Page 114 of 150 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 112 113 114 115 116 124 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,420 of 4497

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    SP opening for GNR NA stadium tour on select dates.

Not bad! Not bad at all if I do say so myself.
    In all honesty, I'm kind of sick of GNR and wish they would disappear for a few years again. They've been in the limelight and touring nonstop since that reunion show back in, when was it? 2016?
    This show isn't coming to me, but if it were, I would probably reconsider going if the Pumpkins were the opening band.

Jul. 08 - Philadelphia, PA – Citizens Bank Park
    Jul. 11 - Detroit, MI – Comerica Park
    Jul. 13 - Toronto, ON – Rogers Centre
    Jul. 16 - Washington, DC – Nationals Park
    Jul. 18 - East Rutherford, NJ – Metlife Stadium
    Jul. 21 - Boston, MA – Fenway Park

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/th...sqW3NxumV38CEo

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    SP opening for GNR NA stadium tour on select dates.

Not bad! Not bad at all if I do say so myself.
    In all honesty, I'm kind of sick of GNR and wish they would disappear for a few years again. They've been in the limelight and touring nonstop since that reunion show back in, when was it? 2016?
    This show isn't coming to me, but if it were, I would probably reconsider going if the Pumpkins were the opening band.

Jul. 08 - Philadelphia, PA – Citizens Bank Park
    Jul. 11 - Detroit, MI – Comerica Park
    Jul. 13 - Toronto, ON – Rogers Centre
    Jul. 16 - Washington, DC – Nationals Park
    Jul. 18 - East Rutherford, NJ – Metlife Stadium
    Jul. 21 - Boston, MA – Fenway Park

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/th...sqW3NxumV38CEo
    Awesome news! Just got my GN'R ticket today! Psyched that the Pumpkins are on the bill!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I really wish the Minneapolis date was included on that list.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I really wish the Minneapolis date was included on that list.
    Was thinking the same about Milwaukee. Bummerski. Milwaukee is the only non-stadium venue too.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Was thinking the same about Milwaukee. Bummerski. Milwaukee is the only non-stadium venue too.
    Yeah, I'd definitely drive to Milwaukee for that show too!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    They better get a band as big or bigger for wrigley field, huge bummer we wont get SP.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'd like to see Axl join the band for "Bullet with Butterfly Wings."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    No real desire to go to Fenway park or see GNR.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Gonna be a tough crowd for Billy to win over. He best bring the “assault” setlist. Like, Zero/Geek/Siva/XYU/Aeroplane/Quiet/Everlasting/The End Is The Beginning/Boys Fear To Tread/Solaris/Bullet. Actually, that exact setlist would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just wanted to say thank you for sharing this. I had never heard this and listening for the second time now with headphones and I'm totally blown away. It captures the magic and the innocence that is impossible to reproduce now. I totally agree with your comments. I was about 16 when these songs came out and hearing him like this makes me feel what I felt back then when I knew it was special. I had no idea at the time how special these songs would become to me... This recording of Obscured and their conversation at the end just makes it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Came across this old tape of Billy doing some solo acoustic shit. Have any of you ever heard this before? I've been kind of fascinated by this tape for a few days now.

I think what most struck me about listening to this is how Billy's guitar playing used to have this dreamy, meditative style, and I miss that sound so much. It's a huge part of what's missing for me in SP 2.0. Listening to this tape, there's this kind of shimmery, inward-looking, reflective quality, and you can just tell that he was a thoughtful guy who used to spend hours getting lost in the sound of his guitar, just exploring those vibes. And I spent so much time in my youth listening to this dude play, that it almost feels like that mellow, dreamy style of guitar playing captures something about me. Which is probably a dumb thing to say, but honestly, yeah, something about the vibe of me as a human being is similar to the vibe of that guitar playing. I think that's why I can't fully bring myself to ever stop listening to this shit, even though I can't stand who Billy Corgan has become. To turn my back on this old sound would feel like a violation of my core self.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Don't have the budget to shell out for GnR nosebleed prices, it'll be a greatest hits list for sure, and I've seen them once each past year already. Gonna have to pass.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    Gonna be a tough crowd for Billy to win over. He best bring the “assault” setlist. Like, Zero/Geek/Siva/XYU/Aeroplane/Quiet/Everlasting/The End Is The Beginning/Boys Fear To Tread/Solaris/Bullet. Actually, that exact setlist would be appreciated.
    I think the Pumpkins will go over well. Your avarage ticket buyer is a 40 something who probably bought AFD in 5th grade, UYI in high school and then moved on to alternative rock by the mid-90's, and is still pissed at a the guy who lived in his dorm who borrowed his MCATIS and returned it late, with the second disc missing, but was too caught up with O.J. and Rachel and Ross to mention it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    Why not also Tales of a Scorched Earth lol??? I think you really are overselling the people in this crowd. That setlist is pretty heavy. GnR aren't exactly Napalm Death. Boys Fear to Tread is a ripper. They nail shit like that & XYU and they'll honestly show up GnR. They're gonna stick to 2-3 new songs & the singles unless Axl gives them a full hour (possible). In fact, that was almost certainly agreed upon when the contract was signed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I mean, if they have an album coming out toward the end of the year (supposedly), they'll have some headlining dates I'm sure.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaps30 View Post
    I mean, if they have an album coming out toward the end of the year (supposedly), they'll have some headlining dates I'm sure.
    Where'd you hear "toward the end of the year" from? They're almost done working on it, why would they wait until the end of the year to release it?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Billy said they aren't playing anything new in the summer

