Page 112 of 353 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 162 212 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 10570

Thread: What Are You Listening to?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians

I've never really listened to the origins of minimalism before, which is a real embarassment for a citizen of Berlin with an interest in electronic music. I really need to go through the discography of Reich, Glass and Riley. It sounds a bit monotonous at first, but I already recognize its impact on later music.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Been listening to The XX' second album Coexist, and I don't think it gets anywhere near their debut - less melodic, less atmospheric, less memorable. I do appreciate that it has a loose concept though, and the first album took a while to grow on me.

Anyone else got an opinion on this one?
    I do like "Coexist", but agree that is less "memorable" as the first album, yet i think "Coexist" is more intimate and has stronger lyrics...

On topic:

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Ronald Rim Ram & The Rim Ram Rammers
    The Flaming Stars
    Death Waltz Rec - Various mixes
    Gina X Performance
    Sheep On Drugs
    Throbbing Gristle
    John Carpenter
    Dee C Lee
    Low
    Toyah
    Grimes
    The Associates
    Sky
    Zillatron
    Miranda Sex Garden
    Factory Floor
    EMA

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

20 years old and still one of the most mind-blowing and forward-thinking albums around. Doesn't sound like it's aged a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This should hold me over until my deluxe edition arrives in the mail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians

I've never really listened to the origins of minimalism before, which is a real embarassment for a citizen of Berlin with an interest in electronic music. I really need to go through the discography of Reich, Glass and Riley. It sounds a bit monotonous at first, but I already recognize its impact on later music.
    I'd definitely recommend having a look for Steve Reich's Nonesuch Retrospective set. 5 discs worth of material (including Music for 18 Musicians, Different Trains, Tehillim) and a really great introduction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Blood on the Tracks by Dylan. Love this album.

Anyway, I always assumed the "Italian poet from the 13th century" he was referring to in Tangled up in Blue was Petrarch because he wrote all of those sonnets for Laura. Made sense in the context of the song. However, I was reading about Petrarch today and he was actually from the 14th century. Anyone have any idea who he is talking about? Online someone said Dante's Vita Nova is the book of poems he mentioned. But, I don't think Vita Nova is poetry. Unless Dante wrote love poems? I'm not familiar with most of his works, just the Divine Comedy.

Also, Dylan changes the lyrics to this song constantly. He switches the century, poet's origin and even cites Bible sections. So the whole thing could be meaningless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    (Mostly) everything Dante wrote was actually poetry. It was written in archaic Italian; it even rhymes perfectly and everything.
    Vita Nove was about Beatrice, the Dante equivalent of Petrarch's Laura.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    The Legend Of The Seagullmen

really hope a full-length album comes out of this, because i could listen to this stuff FOREVER

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedYourHead View Post
    (Mostly) everything Dante wrote was actually poetry. It was written in archaic Italian; it even rhymes perfectly and everything.
    Vita Nove was about Beatrice, the Dante equivalent of Petrarch's Laura.
    Flipping through part of Vita Nove and reading the introduction I thought it was an autobiography. So it's a autobiographical poem?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    Flipping through part of Vita Nove and reading the introduction I thought it was an autobiography. So it's a autobiographical poem?
    Si. It's a prosimetrum so there's some prose interspersed with the sonnets and lyrics and such. It's autobiographical in the sense that Dante wrote about his infatuation with Beatrice, starting from when they first met as children and through her death and his mourning.
    Last edited by FeedYourHead; 02-10-2015 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The improvement on this mans live vocals has stunned me. I am without words, and I mean that in the best way possible.
    Instant buy from me when it comes out (Not even Pray For Plagues can stop me).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnjollyIrishman View Post
    The improvement on this mans live vocals has stunned me. I am without words, and I mean that in the best way possible.
    Instant buy from me when it comes out (Not even Pray For Plagues can stop me).
    he's still a piece of shit human being, though : / (multiple reports of abuse toward female fans)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This song is the exact sound of frustration. I wish I'd seen this tour, solely for Aaron North on guitar. I understand he's coming through some personal problems, godspeed. Savage player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    he's still a piece of shit human being, though : / (multiple reports of abuse toward female fans)
    I think the prickishness has subsided recently to be fair, probably due to marriage and rehab. But he was a cunt, no questions about it.
    As of now, the prickiest he will get will be some of the quips he makes live ("Fuck someone in the eye" for example), and pretty much every metal frontman does that shit.
    Last edited by UnjollyIrishman; 02-11-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedYourHead View Post
    Si. It's a prosimetrum so there's some prose interspersed with the sonnets and lyrics and such. It's autobiographical in the sense that Dante wrote about his infatuation with Beatrice, starting from when they first met as children and through her death and his mourning.
    Started reading The Divine Comedy today and already there is a line Dylan referenced. I guess it is Dante. Thanks!!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I've been listening Achtung Baby and other U2 records extensively recently. Achtung Baby is the only U2 album I've owned for years and recently decided to delve deeper to their discography. Besides Achtung Baby I've enjoyed (So far) Pop, Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire and No Line On The Horizon and I'm looking forward to listening their earlier records.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    boy and war are especially great.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Achtung Baby and Zooropa are the only albums I thoroughly enjoy. The rest are whatever to meh.

I'm listening to this just 1 year and roughly 3 months shy of it's 10th birthday. Ridiculous.

Still need that follow up, ehhhhhh Squidward.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    My absolute favorite DP song

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    boy and war are especially great.
    I fucking LOVED the 1st three U2 albums, there was such honest innocence and sincerity, there, that can't be matched. And I still love Under A Blood Red Sky, too.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Goddamn.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Got around listening the first three U2 albums and liked the War most of them. I really like the post-punk-ish style in these albums and some songs reminds me of Joy Division or The Cure. Definitely will buy these albums at some point as well. Also, I was wondering if Songs of Experience will be released at some point this year as the new tour is called Innocence + Experience.