her tunes were a bit raunchy. But that was part of her style. If WAP is the acceptable norm for today's music, just think what this might have been like almost a century ago?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ More common than you might think. Blues singers, particularly women, have always done this sort of thing. I have a whole CD of raunchy blues tracks from that period, it deploys more hot nuts and lollipops than you can shake a heavy throbber at!

Bogan's track "Shave 'em Dry" was the origin of 'make a dead man come', a lyric that the Rolling Stones copped in 1981 and snuck into mainstream radio & MTV with "Start Me Up".

Highly recommend Angela Davis' book Blues Legacies and Black Feminism if you're into this topic. Here is a good primer.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Dam...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Man, the 80s were awesome in Canadaland.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    The War On Drugs - Live Drugs

Great live document. Fine band.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    ^ More common than you might think. Blues singers, particularly women, have always done this sort of thing. I have a whole CD of raunchy blues tracks from that period, it deploys more hot nuts and lollipops than you can shake a heavy throbber at!

Bogan's track "Shave 'em Dry" was the origin of 'make a dead man come', a lyric that the Rolling Stones copped in 1981 and snuck into mainstream radio & MTV with "Start Me Up".

Highly recommend Angela Davis' book Blues Legacies and Black Feminism if you're into this topic. Here is a good primer.
    Much thanks for the book recommendation, ordered it from ebay. I have always enjoyed early blues, although I am not really knowledgeable regarding the genre. Also greatly enjoy black gospel music from that era, which seems musically similar in some ways to the blues.
    Last edited by zero; 11-20-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...6ZpoRgFaBcgRTi

One of the wackiest live performances you've never seen. Free Salamander Exhibit (a band formed from the ashes of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum) at Rock in Opposition 2018.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)