Thread: Controversial Cinema-Related Opinions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S. Chonson View Post
    Batman Begins is the best Batman movie ever made.
    Batman Returns is the best Batman movie! Nolan can be as realistic and gritty as possible, he will never match the darkness of this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    I'm a fan of the entire franchise and hate the theme song as much as anyone, but Star Trek: Enterprise is the best TV series of the bunch, imho.
    Wow, this certainly is controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I dislike pretty much everything David Lynch has done. From miniature old people, to "The Wizard of Oz" metaphors: Another guy who seems like he merely wants to be weird for its own sake.
    Lynch is never weird for its own sake! Not that this is a bad thing, I like Wes Anderson very much.

Also, A Clockwork Orange is a despicable movie and unnecessarily tacky... "Oh, he slays her with a penis statue, get it?....Get it?"

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    Batman Returns is the best Batman movie! Nolan can be as realistic and gritty as possible, he will never match the darkness of this movie.
    Personally, I really don't like Returns at all. Batman is a two-dimensional guest star in his own film, the portrayal of Penguin is just plain hard to watch (not necessarily condemning Danny DeVito's performance - it's the way he eats fish more than anything else...) yet dominates most of the movie, and it's three waterskied metres over a great white on the silliness scale. Generally speaking, in my opinion it's more of a Tim Burton film than a Batman one... that's not a terribly controversial viewpoint though from what I've heard.
    One thing I'll laud that film for though is the portrayal of Catwoman, and the dynamic between her and Bruce. Pfeiffer is incredible (screw Nicholson, she gives the finest pre-Nolan series performance as far as I'm concerned), and there's a real tension and chemistry between the two.

What I love about Begins is that it's a film about Bruce Wayne, it's not dominated by the colourful rogues gallery. Batman's at its best when the focus is on the titular character in my opinion.

Anyway, on topic, I think Revenge Of The Sith is the best Star Wars movie. Serpentine plotting with massive pay-offs, some of the series' strongest emotional elements, and great lightsaber fights. Jaw-dropping opening sequence too, especially in the cinema. As much as Empire Strikes Back has going for it, like the rest of the original trilogy it's always felt rather slow and a bit of a chore. To me, at least...

And just to round out the controversy, in my opinion Brosnan's the best Bond, Tree Of Life's the best Malick film and highlight of 2011, and I thought Daredevil was fairly decent. Yeah, I said it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Personally, I really don't like Returns at all. Batman is a two-dimensional guest star in his own film, the portrayal of Penguin is just plain hard to watch (not necessarily condemning Danny DeVito's performance - it's the way he eats fish more than anything else...) yet dominates most of the movie, and it's three waterskied metres over a great white on the silliness scale. Generally speaking, in my opinion it's more of a Tim Burton film than a Batman one... that's not a terribly controversial viewpoint though from what I've heard.
    One thing I'll laud that film for though is the portrayal of Catwoman, and the dynamic between her and Bruce. Pfeiffer is incredible (screw Nicholson, she gives the finest pre-Nolan series performance as far as I'm concerned), and there's a real tension and chemistry between the two.
    A lot of people would argue that Returns is more about the Batman character as the two villains act as cyphers for him.

With Penguin being the alternative outcome to the rich orphan and Catwoman being the alternate outcome to the masked vigilante. They act in exploring where Bruce Wayne draws the line in becoming Batman and where he could and can go wrong.

Also using the "it's more of a Tim Burton film than a Batman one" as any kind of argument against those movies seems to me outrageously ridiculous when you consider Nolan made Batman films so much Nolan films that he couldn't include the range of Batman's exceptionally strong rogues gallery.