Page 90 of 182 FirstFirst ... 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 140 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 5443

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    My OTHER favorite band of all time, the Old 97s, are playing amarillo for the first time on Sept 23.

I have been begging them to come out here ever since i moved to the panhandle.
    When i saw them in denver last month, i gave them a particularly good pitch as to why they should come to amarillo.
    They've been doing it for 22 years and have never been here.

I'm so fucking excited!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    My roommates just asked me if I was really willing to keep the kitten that one of them brought home from a barn where the owner had been shooting cats to reduce their numbers. She's about 2 months old, and her name is Moot. They can't keep affording her, and they don't want to have to pay for all the pet fees at their new place.

YES, PLEASE. <333333333 Just need to get my new apartment lined up next weekend and wait this out for three more long weeks.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    The current protest at reddit.com gives me the hardest justice boner possible to men. It's like witnessing something from the history books, just in a 21st century context. It's also great to see entirely different subreddits (aka countries, if we want to continue with the history analogy) joining forces, and the difference in some of these subreddits' responses.

The bridge is burning now, I just hope it will entirely collapse on the admins. Hngggg!

(The drawback is that I can't do shit on reddit now, haha. Oh, wait, gonewild is not participating. Well then...)

Aaaaaand it's mostly over, everyone treated a protest like a revolution here.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Aaaaaand it's mostly over, everyone treated a protest like a revolution here.
    Even the biggest subreddits showed solidarity for each other and joined to fight the cause. Reddit did not go bankrupt, but the mods of those subreddits (and even their users, because some subreddit made a vote about it) essentially paralyzed the site as much as they could. I don't think you'd like to wake up, with limited water, food, no electricity and only half of the public transports available, even if it was just for 12 hours or something.

If by revolution you mean no one died and there is no new ruler at Reddit then it certainly was not it. But I'm pretty sure when the biggest subreddits (talking about ~9 million, I repeat, MILLION subscribers each - which certainly correlate, but even if they are the exact same 9 M people, they still visit both subreddits which is still invaluable traffic) show their fangs because they reached their boiling point after endless empty behind the same promises, which according to them, has been going on for years now, and in the end, the reddit admins had to come forward, and not only make another promise of improvement, but actually set dates for them, which are now transparent for everyone... well, that is pretty much as big of a revolution as it can get on reddit. There was no reason to continue with the blackout, since they got what they demanded, so as cool as it would sound that reddit is being blacked out for a whole week, it's rather counter-productive for everyone involved. And don't forget, the transparency means the admins can't fluke their promises this time. Not only it was shown that the biggest subreddits (excluding funny, which was among the first to join in on the fight, then possibly got forced open) are willing to do this, but this time, the millions of users are aware of this shit and make no mistake that they would side against the admins even more fiercly.

But my biggest justice boner comes from the fact that the people who started it all (aka the moderators of these huge-ass subreddits) are not reddit employees, they are basically volunteers who enjoy what they do in their free time, but can be terminated in an instant.

I think if we exclude the endless possibilities of a cyber-walfare, this event was rather important in the history of Internet. Not as exciting as if Reddit collapsed then slowly faded out over the next years, like it happened with oh so many huge sites before which seemed invincible, but pretty meaningful and worth analyzing how one thing led to another.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This cheers me up when Im feeling down often enough

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Team MMA:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The Oatmeal. :-)
    http://theoatmeal.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A comment from one of the children I teach when reading a book about 'living things' - 'Miss, being alive is quite good for you, isn't it?' Me: 'yes, yes it is.' Had me chuckling for days. I love my job.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    They don't lie when they say buying a car is an all day ordeal. Just got home!

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Also suck it @Sarah K <3

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    You're driving a box. I doubt anybody will be willingly sucking anything any time soon.

Fuck. I can't figure out WHY I hate it so much!

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    You're driving a box. I doubt anybody will be willingly sucking anything any time soon.

Fuck. I can't figure out WHY I hate it so much!
    Haha I think the reason why I love it so much is EXACTLY why you hate it.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    It's like those awful SOUL things or whatever they were, but like three points higher.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    It's like those awful SOUL things or whatever they were, but like three points higher.
    The soul was my second choice :'(

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    The soul was my second choice :'(
    sarah and i were actually looking at the soul, but despite having a lot of room inside and being safe, its gas mileage was about the same as my old car. so we sacrificed some cargo space, gained a ton of gas mileage, and ended up with the 2015 VW Golf.

also, did you check consumer reports? jeeps have all around the WORST safety ratings (and ratings in general). they're, like, laughably bad. i hope your car doesn't kill you (i am being genuine, by the way).

