Page 77 of 84 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Looks like the two Nathan Adlers are swapped on streaming (the 1:01 one happens first!), and there's also a click during Outside's title track. Otherwise seems to be very few problems with this release.

Sadly, only Black Tie has been released in high resolution so far. Not sure if that means it's the only one even able to be, or if all the albums will gradually release separately.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    didn't they also omit ziggy from the bbc show?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Sadly, only Black Tie has been released in high resolution so far. Not sure if that means it's the only one even able to be, or if all the albums will gradually release separately.
    Mayyyybe a hi-res version of Toy will come in January, but AFAIK the rest were only ever recorded/mixed at standard 16/44.1 resolution.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Brilliant Adventure came today. So lovely. I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw the product photo, but actually having this 50 pound monster in my hands and flipping through the book definitely got me emotional. Very excited to dive into it.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Have you guys ever wondered if Hello Spaceboy= Halo Spaceboy?

I'm sure I've brought this up on this board before. But I've always wondered, if that song and its lyrics weren't partially inspired by a young ...you know...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

I'm sure I've brought this up on this board before. But I've always wondered, if that song and its lyrics weren't partially inspired by a young ...you know...
    In the song he definitely sings "Halo Spaceboy", it could be...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

It's spelled Hallo in the title and was confirmed to be directly inspired by NIN, so maybe. The halo release format seems like an odd thing to reference of all NIN things you could reference, but it's Bowie, so *shrug*.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    It's spelled Hallo in the title and was confirmed to be directly inspired by NIN, so maybe. The halo release format seems like an odd thing to reference of all NIN things you could reference, but it's Bowie, so *shrug*.
    Oh SHIT, @Toadflax , you're right about the spelling. I can't believe I forgot that, with Outside being a STRONG "greatest album of all time" contender for me.

As far as HALO spaceboy?
    Well, there's something to be said for subtlety, right?
    I mean, Bowie COULD have said "Trent reznor of NINE inch nails, you're sleepy now..."
    etc

Just doesn't have the same ring to it
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-30-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Well, there's something to be said for subtlety, right?

I mean, Bowie COULD have said "Trent reznor of NINE inch nails, you're sleepy now..."
    etc

Just doesn't have the same ring to it
    Ha, of course I would expect nothing less than elegant subtlety from Mr. B. I'm just saying it would be an odd choice to reference the numeric way an artist chooses to catalog their releases rather than referencing the songs or albums themselves. It would be like wanting to reference your partner in a painting and doing it by putting the last four digits of their SSN somewhere.

That said, I do remember the halo nomenclature to be a cool and talked about thing among NIN fans (still is now, but especially back then), so it's certainly possible that Bowie gravitated toward making reference to it over anything else.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Ha, of course I would expect nothing less than elegant subtlety from Mr. B. I'm just saying it would be an odd choice to reference the numeric way an artist chooses to catalog their releases rather than referencing the songs or albums themselves. It would be like wanting to reference your partner in a painting and doing it by putting the last four digits of their SSN somewhere.

That said, I do remember the halo nomenclature to be a cool and talked about thing among NIN fans (still is now, but especially back then), so it's certainly possible that Bowie gravitated toward making reference to it over anything else.
    Dude I was totally thinking of this cartoon when I imagined "Trent Reznor of NINE inch nails...you're sleepy now."

It's fucking hilarious: I highly.recommended.

But YEAH, I mean, regarding using "halo," if you think of some of the other lyrics, and what they COULD be referencing, perhaps the inspiration wasn't something anyone wanted screamed from the rooftops (sleepy, stationary, your custody calls, don't you wanna be free.) Trent talked about Bowie sort.of nudging him towards sobriety in those days.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-30-2021 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    But YEAH, I mean, regarding using "halo," if you think of some of the other lyrics, and what they COULD be referencing, perhaps the inspiration wasn't something anyone wanted screamed from the rooftops (sleepy, stationary, your custody calls, don't you wanna be free.) Trent talked about Bowie sort.of nudging him towards sobriety in those days.
    Okay, but keep in mind Trent and Bowie basically didn't know each other yet at this point. They hadn't gone on tour yet and at most had had a couple of phone calls and/or meetings regarding the possibility of doing something together. It seems the majority of NIN influence on Outside would have been more from Bowie as a general fan of Trent's music as compared to the following couple of years when they would really be getting to know each other.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Okay, but keep in mind Trent and Bowie basically didn't know each other yet at this point. They hadn't gone on tour yet and at most had had a couple of phone calls and/or meetings regarding the possibility of doing something together. It seems the majority of NIN influence on Outside would have been more from Bowie as a general fan of Trent's music as compared to the following couple of years when they would really be getting to know each other.
    TRUE, BUT, what if some of those phone calls went on for hours?

