Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I'm thinking about getting these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0040L...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

anyone have any experience with speakers in the 500 dollar range?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    anyone have any experience with speakers in the 500 dollar range?
    i make my living as an A/V guy and i 100% agree with joymode. Klipsch are nice (and they're definitely pretty), but for the price, i'd go with Polk or JBL.

and yeah, for the love of your own ears, stay away from Bose. they give you all this crap about how they've refined technology for better sound but it's mostly bullshit and only applies under very, very specific listening conditions.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I always said that Bose should win amazing grandiose awards... For Marketing.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I was also thinking about getting these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018QRO9A/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357314421&sr=8-7&pi=SL75

But then I read this guys review

If your looking for GREAT Bookshelf speakers for playing MUSIC...ESPECIALLY VINYL. THESE SPEAKERS IMPRESS!

Ok,
    So I'm on a budget, (like most these days) and my 15 year old Yamaha (NS-A635) bookshelf speakers have served me well, but have had it. What do I do??? Well logically, buy another (supposedly) comparable pair of Yamaha bookshelf speakers, the(NS-6490's) to be exact. I live in a condo, and when it comes to sound, I need quality not quanity. Excited to receive my new Yamaha's, I hook them up and immediately notice the "sparkle" of my old vinyl records is now replaced with a "hallow tinny" sound. At the price point I paid, I didn't expect to be wowed...but still. Frustrated, I lug them back to the Post Office and after endless research, conversations, and weeks of research; I've been convinced that a pair of Polk Audio bookshelf speakers, (the RTiA1's) to be exact, will trump the Yamaha's. At over double the price, (around $300 Dollars or so for the pair), I'm expecting nothing less...so I wait.

A week later the Polk speakers arrive. Upon unpacking them I'm immediately impressed. Polk Audio sure makes a nice product, real wood cabinets, handsome design, etc... Upon playing them, (I know there is a break in period involved), while detailed, there is NO SPARKLE. That is, the high end sounds "subdued" and not crisp. Even upon increasing the treble response, (while still warm sounding) vocal passages still sound some what "muffled," cymbals, and other percussion instruments have the missing clarity and punch that I'm used to with Analog recordings. After about a week of lackluster performance from the Polk's, I head back to my friends at the Post Office and return them.

Finally, (upon more research), I decide upon the Klipsch (RB-51) bookshelf speakers. While slightly higher in price, I'm convinced they'll deliver the sound I'm looking for. Upon receiving them from a reputable Amazon seller, I'm immediately impressed. The weight, build quality, cool magnetic grills, and copper colored woofers are very elegant looking, (the speakers look especially striking with the grills off). I hook them up and drop the needle on Billy Joel's Piano Man, (MOFI edition)Lp. In short, FANTASTIC!!! It was like Billy was almost playing in my living room. The KLIPSCH speakers had the clarity and detail that the POLK's lacked. No need to crank the treble response up anymore. In short, the Klipsch (RB-51) bookshelf speakers are bright, (not harsh), detailed, warm and sonic. All things considered, I can honestly say they are simply FANTASTIC!!! My music sounds ALIVE again. Worth every penny"

They will be just used for playing vinyl. This review seems good and has me looking at the klipsch's speakers. I don't know