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Spent several hours replacing my cable modem, moving it into another room, moving the desktop, unraveling all the fucking cables my BF had under this desk and it all works again. Yeah me.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I have been trying to get ahold of the first season of Fargo on Blu-ray but it has been almost impossible to find in stores. I found it on Amazon for about $19 but with tax and shipping it would have been more like $27 or so.

Then I found it on Overstock.com. $18.35, no tax (wat) and free shipping. I ordered it Sunday and it's now waiting for me in my mailbox at home. Take THAT, Amazon!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    iddly workoit yea!!

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    i have those compression fractures in my back, and the meningitis/febrile seizure haze has yet to lift from my Sheap.

So we are pretty much fucking useless, what with me being physically worthless and she not hardly knowing what is going on.

Our house was REALLY fucked up and we had made plans to clean it when we got back from our vacation in denver (which is where i had the seizures and back fractures, ending that plan.)

It was overwhelming and depressing.

But yesterday, my brother and sister in law showed up from denver to surprise us. And they started busted their asses cleaning, including cleaning our filthy ass room.

This is one of the sweetest, most considerate, bad ass things anyone has ever done for me, EVER.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    my sister in law is brushing and styling my hair as i type this lollolololololol and using a blow dryer

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I almost never listen to music at home. And my phone of 2 years and prior old mp3 players have been passable to shit the entire time we've been in this fancy new digital age of ours. And I've figured "I don't have that much hard drive space. I'll stick with 320k mp3." For years. And I've used $20 panasonic earbuds.

My girlfriend gave me her Nexus 5 which she has no more use for, same day I acquired a set of Sennheisers. Figured "what the hell, let's see how FLAC sounds on these."

So this was what CDs used to sound like. I'd forgotten. So many years of mediocrity.

Re-ripping all the NIN, Pumpkins, Manson, Bauhaus, Sisters and Cure in fucking sight right fucking now

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Wow, that frog face is rather intimidating.
    @tony.parente , i for one think your new truck is dope

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I have a daily goal of submitting work to three publishers and writing a minimum of 1,000 words (in anything be it a journal entry, short story, novel project, etc.) and today I've submitted to 12 places and written 5,500 words between all the things I've worked on today. I still might do a few more submissions and write some more, I haven't felt this creatively charged in a while.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    have a day mostly off (hasn't been happening as much as usual, which is good, but i haven't had time to get things done around the house like i usually do) so i'm going out to breakfast with my mom, i'm going to get a bunch of dishes done, take a 13-mile bike ride, and then my wife and i are going out for pizza and to see our friend's play this evening. should be a good day

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I've finally got myself a couple of those menstrual cups and I'm just wondering why I didn't do this a long time ago. No more buying tampons all the time!!! Yaaaay!!! It's been fantastic.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I won a free month of yoga. I never win anything. As I lay there on the floor today, I realize the whole week has been pretty good... It so easy to dwell on what goes wrong or could go wrong. We don't spend enough time being grateful when things do go well.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Long story short, I GOT MY TAX REFUND, which led to me moving into my apartment early, so I inspected my new apartment today! Started moving in last night, but it was dark because my power couldn't be turned on until today, so I couldn't really get a good look at it! Basically a "big" studio, end of my building, and there's only one floor, so I only share a wall with one other person. It looks awesome. I have a new washer and dryer, and what looks like a new stove, too, and new carpet. And because my mom will take ANY reason to go to the new-ish IKEA, she's offering to buy me all my new furniture.

Also, while I was loading my car yesterday, a girl's dog went nuts and just LOVED me for some reason, so her owner walked over, me and her talked, and she actually lives in my building! Which would be awesome - if I wasn't moving out in two days. She gave me her number, though, and she's hella cute, so we'll see how that goes. Good-ass start to the week.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I saw someone with a trans pride sticker on their car yesterday. Yes, a very little thing but it totally cheered me up.

Oh, California.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Taking my son to the beach.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    My favorite phenomenon on ETS is this...

-Someone makes a stupid comment/post/whatever
    -I facepalm it, since we aren't allowed to be like "Brah, that's the stupidest thing I'll read today, and it's only 10:27 in the morning"
    -They then go back a month or more into my posting history to find something of mine to facepalm

It's really weird to me that people take it so personally here. But it made me smile today. <3