Page 24 of 123 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 74 ... LastLast

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Short little thoughts about the ep since my concern of not getting dl links for any of the definitive/deviation albums at all is starting to haunt me.
    Track 1-Digging the Everything drum loop
    Track 2-Nitzer Ebb vibes
    Track 3-Very Tom Waits
    Track 4-Caught me off guard at first listen, reminds me a bit of Break off Niggy Tardust if it was more hard rock oriented.
    Track 5-Audio wise it's reminiscent of Godflesh while the video accompanying it makes me want to go watch Tetsuo the Iron Man for the 100th time. The chorus does give me visions in my head of the field in the Blackstar video.
    Good stuff.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Well I was completely and totally off-base about this being an album about the state of the world; it seems to be, judging by the lyrics, about the state of oneself. And holy shit, is it ever about being in a fucked up place.

I keep thinking back to the end of Hesitation Marks and the references to becoming 'something else', how ominous 'Black Noise' was, just becoming this wall of malevolent sound, and I wondered at that time whether future NIN couldn't be abrasive and angry...fucking hell, there's my answer.

maybe that was somebody else
    maybe i was somebody else

everything absorbing liquid twitching forming something terrible
    the sores are gone
    and you can hardly tell now but
    that was someone else who isn’t here anymore

Brrrr! Goosebumps!

Okay seriously going to bed now for realsies

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I am so thrilled to see everybody digging this stuff. I really, really hope there's an overwhelmingly positive reception to this thing and Trent continues to explore this style of material. This is the dark, threatening, looming industrial craziness that made me a NIN fan to begin with and I am so, so hooked again. I hope people like bill are having a blast having to deal with the fact that he still can totally make raging, insane, noisy shit like this. I'm so in love.

And @bobbie solo this material all feels absolutely perfect for a live environment. Enough space to groove on things like Dear World, with plenty of hardcore industrial NIN aggression to things like Idea of You and Burn Bright. Having Trent Reznor screaming those utterly fucking menacing lyrics to Burn Bright at my face would terrify me and I need it to happen ASAP
    What's terrifying me is the calm side of that song. That makes the whole thing uneasy to me. But I love it!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    I really hope you guys give this EP a listen through some stellar headphones. I'm currently wrapping up my first play though on my Sony MDR-7506s and there are so many little sounds I don't think I would have picked up on through speakers...

im ready to go on that adventure, TR...
    Agreed, listening on my Audio Technica ATH-M50Xs

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I'll call it first: I bet we get a new full-length album in 2017

You don't make your collaborator of the past 15 years a full-fledged member and come raging out of nowhere with something like this, just to go back into hibernation mode. There's definitely something larger at work here. Especially when they come here and read the feedback it's garnering..

They've done three 90+ minute film scores since the last NIN album. This is just the tip of the iceberg, I'm betting..
    Said this already on Facebook, but I'm predicting this is like An Omen, a taste of what's coming and maybe a track or two on the new album. And I'm predicting it's called The Actual Events

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Nope, it's just the same artwork from Still. AATCHB CD and DVD have different covers.

http://www.nin.wiki/And_All_That_Could_Have_Been_(halo)

http://www.nin.wiki/Still
    live+still = AATCHB CD (hence the individual live & still releases saying cd1 & cd2). the 2CD version has the doubled up font, which is where "still" gets it from.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtuck90 View Post
    Ha anybody that bought from the UK store received their links yet? Or will the original link that only contained artwork now work?
    I got this about half an hour ago. LOVE it, from first listen which worries me a bit

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I think that, like Broken, the material works best as an EP.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Anybody else get mad Tetsuo vibes on Idea of You's climax? I'd spot those whirring machines of beautiful technological doom anywhere.

I just cannot believe this. The description a week ago had me really, really hoping it'd be like this, but I didn't want to get too expectant of anything. Trent Reznor fucking delivers yet again. He can have all of my money to my dying days.
    '
    I'm going to have all of this stuck in my head for months on end, I can already tell.

Also, the defiant "fuck you" vibes of Burn Bright with the nasty-as-all-hell spoken word vocals beneath the noise reminds me a lot of the final song on Post-Pop Depression from earlier in the year. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it had some sort of influence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man this has turned out to be one hell of a surprise, waiting all year for Trent to cash in on the new NIN in 2016 tweet and then *Bam* out of nowhere Fragile Deviations and this new EP. It's like seeing an old friend the 90s nine inch nails just comes back out of left field. I had resigned myself to the music never really going back there considering Trent was in a terrible place he claimed when he made most of that 90s NIN but God damn here it is. I'm now about to explode waiting for the deviations download.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I'm finally on my 4th listen and it's FINALLY clicking. This stuff is amazing. WAY, WAY, WAY the fuck better than Hesitation Marks. The idea of you is awesome. I didn't get behind it until the 4th listen. I think he made the perfect length EP, there's no filler or trash on this. It's just 5 punches to the face that leaves you asking the puncher to come back and punch you some more after he's done and already walking away, you basically put it on repeat and asked to be punched in the face some more, because it's so oddly satisfying.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    "She's Gone Away" is like the songs "With Teeth" and "The Fragile" got together and had a child. This would be it.
    That song already got my attention with its lyrics, but now I'm dying to hear it! Sounds great.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionysus74 View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

Think I'll go with FLAC. What third party plugin should I be looking for? Link?
    You're welcome.

