Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghosts V: Together & Ghosts VI: Locusts

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I'm too lazy to go through this thread... does anyone have info if their will be a vinyl and/ or CD release on this? Thank you.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    I'm too lazy to go through this thread... does anyone have info if their will be a vinyl and/ or CD release on this? Thank you.
    no info yet.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    I'd be surprised if it doesn't get some kind of physical release since they got halo numbers, but we might have to wait until 2021.
    Everything, especially vinyl, is delayed now.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    So 7digital has 24bit downloads for V and VI. I know some have had issues with them in the past in terms of getting upsampled content, so I don't know how legit it is. I took the liberty of buying one track (Run Like Hell) and running it through a couple tests. It seems okay, but if someone with a little more know-how wants to test it out, PM me.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "Another crashed car" car is amazing... I have visuals like from book/movie The Road...

(edit: of course not "amazing" like wow crashed cars and dystopia how lovely)
    Last edited by Substance242; 04-10-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    I imagine they will eventually.
    I hope so. Then again, there's plenty of their back catalogue that isn't available as HD downloads via NIN.com .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    After listening to Ghosts V & VI for a while and then revisiting some of the soundtrack work I have to say that the extended lengths of the songs on the new albums fits these compositions really well. Some of the TRAR songs feel underdeveloped and lacking in length compared to this.

So while it certainly is not a big departure in terms of musical style for Trent and Atticus and could be argued that it fits better under their own "label", these albums are still a significant addition to their body of work. I guess it is a good thing to explore these ambient alleys from time to time without having the restraints that come with working for a specific movie project.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I can't not think of Coil's Ape of Naples record when listening to Ghosts V. It had to be an influence on them in some form or fashion. They virtually sound like sibling albums..

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I can't not think of Coil's Ape of Naples record when listening to Ghosts V. It had to be an influence on them in some form or fashion. They virtually sound like sibling albums..
    I'm interested to know what you think of Julianna Barwick's album The Magic Place in comparison to Ghosts V.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Locusts might already be one of my favorite NIN albums.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I'm interested to know what you think of Julianna Barwick's album The Magic Place in comparison to Ghosts V.
    Shit, my mistake. I meant to type Ghosts VI sounds like a sibling to The Ape of Naples, not V..

Ghosts V most certainly does not sound anything like TAON..

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Shit, my mistake. I meant to type Ghosts VI sounds like a sibling to The Ape of Naples, not V..

Ghosts V most certainly does not sound anything like TAON..
    Ah, that makes way more sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    there is no marimba on ghosts vi thus it can’t be ape’s sister album

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    there is no marimba on ghosts vi thus it can’t be ape’s sister album
    The fact that NIN put out an album without a marimba on it is the most surprising part about this release. It's like TR's favorite instrument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    rightfully so

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    So pre-story: my son almost exclusively listens to his ipod on shuffle all, so any song can come up at any time.

Yesterday we were out walking and he asks me what was up with all the creepy songs on his ipod. I know what he's talking about - I sneak stuff into his playlists all the time - but I ask what he's talking about. He says these creepy Nine Inch Nails songs! I ask if they're Ghosts and he checks and says yes. he's noticed that most of them give him anxiety but others are calming but he can't figure out which is which and that the naming convention of XX Ghosts XX makes it difficult as well. and it turns out that the one he was listening to was from Locusts so I told him those were particularly anxiety-inducing.

then later in the walk he says here's another one that's anxiety inducing but it's not from NIN but from the soundtrack to the Score. I ask him what the title of the song is and he says "The Gentle Hum of Anxiety" which made us both laugh because of the on-point title. So I ask him to look at it closer to see who the artist is and he says the track is by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross. So I told him that it's the same thing, more or less.

