Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    My son is in pre-K and the family of one of his classmates canceled their daughter's birthday party scheduled for this Sunday because of the virus scare. They are Chinese Americans and had invited many other families of Chinese decent. The email said none of the invited guests had recently traveled nor have they had visitors but they were canceling out of an abundance of caution. I hate to think they canceled because some sort of perceived stigma...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    My son is in pre-K and the family of one of his classmates canceled their daughter's birthday party scheduled for this Sunday because of the virus scare. They are Chinese Americans and had invited many other families of Chinese decent. The email said none of the invited guests had recently traveled nor have they had visitors but they were canceling out of an abundance of caution. I hate to think they canceled because some sort of perceived stigma...
    I definitely think there's a degree of stigma, but depending on the full circumstances, it may actually just be an extreme abundance of caution. Say you're on the west coast: it's not uncommon for Chinese Americans to spend time (going out to eat, for example) in places that are run by other Chinese Americans, and thus likely popular spots for Chinese tourists to visit. Part of the problem of the Coronavirus is that it's highly contagious. Now, throw in the fact that you're inviting these guests over to a party for a very small child with an extremely weak immune system, and couple that with general parental paranoia about anything bad happening to your darling child, and I can see how this becomes a thing that happens.

On the other hand, one of the people on my weekly trivia team is Chinese American, and I'm not about to stop going just because of his heritage. But so help me if ANYONE on that team has so much as a cold, then screw it, I'll see you next week instead.

Also, I get to work insanely long, stress-filled hours and bounce through six major airports over the next two weeks. Fuck. I was hoping to get a little further out of cold & flu season before I had to start going to those places again.