Page 47 of 156 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 147 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    In a United States Tax Court decision announced on Wednesday, the court dismissed attorney client privilege, stating that: "When a person puts into issue his subjective intent in deciding how to comply with the law, he may forfeit the privilege afforded attorney-client communications."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...ient-privelege
    http://www.ustaxcourt.gov/InOpHistor...ern.TC.WPD.pdf

wtf?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    This sack of shit Cliven Bundy... Goddamn it. I just really started reading about this today.

What a fuck up.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Bundy is a fucking idiot. He "doesn't recognize the federal government but respects the state law" even though his own state's constitution recognize federal power.

I'm laughing at all the people who support him in the name of "states rights." This just sealed the deal:
    http://www.nationaljournal.com/polit...cause-20140424

"I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro ... They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I've often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn't get no more freedom. They got less freedom."

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Yeah... He's sure a fuckin' patriot.

Ugh. I hate when I actually get upset reading shit.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    This one probably won't get coverage but hooooooly fuck is this guy out there. No wonder Alex Jones was latching on to this guy.

(apologies in advance for linking to Glenn Beck, i absolutely hate the guy)
    first video on this page goes into the story Bundy was telling about how God told him to destroy federal property and other insane shit.
    http://www.glennbeck.com/2014/04/24/...egro-comments/

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This has been ALL OVER Facebook ugh

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    This has been ALL OVER Facebook ugh
    You're on Facebook? That's a headline right there!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    "I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro ... They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I've often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn't get no more freedom. They got less freedom."
    Is any of this an actual quote? I've never heard of the guy before but he sounds just as awful as that other Bundy guy that made the news a few years back...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The U.S. Navy announces that they believe they can turn seawater in to fuel.

This is a giant announcement, and it's entirely unsurprising that corporate media is ignoring it...sigh, I also assume it'll get legislated in to the dirt as well.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    Is any of this an actual quote? I've never heard of the guy before but he sounds just as awful as that other Bundy guy that made the news a few years back...
    Yup, word for word. Sadly, much of the left decided not to talk about this guy until the racist bullshit started.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/polit...cause-20140424

And to be fair, when you hear the full thing in context (especially in the video of him saying it) it doesn't come off QUITE as racist as the standalone quote.. but still

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    The U.S. Navy announces that they believe they can turn seawater in to fuel.

This is a giant announcement, and it's entirely unsurprising that corporate media is ignoring it...sigh, I also assume it'll get legislated in to the dirt as well.
    Pretty sure I actually saw this first via the BBC. But it's entirely possible that I remember that wrong.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    And yet, PETA's response does make sense:

PETA expressed its disagreement with the findings in a statement this week: 'PETA's shelter took in and euthanized 1,805 elderly, feral, sick, dying, aggressive, and otherwise unadoptable animals—more than 400 of whom were brought to PETA by loving but destitute guardians desperate to alleviate their beloved animals' suffering, and many others who had been turned away by local so-called "no-kill" facilities that reject unadoptable animals in order to keep their euthanasia statistics appealing.'
    [x]

Also: perspective, please. There are worthier recipients to your hate. Though I suppose dead Somali fishermen are not as cute as kittens and rabbits.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    so I've finally started watching Party Monster since this news is making the rounds. This movie... sucks. I'm not sure what the worst part is, but goddamn is the acting bad. Especially Culkin.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I still don't understand what is so important about this fellow.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I don't know where else to post this but it's awesome:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/mink-...-makeup-2014-5
    A Harvard Woman Figured Out How To 3D Print Makeup From Any Home Computer, And The Demo Is Mindblowing

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Apparently Kennedy (of 90's MTV fame) is now hosting a show on Fox Business centered around politically independent thought. She had Santorum on and trolled the fuck out of him. It was beautiful...

(jump to 2:40)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    "Would you use government to plug my hole?"

HAHAHHAHAHAHA I LOVE KENNEDY.

Ugh I can't stand Rick Santorum.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    The shit eating grin she had right after saying that... I just want to live in that feeling, forever. Fuck Santorum.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Some weird fucker shot up Santa Barbra. He is like an aspergers version of Patrick Bateman.
    Reddit's /r/cringe posted one of his videos 4 days earlier because of how damn creepy he is: http://www.reddit.com/r/cringe/comme...er_give_him_a/

His whole youtube channel is creepy https://www.youtube.com/user/ElliotR...rt=p&flow=list Just constantly talking about how he is the perfect guy but cant figure out why girls don't like him.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...elliot-rodger/
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 05-24-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Some weird fucker shot up Santa Barbra. He is like an aspergers version of Patrick Bateman.
    Reddit's /r/cringe posted one of his videos 4 days earlier because of how damn creepy he is: http://www.reddit.com/r/cringe/comme...er_give_him_a/

His whole youtube channel is creepy https://www.youtube.com/user/ElliotR...rt=p&flow=list Just constantly talking about how he is the perfect guy but cant figure out why girls don't like him.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...elliot-rodger/
    That is all over the news over here. Very sad. Obviously mentally ill.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    That is all over the news over here. Very sad. Obviously mentally ill.
    Very. He was even under active treatment for mental illness. His parents knew there were serious issues and even called the cops within the last few weeks (they evaluated him and said he was fine).