Idk. It's just a thought I had, tossed into the infinite sea of bullshit and monkey cum.that comprises the majority of this plane of existence. It's just another tiny layer.

Did you like the cartoon?
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-30-2021 at 02:23 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Bowie has said numerous times Outside was influenced by the Young Gods and not NIN. I think NIN fans like to dream up this narrative that Deebs was heavily inspired by TR around that time but he was digging Franz and the Young Gods.....The NIN influenced started to take place around Earthling

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Anyone have any insight on these new remasters? I've only had a chance to check out a few tracks to compare, and that was with sub par speakers.

Toy sounds good to me. The rest of the 90s stuff always sounded great to me and it seems they didn't tweak it too much for this release.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Anyone have any insight on these new remasters? I've only had a chance to check out a few tracks to compare, and that was with sub par speakers.

Toy sounds good to me. The rest of the 90s stuff always sounded great to me and it seems they didn't tweak it too much for this release.
    Yeah, they sound good. Slightly different but not a world of difference from before. My vinyl copy of Toy unfortunately has some non-fill issues on the first disc (which I'm hearing is a common problem), but apart from that, the whole box set is awesome. Really great to have all this on vinyl at last.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post

I think Trent has listened to Buddha of Suburbia plenty. Sounds fantastic!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I wasn't super familiar with BTWN or Buddha before. It's really cool to hear something that sounds like the exact midpoint between 80's Bowie and Outside Bowie.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    FUCK SAKE.

So I just found out that Lazarus (the musical) was streamed live, for three nights in January, THIS year.

PLEASE, for the love of god, tell me someone recorded it.

I can't find a torrent anywhere.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    ^^
    It was seeded at BowieStation for a while, but then it was removed due to copyright strike.

Spoiler: They only removed the thread with the link though. The actual torrent file still works. PM me if you want it

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It wasn't, strictly speaking, a 'live' stream... they sweetened the audio (including some tuning on the actors' voices) in post-production. But it does give a flavour of what the show was like. A very strange, haunting, elliptical piece. I also bought the book last year from Playwrights Canada Press, a really nice item to have in my collection.
    Last edited by botley; 12-18-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    https://pitchfork.com/news/david-bow...ar250-million/

should this mean anything to a layman?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post

It’s a better tax structure for the estate, and one lump sum for the estate’s heir, taxed as capital gains which is a better rate.

Springsteen just did the same thing, for his future heirs and trustees.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    For the 75th anniversary of the master's birth yesterday, I listened to the new Toy boxset. I like it plenty. He had a nice band for those sessions. Also listened to the first Tin Machine record. I think that's a great record. Turned me onto Reeves Gabrels who is now 1 of my favorite guitar players.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post

I think it's interesting how open Bowie's estate/the heirs are handling the legacy, opposed to how controlling Bowie himself has been in his later years. I mean, they're selling the publishing rights, left and right they're releasing box-sets, anniversary picture discs, live albums. I'm not really sure what to make of it tbh.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I think it's interesting how open Bowie's estate/the heirs are handling the legacy, opposed to how controlling Bowie himself has been in his later years. I mean, they're selling the publishing rights, left and right they're releasing box-sets, anniversary picture discs, live albums. I'm not really sure what to make of it tbh.
    All of that was going on while he was alive. Bowie Bonds? Countless anniversary CDs, that enormous Station to Station box set, you name it...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    For the 75th anniversary of the master's birth yesterday, I listened to the new Toy boxset. I like it plenty. He had a nice band for those sessions. Also listened to the first Tin Machine record. I think that's a great record. Turned me onto Reeves Gabrels who is now 1 of my favorite guitar players.
    neither are masterpieces, but both tin machine records have a handful of great songs on them. 'run' and 'i can't read' from the first. 'you belong in rock and roll' and 'baby universal' from the second. 'i can't read' is superior in the acoustic/96-97 era imo (though the full electric version is still great), while 'you belong in rock and roll' is one of my favorite early 90s bowie tracks...

is anyone catching the mike garson show? after seeing two live in person and last year's stream, i feel like there might be diminishing returns tonight, but i still bought a ticket. hoping there's a few jaw-droppers (akin to oldman's take on ICR and gail's 'strangers when we meet') this time around...

also, NEXT saturday (the 15th), i'm doing a 6-7 hour livestream on twitch. all bowie. all vinyl. planning on playing at least one track from every record, plenty of deep cuts, and lots of rare stuff. all eras (including some of that dodgy 60s stuff) will be represented! for the facebook crowd, here's the invite. you can find me at twitch.com/operadenuit

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    this is still fun on a lot of levels.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Last edited by allegro; 01-08-2022 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    St. Vincent did a remix of "It's No Game"...for a Peloton workout.

No clue how to hear this without...an exercise bike?

I hate this world.