Thread: The Netflix Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Just caught up with Cobra Kai, any opinions?

I thought it followed a similar trajectory to Stranger Things: first season was one of the best pieces of TV I've seen this decade; subsequent ones are ok but disappointing compared with the first run.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Just caught up with Cobra Kai, any opinions?

I thought it followed a similar trajectory to Stranger Things: first season was one of the best pieces of TV I've seen this decade; subsequent ones are ok but disappointing compared with the first run.
    I love it. All 3 seasons. Comparing it to Stranger Things is unfair imo. Stranger Things is actual art. I'm not saying it's Citizen Kane, but there's real storytelling, real acting, bigger budget...craft. Cobra Kai is cheesy fun nonsense, with a huge scoop of nostalgia for those that grew up with the films. There's no budget. The acting is generally decent to abysmal, with a few exceptions. I guess b/c I don't take Cobra Kai seriously at all but still adore it, I can't see any downswing from season to season.

One thing they do have in common is the complete lack of police/security when the biggest, most violent set pieces of the season are taking place (think about the mall scenes from the finale of Stranger Things this past season). And in Cobra Kai, some of these kids need to go to actual prison for the aggressive first degree assaults they perpetrated. Cobra Kai threw that one Miyagi-Do kid through a fucking window! Tori could legit be charged with attempted murder for what she did in season 2 with the claw. Show is hilarious.