Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Inducted Into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    They should be in there way more than Green Day as well as: Black Flag, the Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Fugazi, the Stranglers, and the Jam.
    I don't think Jello Biafra would accept the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction for the Dead Kennedy's with open arms...

Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I dont really see a connection between Sabbath and 'Heart Shaped Box' or 'Even Flow'.....They had a big influence on the Melvins who have about as good a chance as getting into the HOF as Trent does
    Some early Nirvana tracks have some Black Sabbath influence going on but you could also argue that Kurt was just inspired by the Melvins too.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 09-24-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Round 2 FIGHT!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Vote here. All due respect to Trent, but if he gets in ahead of Deep Purple, Yes and Cheap Trick I'm gonna call bullshit (Chicago gets some demerits for their 80's work, Steve Miller is okay but has always struck me as radio filler. Frankly not that familiar with The Smiths but I understand how influential they've been.). Two out of three of those bands (with one getting close) have members all in their golden years, and have already lost key members in recent years. Trent's not getting any younger yes, but his induction is well-assured at some point.

That said, Janet Jackson would be way more BS but I don't think she has a chance. She's leading the poll right now but the more widespread it gets I'm sure that will change.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 10-08-2015 at 05:54 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I can't believe the Cars and Deep Purple and Yes and Cheap Trick haven"t already been inducted, wtf. (eye roll)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Can't wait for the perfectly timed release of Interscope's NIN Wanna Fuck You Like An Animal and 15 Other Greatest Hits

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I was thinking about female nominations because of Chaka Khan and Janet Jackson, but has Kate Bush even been nominated yet ever? Bollocks if not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you're voting solely for the purpose of getting NIN in (I'm sure many of us are in that boat) the current stats are important since they ask you for vote for five bands (in descending order):

Chicago 15.48% (240842 votes)
    Yes 14.61% (227444 votes)
    The Cars 14.50% (225644 votes)
    Deep Purple 14.45% (224890 votes)
    Steve Miller 14.21% (221218 votes)
    Janet Jackson 8.64% (134423 votes)
    Chaka Khan 6.11% (95035 votes)
    Cheap Trick 3.18% (49527 votes)
    The Spinners 1.95% (30394 votes)
    N.W.A 1.66% (25824 votes)
    Nine Inch Nails 1.45% (22591 votes)
    Chic 1.35% (21077 votes)
    The Smiths 1.28% (19948 votes)
    Los Lobos 0.76% (11830 votes)
    The J.B.'s 0.36% (5587 votes)

Because they ask you to vote for five, you should vote for the lowest four (Chic, The Smiths (WTF??), Los Lobos, and The J.B.'s) and NIN (if you want NIN to win the vote).

If you notice the lowest four bands change when you place your vote, make sure to update us!

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    The fan vote is meaningless. Don't waste your time.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    The fan vote is meaningless. Don't waste your time.
    Every year that they have done it, the act that got the most votes was inducted. Now I doubt that is actually why, but rather the Hall saving face by putting the top pick in so they can say it's effective.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Voted anyway, even though I know Trent won't get in. Fingers crossed for Chic and N.W.A. though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah, there are too many people on that list that should've been in years ago. I don't see NIN making the cut this year, but I could be surprised. I don't think there's any doubt they'll remain a perennial nominee until they are eventually let in.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I love NIN and I know they should be in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame but... I'd want Deep Purple to get in first. They're more important. The same for Cheap Trick, Yes, the Smiths, and the Cars. I would also vouch for Steve Miller, Chic, and Chicago as they've been overlooked for so many years. Yes, I love Steve Miller. If you have a problem with that, then fuck you.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Yes, I love Steve Miller. If you have a problem with that, then fuck you.
    i don't have a problem with that, but i really don't understand why people like cheap trick. i have never heard a cheap trick song that i enjoyed and that didn't also sound derivative of someone else.

/drift

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Cheap Trick is great because they were were the 2nd generation of great power-pop bands after Big Star, Badfinger, and Raspberries but with a wild sense of humor and showmanship that was sort of lacking in rock. The drumming of Bun E. Carlos, the 12-string bass power of Tom Peterson, the charisma of Rick Zander, and crazy guitar work of Rick Nielsen. How can anyone not like songs like "Dream Police", "Surrender", "I Want You to Want Me"? Those are classics. Plus, how can you not like this cheesy version of the song by Gael Garcia Bernal:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    NIN is dead last in the poll, quite a difference from last year. However, the top five are all the classic rock acts. Hopefully that gets their attention.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Vote here. All due respect to Trent, but if he gets in ahead of Deep Purple, Yes and Cheap Trick I'm gonna call bullshit (Chicago gets some demerits for their 80's work, Steve Miller is okay but has always struck me as radio filler. Frankly not that familiar with The Smiths but I understand how influential they've been.). Two out of three of those bands (with one getting close) have members all in their golden years, and have already lost key members in recent years. Trent's not getting any younger yes, but his induction is well-assured at some point.

