Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I read about all of the scuffing and got a decent one that's done a great job protecting so far. Went with one from Best Buy, Griffin reveal I think. Got a black phone so I got the white bumper. Looked pretty sick for the first few days, but now being in my pants, the white has gotten all blue and dirty. Hope someone comes out with a sweet case soon that doesn't break the bank.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So my Gmail accounts have decided to randomly quit working on my iMac and my iPhone out of the blue, and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. I can send email through the webbrowser but cannot access the accounts through the Mail program or my phone. I was able to set up the gmail account on someone else's phone and access my mail but yet, I am unable to on my own phone.

Every time I try to access I get this message:

The Google IMAP server “imap.gmail.com” is not responding. Try checking the network connection, and that the server name is correct. Otherwise, the server might be temporarily unavailable. If you continue, you might not be able to receive messages.
    Does anyone know what the hell that means and how I can fix that?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    I read about all of the scuffing and got a decent one that's done a great job protecting so far. Went with one from Best Buy, Griffin reveal I think. Got a black phone so I got the white bumper. Looked pretty sick for the first few days, but now being in my pants, the white has gotten all blue and dirty. Hope someone comes out with a sweet case soon that doesn't break the bank.
    Incipio Double Cover.....

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    BEHOLD my IPAD MINI
    Attachment 211

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    ^^^^
    Nice!!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I *love* this iPad Mini. The big iPad now seems ridiculously huge; I'm giving that one to my Mom (her cat LOVES it).

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I *love* this iPad Mini. The big iPad now seems ridiculously huge; I'm giving that one to my Mom (her cat LOVES it).
    Don't tell me this! I haven't even had my iPad 3 for a year and I know if I play with a mini I most likely will want it

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I bought the first gen 64 gig 3g iPad. I never ever use it because I have my loaded MacBook Pro with me everywhere I go for work.

I pretty much just turned it over to my wife. She uses it a lot.

I might actually get this mini as a reader.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Im posting from an ipad mini! I so want one of these

*EDIT*

So yeah, I was at the apple store tonight and played around with the mini for a bit. I loved it! The size is perfect and the device itself was very responsive. I did however find that the screen is a bit 'meh' and looked grainy.The keyboard worked well which was nice, I was worried that the smaller screen would make it difficult to type since I have bigger hands.

If I didn't have the iPad 3 already I would get this little guy
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 11-04-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I don't see grainy at all.

I just see AWESOME.

I think eventually they'll drop the big iPad and just sell these minis.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-04-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I don't see them dropping the full size at all.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just got a 32 GB iPad 3 for my birthday and completely love it, and feel I've barely scratched the surface on how I'll use it. Very solid pick-up, Mom and Dad!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    I don't see them dropping the full size at all.
    When I look at my old iPods I think, ugh, this thing is HUGE. Seems like everything is getting smaller. I have the first gen iPad and that thing seems like it weighs 5 pounds more than the 4th gen ipads.

Anyway, the mini isn't THAT much smaller than the standard iPad, but it's small enough and light enough to fit into one of my smaller purses, turning into a much more portable computer. BUT, as you kinda pointed out, it's still not really a computer. I still end up at my desktop or laptop for serious computer work.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    My girlfriend hated the mini. She said it felt cheap and lacked the solid feeling that Apple products are known for. I agreed that it doesn't feel like its made from the best material out there, but it still felt like it could hold up to some abuse

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The feel of the "material" composing this iPad mini is absolutely no different than any of my 12 other Apple products. The type and weight of the steel and glass used in this mini is obviously identical to that of my first gen iPad. The iPad, itself, is just thinner (just like the difference between the 1st gen and 3rd gen iPad).
    Last edited by allegro; 11-05-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I want a mini...

But getting my first MacBook Pro soon should keep me plenty content. Looooong time wanting.

