Thread: 2018 Midterm Elections - The Aftermath

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    @elevenism what's the vibe like on the ground? Is there a sense among people you know that Beto could win?
    I mean there is a lot of support but it still doesn't look good.

I'm certain Texas won't stay red forever though

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I mean there is a lot of support but it still doesn't look good.

I'm certain Texas won't stay red forever though
    Yeah. I live in the DFW area and there are sooooo many Beto signs. Beto support here is surging. However, I went to Lubbock last weekend for a wedding and there were hardly any Beto signs. If Beto is going to win, he's going to need to convince some of the more rural Texans and the 18-25 demographic to vote. It's going to be a wild ride for sure.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Yeah. I live in the DFW area and there are sooooo many Beto signs. Beto support here is surging. However, I went to Lubbock last weekend for a wedding and there were hardly any Beto signs. If Beto is going to win, he's going to need to convince some of the more rural Texans and the 18-25 demographic to vote. It's going to be a wild ride for sure.
    Yeah I mean, if anyone supports him up here North of amarillo, they're keeping that shit to themselves

But as for my friends in dfw, I've never seen this much support for a Senate race. Plus, I mean, it's crazy. People in other COUNTRIES are excited about Beto, sending me memes and shit.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Regarding Beto: he's not going to convince people in these panhandle farming communities, period.
    Trump totally fucked over texas farmers. Then he offered them a bailout. Trump doesn't understand that these people don't WANT a fucking bailout.
    They are insulted by the idea.

But EVEN AFTER all this bullshit, the majority of these farmers still support a straight red ticket.

It's sad, really.

Edit: i'm mostly talking about low income people below, not farmers

I think it's the great deception of the republican party. They stand for "old timey values." They prey on xenophobia and racism.
    In this manner, they are able to garner support from people who would BENEFIT THE MOST from the social programs the left wants to enact.

Worse yet, a recent poll shows that the majority of Texans support the expansion of medicaid. Medicaid is all but unobtainable here: a single mother of 2 can't receive it if she makes more than like $3500 a month.

But our elected officials are HELLBENT on undoing ANYTHING that has to do with the ACA. Hell, our attorney general has tried to SUE THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to have the ACA declared unconstitutional.

I also remember that, when the ACA was first enacted, texans stood to benefit the most from the program, and were also the most vehemently opposed.

I fucking LOVE texas. I'm a Texan first and an American...i was going to say 2nd, but i REALLY don't want to be part of this country AT ALL.
    I love our rebellious spirit. Texas is home. It's in my blood, literally, as my ancestors were here when texas was still a country.

But we are currently, on the whole, misguided. I DO expect that to change, at least to some degree, sooner than later.

THIS IS WHY WE NEED BLUE DOG DEMS.
    If we can't change people's minds about social conservatism, we need candidates who will be socially conservative and fiscally liberal.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    THIS IS WHY WE NEED BLUE DOG DEMS.
    If we can't change people's minds about social conservatism, we need candidates who will be socially conservative and fiscally liberal.
    You need to get a Democratic Governor who can at least fix the voting system, then worry about all of the rest. Your voting system is FUCKED. F U C K E D. Intentionally fucked-up stupid. Voters choosing straight-ticket Democrat who look on the screen to verify their votes are seeing that they voted for TED CRUZ. They complain, and nothing is done. With Republicans in charge, nothing will change. Gerrymandering and cheating and computers weighting the system in the Republicans' favor will continue.

Even if every non-Republican went INDEPENDENT in Texas right now, it wouldn't make one damned bit of difference if the Republicans are cheating.

And the Republican voters LIKE that because they vote for two single issues: Guns and abortion.

The only way that anybody BUT a Republican has a chance of winning the Governor's and Secretary of State race (to fix the election system, probably the MOST important races in Texas) is: Get crossover votes (note: this does not mean a Dem who is pro-life) re guns and abortion. It's how Democrats won in other Red states.

Other areas in the country focused more on jobs as the key issue, but Texas? Guns and abortion. The right is brainwashed into believing that ALL people who aren't Conservative hate all guns and run screaming from them in the other direction. There is an entire Twitter UNIVERSE out there with people talking about how, if there is a "REVOLUTION," the poor stupid "Libtards" will be completely unarmed and the Conservatives will be the only ones with guns.