That said, Janet Jackson would be way more BS but I don't think she has a chance. She's leading the poll right now but the more widespread it gets I'm sure that will change.
    I don't have a problem at all with Janet Jackson getting in personally, my sister had her Control album and I remember liking it although I haven't heard it in years, BUT the fact she's been eligible for years and is only suddenly nominated this year and its announced literally the week she has a new album out seems like such a populist move rather than just a coincidence

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i don't have a problem with that, but i really don't understand why people like cheap trick. i have never heard a cheap trick song that i enjoyed and that didn't also sound derivative of someone else.

/drift
    I've seen them live twice (awesome), saw Rick guest with the Revolting Cocks at the HoB in Chicago (double awesome, Rick is an honorary member), they're the nicest guys on the planets, THEY'RE FROM ROCKFORD,

Plus, see this.

Fuck Chic, they're disco. Fuck Jann Wenner for not inducting Deep Purple for this long. Asshole.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-09-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I've seen them live twice (awesome), saw Rick guest with the Revolting Cocks at the HoB in Chicago (double awesome), they're the nicest guys on the planets, THEY'RE FROM ROCKFORD,

Plus, see this.
    no digs on them as people or even musicians, just not music i seem to be able to enjoy :: shrug ::

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    no digs on them as people or even musicians, just not music i seem to be able to enjoy :: shrug ::
    You didn't experience "Live at Budokan" in the 70s.

Bottom line, as indicated by that Salon article: if so many other rock musicians and groups list Cheap Trick as influences, or they are huge fans of the band and ask them to tour or record with them etc., why the fuck have they not been nominated until NOW?

Answer: Jann Wenner and The Suits
    Last edited by allegro; 10-10-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Sucks that fan votes don’t count for beans in this thing. NIN killed it last year with over 13 million fan votes, and nope! Green Day had one and a half million fan votes and they made it in. This is just insiders club BS. Trent totally deserves the accolade, and hopefully he took some pride from the fan votes for nin. But at this point if he were inducted, I’d love it if he’d just flip 'em the bird and not even show.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I've seen them live twice (awesome), saw Rick guest with the Revolting Cocks at the HoB in Chicago (double awesome, Rick is an honorary member), they're the nicest guys on the planets, THEY'RE FROM ROCKFORD,

Plus, see this.

Fuck Chic, they're disco. Fuck Jann Wenner for not inducting Deep Purple for this long. Asshole.
    Hey, don't diss Chic. I know they're disco but they are a great band that had some funk and great songs. Plus, you can't deny what Nile Rodgers has done for music. Plus, Tony Thompson did play on The Fragile. I just don't want them to be in the Rock Hall over Deep Purple. Besides, it's Jann Wenner we should be mad at since the fucking queen is an out of touch shithead.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Sucks that fan votes don’t count for beans in this thing. NIN killed it last year with over 13 million fan votes, and nope! Green Day had one and a half million fan votes and they made it in. This is just insiders club BS. Trent totally deserves the accolade, and hopefully he took some pride from the fan votes for nin. But at this point if he were inducted, I’d love it if he’d just flip 'em the bird and not even show.
    Totally agree with this! Also, I would much rather see Chaka Khan get in then Janet Jackson.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    NIN is in last place.

Come on people...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    back to this nonsense again.....end this..NWA will get in because the old white man learned from the movie how significant they are...take NIN off the ballot already

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Hey, don't diss Chic. I know they're disco but they are a great band that had some funk and great songs. Plus, you can't deny what Nile Rodgers has done for music. Plus, Tony Thompson did play on The Fragile. I just don't want them to be in the Rock Hall over Deep Purple. Besides, it's Jann Wenner we should be mad at since the fucking queen is an out of touch shithead.
    I loved disco and funk in the 70s, I USED TO DANCE IN CLUBS IN THE 70S. BUT DISCO IS NOT ROCK N ROLL.

Disco should NEVER be inducted into the ROCK N ROLL HALL OF FAME ahead of fucking Deep Purple, Yes, Cheap Trick and the Cars.

Bottom line: the Hall of Fame is a building where they sell t-shirts.

