Thread: Not The Actual Events

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Little help? Normally I'd buy a CD and be done with it, but there's no option for that, and I know next to nothing about all these digital formats. Could someone tell be which format I should select when ordering?

In the end I want a high quality format that I can burn to a disc, and then be able to rip from the disc later. Currently I use WMP for pretty much all my music stuff. I'd prefer the easiest possible way of doing this, and I'm hoping not to have to download/purchase additional programs.

Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionysus74 View Post
    Little help? Normally I'd buy a CD and be done with it, but there's no option for that, and I know next to nothing about all these digital formats. Could someone tell be which format I should select when ordering?

In the end I want a high quality format that I can burn to a disc, and then be able to rip from the disc later. Currently I use WMP for pretty much all my music stuff. I'd prefer the easiest possible way of doing this, and I'm hoping not to have to download/purchase additional programs.

Thanks in advance for helpful replies.
    If you use WMP and want a minimum of hassle, go for WAV. If you don't mind installing a third-party plugin for it (should take a minute or so), go with FLAC.

Both are lossless formats, but FLAC is slightly more compact (think of it as a zipped audio file, basically), and is being handled by more and more players out there, hardware and software alike. It also supports tagging, if you like to organise your music, so it's less of a "raw" audio format than WAV is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    If you use WMP and want a minimum of hassle, go for WAV. If you don't mind installing a third-party plugin for it (should take a minute or so), go with FLAC.

Both are lossless formats, but FLAC is slightly more compact (think of it as a zipped audio file, basically), and is being handled by more and more players out there, hardware and software alike. It also supports tagging, if you like to organise your music, so it's less of a "raw" audio format than WAV is.
    Thank you for the reply.

Think I'll go with FLAC. What third party plugin should I be looking for? Link?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionysus74 View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

Think I'll go with FLAC. What third party plugin should I be looking for? Link?
    You're welcome.

The Xiph OpenCodec plugins should do the trick. Been a while since I used them, because I use foobar2000 as my go-to player these days. But if I remember correctly, you just have to run the installer, and that's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    You're welcome.

The Xiph OpenCodec plugins should do the trick. Been a while since I used them, because I use foobar2000 as my go-to player these days. But if I remember correctly, you just have to run the installer, and that's it.
    So I installed Xiph OpenCodec, I extracted the FLAC files, and could listen to them in WMP, but I couldn’t burn them. I ended up using Roxio to burn them, and WMP will play the audio from the burned disc, but I can’t rip from it.

Even though I installed Xiph OpenCodec I don’t know if it’s working.

Is there an easy way to do this?