Not sure if I should get the 13" i5 or 13" i7...either with the intention of some basic modding later on, but I wouldn't be able to mod the base model 13" to i7. Both are dual-core, but is that processor spec difference worth the 300 price climb? May as well...? Hmm... Student loan.
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-07-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I went ahead and sided with a new 2012 13' i7 MBP! $150.00 off the Apple retail price. (That's $50.00 more off from education pricing.) No tax.

<<<<<<< Amazon Priiiiiiime.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

The Apple Thread (R.I.P. Steve)

Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    I went ahead and sided with a new 2012 13' i7 MBP! $150.00 off the Apple retail price. (That's $50.00 more off from education pricing.) No tax.

<<<<<<< Amazon Priiiiiiime.
    Congrats! I have the 15" and I wish I had the 13"

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I had a 13. Sold it and bought a 15 with hi res anti glare . It's my main portable.

13 is just too damn small to get any serious work done. Buy if its your first mac, you're gonna love it.

I've got macs coming out of my ears in this house. And I pretty much use the Mbp 90% of the time.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Trust me, bros...I'm fucking hard for this thing coming my way.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm on it.

"FINALLY."

I accidentally deleted the iTunes icon from the dock by dragging it on the desktop. How do I make the icon stay in the dock for good now?

Edit: I got it. I think I remember how I did it, too...

Also, how do I make sure I have Mountain Lion or how do I go about getting it? I believe I should be offered it free of charge with this purchase.
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-27-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I'm on it.

"FINALLY."

I accidentally deleted the iTunes icon from the dock by dragging it on the desktop. How do I make the icon stay in the dock for good now?

Edit: I got it. I think I remember how I did it, too...

Also, how do I make sure I have Mountain Lion or how do I go about getting it? I believe I should be offered it free of charge with this purchase.
    http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Err...I think I already have Mountain Lion? I have...Version 10.8.

Looks like that's it. Cool then.
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-27-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Err...I think I already have Mountain Lion? I have...Version 10.8.
    You've probably got a few patches to apply (I'm on 10.8.2), but yeah that's Mountain Lion.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

.3 should be out any day now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I've got a bit to learn...but I already am feeling at home.

One thing that's bugging me is my Mozilla icon in the dock keeps turning into a "?" before I've opened it in a given session. I feel like it was something I did in the time of downloading/installing, not sure what, but naturally I'm trying to wipe it clean from my system, bring it back as brand new, and hope it doesn't do that. I tried this process once, but it does "?" again after a shutdown... Did I fail to wipe it away completely before reinstalling, or was this icon picture never my fault?

Also, I get a little irritated because I can't find out what makes a command+tab not want to visibly switch to the program you're trying to switch to while working in another...like iTunes. And yet sometimes it does achieve the full switchover like I intend. I'm sure I'm missing a point... Right now though I do the combo and highlight over iTunes, but it doesn't bring up the program in my face, though iTunes is clearly what it switched to due to top bar now saying "iTunes."
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-29-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

After you downloaded Firefox, and you started up the installer from the DMG icon that looks like a little drive on your desktop, did you do as it instructed and drag the Firefox app to the Apps folder? If not, each time you click on the Firefox icon you will get the ? because the OS is looking for the DMG, which you probably ejected from your desktop?

Edit: see this ...

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-firefox-mac
    Last edited by allegro; 11-28-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    After you downloaded Firefox, and you started up the installer from the DMG icon that looks like a little drive on your desktop, did you do as it instructed and drag the Firefox app to the Apps folder? If not, each time you click on the Firefox icon you will get the ? because the OS is looking for the DMG, which you probably ejected from your desktop?

Edit: see this ...

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-firefox-mac
    I think that may've worked. I never did do the drag... Now I see the illustrative arrow. I shall see if that did the trick at the start of the next session. Thank you.

Also, I think I now understand my other issue, about the command+tab function... I simply had iTunes minimized earlier, so when it switched, it brought me to the program exactly how I left it, tucked away.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

For what it's worth. Give safari a shot. It integrates really well with the os. And syncs with your iOS devices wonderfully I don't even deal with Firefox anymore.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I rarely say things like this, but Apple customer service is super awesome.