As always, it's not even been 24hrs and you have everyone trying to leverage it for their personal desires... gun rights and gun control (as always), but even people attempting to prove that this is connected to the Pick Up Artists, men's rights advocates, rape culture, etc etc. The self-serving opportunistic bullshit is just revolting.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    but even people attempting to prove that this is connected to the Pick Up Artists, men's rights advocates, rape culture, etc etc
    ...But it pretty clearly is? It's obvious he had some terrible attitudes towards women. Not all misogynists will become violent but to act like there wasn't a misogynist dimension to this crime is being wilfully ignorant. Discussion of serious and ongoing problems like misogyny and rape culture is only 'self-serving' from the angle that the entirety of humankind will be benefit from eradicating that shit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Also, though I refer this one with the caveat that it is DailyKOS and taps guilt-by-association, http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...ights-Movement

I don't think drawing the connection between him and the PUA/MRA/rape culture stuff is out of line even if it isn't exactly a smoking gun.
    Last edited by Corvus T. Cosmonaut; 05-25-2014 at 02:27 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the article
    PUAs who were not immediately connected to Rodger were quick to capitalize on the news, suggesting that if Rodger had been a more devoted PUA protégé, they could have gotten him laid and prevented violence against women. A PUA site called Strategic Dating Coach—which sells DVDs on how to “turn a conversation with a woman sexual in no time flat”—commented on one of Rodgers’ YouTube videos, where he despairs about his dating life as he films a couple kissing in Santa Barbara. “THIS is why we do what we do,” Strategic Dating Coach weighed in. “TO PREVENT THIS SHIT!!! He should have gone to our website and got our personal dating coaching or purchased one of our products. IF ANYONE NEEDS HELP, CONTACT US! Don't ‘suffer injustice.’ ”
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor..._response.html

Everything about this scenario is sad - either in the "tragic" sense or the "pathetic" sense. The former referring to anyone being so ill that this is how they respond to rejection, and the latter to the people who are screaming expletives and saying that "if he'd just hired us to coach him, no one would be dead".

This whole thing hits disturbingly close to home, as I find myself to be a good guy - who no one seems to have any interest in dating. So in that regard alone, the shooter has my sympathy. Being single when you don't want to be is tougher than a lot of people realize, especially when you're constantly surrounded by people rubbing it in your face (i.e. PDAs everywhere you turn). But let's be clear: I absolutely do not condone anything that he did, nor do I agree with even the slightest bit of "I'll show them what they're missing." If he truly was a "good guy" or whatever his exact words were - and I won't speculate on that at all since I don't know anything about him - then his reasoning that this would change his situation was so severely flawed that I can't even find the right words for it. Personally, my way of dealing with rejection is to just continue keeping to myself, working on improving myself for the benefit of my own mental and physical well being, and hoping that maybe that spills over into someone else's life someday.

What makes this story even harder to read is that it sounds like he was getting professional help. People who loved him knew that something was wrong, and an active support network was in place. But apparently it wasn't enough. And now, seven lives are over with far too soon, and dozens more have been permanently altered for the worst.
    Last edited by theimage13; 05-25-2014 at 06:47 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    His 'manifesto' is online

http://www.scribd.com/doc/225960813/...orld-manifesto

The whole PUA/Game anti PUA thing is horrible.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    ...But it pretty clearly is? It's obvious he had some terrible attitudes towards women. Not all misogynists will become violent but to act like there wasn't a misogynist dimension to this crime is being wilfully ignorant. Discussion of serious and ongoing problems like misogyny and rape culture is only 'self-serving' from the angle that the entirety of humankind will be benefit from eradicating that shit.
    Swap out "video games" or "Muslim faith" or "gun culture" into exactly what you said and it's all the same. The only commonality in all the multi public killings is that some mentally fucked up individual who held a lot of resentment for the world gravitated toward these things as a way to relieve the pain and ultimately enable/justify their actions.

No matter how much you dislike one of those things, a single person doing something like this doesn't give you reason to make it about that. PUA is gross, but it's even more gross to leverage these killings to attack it. It's no different than when assholes attack other cultures that they disagree with when past killings happened.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    How is calling out misogyny "even more gross" than misogyny itself? PUA/MRA/redpill/whateverthefuck is all based on misogyny. The video games/religion comparison doesn't work because they're extremely broad, subjective categories that have different effects (positive or negative) on different people. Misogyny is objectively harmful in any form, for any person.

Just like the white supremacist who shot up the Sikh temple was obviously motivated by racism, this guy was obviously motivated by misogyny. That's more of a 1:1 comparison.

Edit: https://medium.com/the-archipelago/1bb065f76278 puts it pretty well.