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Where'd you hear "toward the end of the year" from? They're almost done working on it, why would they wait until the end of the year to release it?
    I thought it said that here:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sm...bum-this-year/

But after re-reading it, I see it just says "this year" so I guess I just misread it.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    He did say he was hoping to have new songs out by the end of spring or summer. Maybe by mid-year. He doesn't like debuting new songs live before the album's out anymore because he hates when people complain that it "sounded better live and got butchered in the studio".

Meanwhile wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    He doesn't like debuting new songs live before the album's out anymore because he hates when people complain that it "sounded better live and got butchered in the studio".
    You mean the truth.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I saw the Pumpkins in 2008 and if I remember correctly they played a lot of songs that were in the works, not sure how many of them were eventually recorded. The band was not well received.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    You mean the truth.
    Ehhh...kinda sorta, with more frequency the further down the path you get. It's something I've been hearing about tracks since Adore. Although Machina's production was of course questionable, I always thought the album arrangements were good. Zeitgeist onward though, absolutely.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    According to Twitter the mixing is done, now to mastering.

https://twitter.com/SmashingPumpkin/status/1230511376176680960?s=20

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Ehhh...kinda sorta, with more frequency the further down the path you get. It's something I've been hearing about tracks since Adore. Although Machina's production was of course questionable, I always thought the album arrangements were good. Zeitgeist onward though, absolutely.
    Did they road-test the Adore songs with Jimmy before his firing and the recording of that album? I personally love it and think it sounds great. Zeitgeist didn't bother half as much as Machina, which is the worst sounding SP album, IMHO. Hopefully this new reissue will fix that.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Did they road-test the Adore songs with Jimmy before his firing and the recording of that album? I personally love it and think it sounds great. Zeitgeist didn't bother half as much as Machina, which is the worst sounding SP album, IMHO. Hopefully this new reissue will fix that.
    No, Jimmy was fired during the MCIS tour. With the exception of a very early version of what would become For Martha (an instrumental demo during the MCIS sessions), Adore was put together during a tenuous multi-studio process from late 1997-mid 1998. People who don't like the sound of the album say it sounded instantly dated, or was better on the Adore tour, or whathaveyou.

Zeitgeist's mix is pretty atrocious - Bill's acknowledged the need for a new mix - and is the one I would go to for best evidence of the statement. Compare the drums for United States from any of the 2007-2008 shows to the album version, for example. Live, they hit like a truck, while on the album, he sounds like he's playing in a tiny tin can in a huge room.

Both Machina I and II are over and not-really produced, respectfully. I personally enjoy the lush style to M1 but there's definitely a huge wall of sound going on with it that ain't for everyone. The Arising! tour shows show off more straightforward takes on a fair number of them.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It is the truth. Zeitgeist being a perfect example. Songs are good live and atrocious on the album, imo. More energy, no bad mixing, and vocals that aren't Billy.

That criticism will happen either way if that's the case. Only delaying it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    weirdly, i love the production on Machina. it sounds like someone cranked up the Cocteau Twins to 11 and it's amazing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    weirdly, i love the production on Machina. it sounds like someone cranked up the Cocteau Twins to 11 and it's amazing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I especially love the production on "The Crying Tree of Mercury" and "Blue Skies Bring Tears". The only one I'm really not-so-keen on is "The Imploding Voice". I've always preferred the Arising! version of that.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I especially love the production on "The Crying Tree of Mercury" and "Blue Skies Bring Tears". The only one I'm really not-so-keen on is "The Imploding Voice". I've always preferred the Arising! version of that.
    100% agree! and those are my two fav songs on the album, too! unghhhh so fucking good.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    My husband and I were gifted tickets to the Beale Street Music festival this year for Christmas and just saw that SP got added to the lineup. I'm excited! I missed my chance to see SP back in 2000 (I think that was the year?) because mono hit my high school and I got sick. :/

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I bought myself the CD remaster of MCIS as an Xmas gift to myself and have since been actively trying to not listen to it for fear of wearing it out too fast. This is my new 'The Fragile'. What a fantastic album.

Suffice it to say, I'm feeling pretty dumb for sleeping on this band until now.