Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Sorry for your loss @allegro ... many hugs for you and your mom.

This report on the CDC's early response is infuriating.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Guys, I appreciate the condolences but my Dad died four years ago.

My point was that my Dad was on a vent for two months and died at midnight alone, but at least a nurse was there (or so they TOLD us), but right now there are a shitload of people in hospitals dying without their families because their families are not allowed to visit. Ever. You can FaceTime while your relative dies.

This thought, particularly after having gone through all this with my Dad, is HORRIFYING. My brother and I had to wear gowns and masks and gloves into the room, but JESUS, at least we could visit. Hospitals are full of really sick people right now who aren’t allowed any visitors because of this plague, and this must cause anguish beyond anything imaginable. Especially to families.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-30-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    ....You can FaceTime while your relative dies......
    In 2015, my son spent 3 weeks on ventilator/ECMO machines before he was released healthy. There were a few times when we couldn't be in the room during procedures or transport, but the thought of not being able to be in the room EVER during that process really hits hard.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    This report on the CDC's early response is infuriating.
    This is not at all surprising. Have you seen our V.A. healthcare system? It’s a disaster of bloated bureaucracy and insufficient funding.

Our public health system is even worse. It is absolutely antiquated. We were never prepared for something like this.

Edit: Additionally, the fact that we are a Republic, and that each state operates its own healthcare system and tracks its own data, further complicates matters in a time like this when attempting to track national data. Throw into that early information with lack of testing in all the states, when data about patient illness or morbidity didn’t necessarily include information about Covid-19 because there was no way to know. And they were relying on PAPER? Literally? Wtf.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-30-2020 at 01:06 PM.