This is why a lot of black folk are doing the opposite: When there is an uprising of racism, disarming is NOT the thing to do. Especially when their ancestors have been hung from trees. They sure as shit ain't aiming to go through that, again.

That's why they point to when the NRA supported gun control when the Black Panthers had weapons.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-01-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    You need to get a Democratic Governor who can at least fix the voting system, then worry about all of the rest. Your voting system is FUCKED. F U C K E D. Intentionally fucked-up stupid. Voters choosing straight-ticket Democrat who look on the screen to verify their votes are seeing that they voted for TED CRUZ. They complain, and nothing is done. With Republicans in charge, nothing will change. Gerrymandering and cheating and computers weighting the system in the Republicans' favor will continue.

Even if every non-Republican went INDEPENDENT in Texas right now, it wouldn't make one damned bit of difference if the Republicans are cheating.

And the Republican voters LIKE that because they vote for two single issues: Guns and abortion.

The only way that anybody BUT a Republican has a chance of winning the Governor's and Secretary of State race (to fix the election system, probably the MOST important races in Texas) is: Get crossover votes (note: this does not mean a Dem who is pro-life) re guns and abortion. It's how Democrats won in other Red states.

Other areas in the country focused more on jobs as the key issue, but Texas? Guns and abortion. The right is brainwashed into believing that ALL people who aren't Conservative hate all guns and run screaming from them in the other direction. There is an entire Twitter UNIVERSE out there with people talking about how, if there is a "REVOLUTION," the poor stupid "Libtards" will be completely unarmed and the Conservatives will be the only ones with guns.

This is why a lot of black folk are doing the opposite: When there is an uprising of racism, disarming is NOT the thing to do. Especially when their ancestors have been hung from trees. They sure as shit ain't aiming to go through that, again.

That's why they point to when the NRA supported gun control when the Black Panthers had weapons.
    Only thing I'll add is to also elect more Dems to the state legislature, but this is exactly correct. There are also PLENTY of numbers and evidence that supports the fact that Texas is a low-voter turn out state. Much of that is gerrymandering on the rest of it is just the state making it hard for folks to register to vote. Those fixes start with local government and shifting the balance there. Texas, IMO, is a purple state that could turn blue down the road.

@elevenism - your points are valid and please don't misinterpret this critique as me trying to discount you, but the last thing progressivism needs is more blue dog democrats. No more Joe Manchins.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Only thing I'll add is to also elect more Dems to the state legislature, but this is exactly correct. There are also PLENTY of numbers and evidence that supports the fact that Texas is a low-voter turn out state. Much of that is gerrymandering on the rest of it is just the state making it hard for folks to register to vote. Those fixes start with local government and shifting the balance there. Texas, IMO, is a purple state that could turn blue down the road.

@elevenism - your points are valid and please don't misinterpret this critique as me trying to discount you, but the last thing progressivism needs is more blue dog democrats. No more Joe Manchins.
    my opinion democratic views are very popular popular, my view is dem's are always running to the right. claiming to be moderate name one moderate republican. they have huge branding problem. not being able to shake myth's like liberal media. tax and spend. roger knew what he was doing and had advised Nixon the television was the future. you can say well the left has msnbc or CNN. but they don't near the viewership of fox. look i know the have to cater to advertisers. there are 6 companies that control every thing you see. so if you think. they are going report unbiased on this no more than they are going to start sending you checks.sorry to always rant here but I find it important people see what's happening.
    -louie

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    You need to get a Democratic Governor who can at least fix the voting system, then worry about all of the rest. Your voting system is FUCKED
    I agree, but I think you are overestimating the control that i, personally, have over these things
    @ltrandazzo , I think you're right. I think Texas IS already a purple state. If we weren't gerrymandered to hell, things would definitely be different.
    Also, brother-man, I know you aren't trying to discount me and I LOVE discussing these things.
    @allegro , DEFINITELY. A pro-gun dem who is a social centrist could get the job done.

I'm SO glad you guys have an understanding of the truth about Texas politics. I don't think many people do.