Thread: Random General Headlines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Well, of course, the U.S. lost more people in one terrorist attack in a single day than any country has lost in decades.

And those guys got in here legally via visas but stayed here on expired visas. And, you know how big this country is and hard it is to locate people with expired visas (needle in the world's biggest haystack). There were all kinds of "signs" pointing to these guys doing some stupid shit, but hindsight is always 20/20. So they got through airport security, used jumbo jets fully-loaded with fuel as giant bombs, and killed 2,996 people and injured over 6,000 people.

So, yes, how do we "avoid" this happening again?

Answer: We can't.

Yes, we should monitor EVERYBODY who comes into this country so we can keep track of visas; Polish, Greek, German, whomever. But, this would require a huge budget, and we're barely able to keep up with undocumented immigrants, already. And, we have had terrorist acts committed by American Citizens.

Better security is the best answer, which is how we have been combating this problem so far. Our American post-9/11 reality is INSANE levels of security everywhere. We get frisked and wanded and our bags are checked at frigging RAVINIA, now, which is the summer home of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. We aren't allowed to bring even a purse to a Chicago Bears game, anymore (except about the size of a deck of cards). There are cops, barricades, guys with guns at pretty much all festivals (post-Boston Bombers).

AND, even with ALL THAT, we STILL can't avoid assholes LIKE THIS.
    Well, I highly doubt anything close to the 9/11 events could happen again in the USA. Your biggest casualties are from madmen and the gun question, not terrorism. But look how many awfully similar terror attacks Europe suffered during a relatively short time. 9/11 was out of the blue, now we have what, the second truck plowing in 5 months?

I just read that the Christmas fair in Dresden has been surrounded by concrete blocks. Now, that's the first step I'd like to see everywhere from now, until people come up with a better solution. It's ugly, it reminds you of danger, BUT it is there to save your life. Being afraid or cautious is not a stupid move; we have to admit eventually that the terrorists' plan is working to plant fear in us. But that's just a battle, not the war.

Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I have to work on letting go and that some things can't be fixed and don't deserve my time and effort, as it's not valued and doesn't end up mattering. I should instead spend this on more positive endeavors. I get so sucked into fixing things, often things that it ends up dragging me down into a very negative space. I have a bad habit of letting the wrong people affect me. So additionally, I need to give myself a break and be kinder to myself. I don't have the level of esteem and confidence most people have and I think this is what allows this negative cycle to continue. This entire month has been a terrible one as far as I've had numerous panic attacks, the most since 2010 when my ex cheated on me and filed for divorce.
    Lots to figure out here but I will continue to get better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I'll take "Reasons why it's good to have Volband on Ignore" for $100.
    So are you in love with me that you are still obsessed with me despite even the admins telling us to stfu, or what? You put me on ignore list for like 2 years now, yet you can't seem to leave me alone; at least ask me on a date already!

Anyway, how about you take your own advice instead of just crying about stuff? Maybe if you'd look in the mirror, compared your words to your actions you'd be one step closer from getting away from your crippling depression. Right now, you are still mentally incapable of ignoring me, a complete stranger on the internet a continent away, but you wonder why your life sucks.

Either put me off your ignore list and trash me "face to face" like others do, or grab a dictionary and look up the meaning of to ignore. I'm fucking tired how you are are crying and asking pity everywhere, but you always find the confidence to cover your eyes and ears and nag me.
    Last edited by Volband; 12-20-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Well, I highly doubt anything close to the 9/11 events could happen again in the USA.
    9/11 happened because that's exactly what the Americans were thinking: it will never happen here. That's how you let your guard down and you get sloppy. Magical thinking never worked for anyone.

That will only forced terrorists to be more creative. But at least someone is doing something, right? *shrugs*

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I just read that the Christmas fair in Dresden has been surrounded by concrete blocks. Now, that's the first step I'd like to see everywhere from now, until people come up with a better solution. It's ugly, it reminds you of danger, BUT it is there to save your life. Being afraid or cautious is not a stupid move; we have to admit eventually that the terrorists' plan is working to plant fear in us. But that's just a battle, not the war.
    That's pretty much what we are doing, here. High levels of security is the best current "answer" since we can't possibly control all human behavior. And, even that isn't totally secure, since suicide bombers can thwart security. We are no longer living in safe world. But we do the best we can to protect our citizens. I totally agree with what @Sutekh said about dark days of growing pains of Islam, and that this will phase out. Many experts have agreed. This is primarily a geopolitical problem, not really a religious problem.