The Xiph OpenCodec plugins should do the trick. Been a while since I used them, because I use foobar2000 as my go-to player these days. But if I remember correctly, you just have to run the installer, and that's it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazzaro703 View Post
    It's like seeing an old friend the 90s nine inch nails just comes back out of left field. I had resigned myself to the music never really going back there considering Trent was in a terrible place he claimed when he made most of that 90s NIN but God damn here it is.
    I guess if 2016 achieved anything positive in its shittiness, it motivated Trent Reznor to return to being an industrial god again

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VALC0NE View Post
    Also begging for a pm, shameful as it is
    Hah, I second that, though it is bound to surface eventually.

If I knew the phys. component was a CD I'd buy it right now, but it's all too shady.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I did my first listen through of this in complete darkness in the middle of the night. Everything off but my speakers. I'm really glad I made the investment a few months back to buy some awesome speakers and an amp. This EP blasting into my brain in a dark room with my eyes shut is really something fucking else.

I would seriously recommend all of you experience it this way. It's such a different vibe than listening along and posting on ETS at the same time, or whatever else you guys are all doing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I did my first listen through of this in complete darkness in the middle of the night. Everything off but my speakers. I'm really glad I made the investment a few months back to buy some awesome speakers and an amp. This EP blasting into my brain in a dark room with my eyes shut is really something fucking else.

I would seriously recommend all of you experience it this way. It's such a different vibe than listening along and posting on ETS at the same time, or whatever else you guys are all doing.
    Don't tell me what to do, Trent!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Well, if I might add, I'd also suggest the room be quite cold. Kind of like a cave.

This is a cold, dark cave EP. 100%.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Since the metadata seems to vary depending on which format you download(ed), I went ahead and typed out all of the information present for the WAV files as well as the cover art:

Branches/Bones
    -------------------

ORIGDATE • 2016-12-2
    ORIGINATOR • Pro Tools
    ORIGREFERENCE • E8SzTt9FgLgaaaGk
    ORIGTIME • 12:34:50
    TIMEREFERENCE • 172800000

Dear World,
    --------------

ORIGDATE • 2016-12-2
    ORIGINATOR • Pro Tools
    ORIGREFERENCE • F4gw9s9FgTgaaaGk
    ORIGTIME • 12:34:51
    TIMEREFERENCE • 177922666

She's Gone Away
    -------------------

ORIGDATE • 2016-12-2
    ORIGINATOR • Pro Tools
    ORIGREFERENCE • UZj5Et9FhzmaaaGk
    ORIGTIME • 12:40:38
    TIMEREFERENCE • 189765132

The Idea Of You
    -------------------

ORIGDATE • 2016-12-2
    ORIGINATOR • Pro Tools
    ORIGREFERENCE • 77CBfr9FhXnaaaGk
    ORIGTIME • 12:41:00
    TIMEREFERENCE • 207042610

Burning Bright (Field On Fire)
    ----------------------------------

ORIGDATE • 2016-12-2
    ORIGINATOR • Pro Tools
    ORIGREFERENCE • Ie3ABt9FgbhaaaGk
    ORIGTIME • 12:34:56
    TIMEREFERENCE • 0

// Cover Art //
    -----------------

Date taken • 12/8/2016 8:19PM
    Program name • Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 Macintosh
    Dimensions • 1000x1000
    Width • 1000 pixels
    Height • 1000 pixels
    Horizontal resolution • 600 dpi
    Vertical resolution • 600 dpi
    Bit depth • 24
    Resolution unit • 2
    Color representation • sRGB
    Photometric interpretation • RGB
    EXIF version • 0221

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Didn't tell us to turn our fucking phones off enough to be Trent

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would love to see them fully explore this new/old direction but I fear this might be it seeing how he said an EP was the perfect length to tell this story.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Trent, THANKS.

It's not anger, it's relevance.
    This is so good.Happy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really like how burning bright (field on fire) it's this massive brilliant wall of sound and the first lyrics in the track you can really understand clearly are "break through the surface and breathe". That's exactly how it feels when you get to that part.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Initial thoughts
    - Trent sounds like Zoolander on the second track
    - It's very late 90s sounding; it's like the antithesis to The Fragile. It's also like a better version of what 20 bands have tried to do but really poorly.
    - I like this shit. A lot.
    - I can already hear the album fold in on itself with several leitmotifs swirling around
    - It also sounds like a natural follow-up to HM. You can still hear the "funk".
    - I am not getting any work done today.
    - This is how you do a heavy rock album without sounding like The Slip
    - Mmm, NIN

Also I'm assuming both MP3 versions are the same? I imported the "secret physical component" one to iTunes before the one that comes with the vinyl and it wouldn't let me import the latter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I cant add the artwork to my wav files in itunes. They are simply not showing the artwork on my iphone :/ help

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dzaver View Post
    I cant add the artwork to my wav files in itunes. They are simply not showing the artwork on my iphone :/ help
    Embedding a 3000x3000 image will do that, try to resize it to a third of that and it should show up fine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Downloading....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Is there a way to just order the mp3 files?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dzaver View Post
    Is there a way to just order the mp3 files?
    Get the $12 one. It's a deal just for the MP3.

Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    It feels like The Fragile fucked With Teeth.
    This needs to go on the advertising

Quote Originally Posted by gamecat235 View Post
    I just copy-pasta'd what is embedded in the files. But yea, there is some... uh... subtext? additional content? something​ that got included. LOL

Where did you find the lyrics? If they're embedded somewhere secret then fine but there's nothing in my itunes metadata or in the folder so if this is something plebs should be able to see I've missed out! I got the MP3s