Thread: Random Tech Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I have 4 Roku sticks, 2 Fire sticks, 2 old Apple TVs (now in the electronic recycling bin), a FireTV (also in the bin) and an Apple TV 4K.

I have run them all through all kinds extensive shit, as I have 7 televisions and a big network in a stretch ranch house with two stories and the router in the basement where the main office is located. I have XFi with their pods.

The Rokus make me nuts because they freeze more than ANY of my other devices, because they want to run at 2.4 ghz and, like @eversonpoe said, they’re flash drives with an HDMI port and no processor or cache.

The only consistent and reliable device I have is my Apple TV. You will pry it from my cold, dead hands (until I wire my house for Cat6, but even then I'll run it on my Cat6 network).

I also miss my Apple AirPort Extreme router, but that’s another topic.

The BEST option is an Ethernet connection between your router and your device. Roku Ultra does that. (Apple TV 4K does it, too.) Roku has an app for Xfinity if you have Xfinity and want to get rid of the Xfinity box. (It's total shite on the Roku stick.)
    Last edited by allegro; 07-09-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The Rokus make me nuts because they freeze more than ANY of my other devices, because they want to run at 2.4 ghz and, like @eversonpoe said, they’re flash drives with an HDMI port and no processor or cache.
    i was talking about the Fire Stick but i'm sure the same applies to the Roku Stick, since it's essentially the same device with different software.

i would definitely say a Roku Ultra is the way to go.

i have one of those AppleTVs that's basically a 4K model but only goes up to 1080 (which is fine as i'm still using my LG Plasma Monitor from 2007). at least it has the app store instead of whatever pre-installed apps come with the old ones and you can't do anything about it!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i was talking about the Fire Stick but i'm sure the same applies to the Roku Stick, since it's essentially the same device with different software.
    The Fire Stick actually has a cache you can clear, whereas the Roku Stick kinda does but it buffers the fuck out of everything.

If you need to clear the cache on the Fire Stick, it’s easily done in Settings. Lol at the Roku Stick method.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-09-2020 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    How it is with Plex? That's the thing is I have a semi-large library and would want the one that can take the videos. If I can start using raw MKV files instead of having to transcode everything that would be awesome.
    I'll be honest: I have zero experience with Plex. I still copy stuff onto a USB stick; I have yet to need to convert anything with my Sony 4K Blu-ray player (including x265).

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The Ultra is much better (and more stable) than the sticks. It has an ARM Cortex A53 processor.