See also this: http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id/120798
    Last edited by allegro; 10-09-2015 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    "Committee members "see themselves as keepers of the flame of integrity," says an insider." That is laughable especially given that Green Day went in ahead of NIN.

"They view The Cure (eligible since 2003) and Depeche Mode (since 2006) as weird outcasts from England who wear mascara, rather than post-punk and electronic pioneers who still headline festivals and sell out arenas. "You and I will die before those groups are in the Hall of Fame," an insider predicts."

That is too bad, I love both these groups and they are definitely worthy but unfortunately bands who originated in the 80's just don't get the respect they deserve imo. I can agree about Deep Purple, Cheap Trick and the Cars but Yes, ugh I cannot stand boring 70's prog rock.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    "Committee members "see themselves as keepers of the flame of integrity," says an insider." That is laughable especially given that Green Day went in ahead of NIN.

"They view The Cure (eligible since 2003) and Depeche Mode (since 2006) as weird outcasts from England who wear mascara, rather than post-punk and electronic pioneers who still headline festivals and sell out arenas. "You and I will die before those groups are in the Hall of Fame," an insider predicts."

That is too bad, I love both these groups and they are definitely worthy but unfortunately bands who originated in the 80's just don't get the respect they deserve imo. I can agree about Deep Purple, Cheap Trick and the Cars but Yes, ugh I cannot stand boring 70's prog rock.
    But personal taste shouldn't be involved, otherwise nobody would be nominated. (Although, Jann Wenner not liking your music pretty much guarantees you won't get in, because he has become the HoF Dictator.) Prog Rock may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it still has an important place in rock history and certainly belongs in the HoF ahead of NWA or Chic.

And the 80s bands absolutely get respect, except from those old fart original HoF committee members (who are mostly label execs, and Asshole Jann Wenner), who are totally out-of-touch or just hate all kinds of music.

Fucking Jann Wenner and Rollng Stone didn't put Rush on its cover for the first time until A FEW MONTHS AGO.

It should be renamed: Jann Wenner's House of Favorites
    Last edited by allegro; 10-10-2015 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

And the 80s bands absolutely get respect, except from those old fart original HoF committee members (who are mostly label execs, and Asshole Jann Wenner), who are totally out-of-touch or just hate all kinds of music.

It should be renamed: Jann Wenner's House of Favorites
    I disagree about 80's bands because The Cure and Depeche Mode should at the very least be nominated. Is Bon Jovi or Duran Duran in? Like them or not these two bands have had longevity and lived way past their video darling reputations. How about Def Leppard, Judas Priest or even Motley Crue? I could go on but I think you get the point. There is zero respect for 80's metal and alternative.

And I do agree about Wenner, it is all political and we know TR doesn't do politics

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    There is zero respect for 80's metal and alternative.
    Not entirely true. Metallica made it in 2009, even though their 80s material has been all but overshadowed by their borderline celebrity status, "Enter Sandman", and not being so good after the 80s. Guns N Roses and the Beastie Boys made it in 2012. U2 made it in 2005, though their post-punk roots have been overshadowed by their more recent muzak (including their then-current album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, which I assume was the real reason they made it.)

I'm sure most of us are aware that it's first and foremost the influences on the music industry before music in general that gets the bands in. It's more about marketing than anything else, so I'm pretty sure that Trent cares as much about the Hall Of Fame as he does about the Grammys. The only reason we seem to care about this is because it's a big thing that fans can vote on, even though the fan votes make only one out of 800 ballots. If we couldn't vote on this, we probably wouldn't be giving a shit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Nicholas View Post
    Not entirely true. Metallica made it in 2009, even though their 80s material has been all but overshadowed by their borderline celebrity status, "Enter Sandman", and not being so good after the 80s. Guns N Roses and the Beastie Boys made it in 2012. U2 made it in 2005, though their post-punk roots have been overshadowed by their more recent muzak (including their then-current album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, which I assume was the real reason they made it.)

I'm sure most of us are aware that it's first and foremost the influences on the music industry before music in general that gets the bands in. It's more about marketing than anything else, so I'm pretty sure that Trent cares as much about the Hall Of Fame as he does about the Grammys. The only reason we seem to care about this is because it's a big thing that fans can vote on, even though the fan votes make only one out of 800 ballots. If we couldn't vote on this, we probably wouldn't be giving a shit.
    Wow a whole 4 (actually 5 REM ) bands from the 80's. Without Motley Crue there would probably be no Guns and Roses. Yet Guns is in and rightfully so but I stand by my opinion.