side note: the Score is a pretty interesting watch if you haven't seen it. I found a soundtrack to it that had all of the songs featured and that's what he was listening to.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    how old is your son?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    he's 14, right where he's starting to listen to music other than his peer group. he's a big classical music kid because he plays cello so I put ambient stuff in his playlists all the time. it's close enough, right?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Man, 7/8 years old is when I really got into music on my own and finding bands I loved. Before that, I was just hearing stuff played by my older brother (Guns N Roses, 2 Live Crew) and my dad (Black Sabbath). I began listening to Nirvana, The Breeders, Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, etc. Then, when I was 9, a friend in elementary school brought in a cassette tape he just picked up to show me. It was Priority Records' The Best Of Rave and I heard LA Style's James Brown Is Dead. I never heard rave music before. Well, my life changed after that moment and I went hardcore into electronic music.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    This pair of albums makes for excellent late-night headphone listening. I'm enjoying brief respites from the flurry of online meetings and newborn-rearing these past few weeks with this as the soundtrack to the ceasefire.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I actually enjoy these albums more than Ghosts I-IV. They just feel more focused and put together. I-IV has its moments, but I really can't sit through it without getting bored. Very much a record I need to be in the mood for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just want to give Trent such a big thank you for releasing these new albums. Looks like its been over a month since I woke up to news of this release. Its easy to lose track of time these days. I have been listening to these albums over and over. They have been my soundtrack to the pandemic. I'm going through one of my last semesters of nursing school and as I've been studying, this is what is playing.

I don't know if its partly what we are experiencing as a world or what, but these new albums have me excited about new music again. It is my favorite NIN album right now. I know they are two separate albums, but I've been kind of experiencing them as two parts of a whole. This is music is absolutely hypnotic, dark, long form type stuff but its also very cohesive, exactly what I am digging in 2020. I just can't stop listening to it. I'd be hard pressed to say whether I like Together or Locusts more. I will say I think Locusts has more stand out tracks.

Glad to see there is a such a great community here!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I remember the wave of excitement I felt when I saw these albums released. I just thought thank you, Trent! It gave me something to look forward to and really made this whole situation a little less shitty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    So 7digital has 24bit downloads for V and VI. I know some have had issues with them in the past in terms of getting upsampled content, so I don't know how legit it is. I took the liberty of buying one track (Run Like Hell) and running it through a couple tests. It seems okay, but if someone with a little more know-how wants to test it out, PM me.
    Ive just bought both albums and will run them through Spek later and see what it shows up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I've just run all the files through Spek along with the original MP3s and on Locusts especially the upper frequencies look dramatically different on the 24 bit files so it looks like these are legitimate

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I find it strange that 7Digital Hi-Res is 24/44. Aren't NIN and their scores 24/48 or 24/96? First I've seen 24/44 with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I find it strange that 7Digital Hi-Res is 24/44. Aren't NIN and their scores 24/48 or 24/96? First I've seen 24/44 with them.
    yeah Trent prefers to record at 24/48 than higher resolutions so it is strange. The streaming on amazon music is 24/44 as well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So... here is my first world problem for today, I want to burn these 2 to CD but as you all know locusts is 83mn.
    I can always try to over burn but I'm not sure by how much i can go so any of you guys have a suggestion on what would be a good edit to take out say 2mn?
    I'd like to keep all 15 songs in and just try to splice out a part of some.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    So... here is my first world problem for today, I want to burn these 2 to CD but as you all know locusts is 83mn.
    I can always try to over burn but I'm not sure by how much i can go so any of you guys have a suggestion on what would be a good edit to take out say 2mn?
    I'd like to keep all 15 songs in and just try to splice out a part of some.
    Cutting a whole track is butchering, so maybe cut the end of Turn This Off Please, as it's 13min long. I wouldn't cut it because it's one of my favorites, but it won't harm it as much as the others, because its end is a slow comedown.

Though cutting a little bit of everything could work, but that feels very wrong to end or begin everything with a fade.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Put "The Cursed Clock" on the end of Ghosts V. Now there is enough room on both discs for a standard 80-minute program. Problem solved.