Thread: Lil Nas X samples 34 Ghosts IV - Old Town Road

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Go back to my original post. I went out of my way to try and be generous and give the benefit of the doubt by pointing out how many people have unconscious racial bias and how that can cause us to treat two people doing similar things very differently based on who is doing it.

That you got so upset and took it so personally, instead of just self/reflecting and deciding it didn’t apply to you, says to me that you are exactly the person who needs to take it personally.

If the last NIN concert I went to is any indication, this is a mostly white forum. If things are ever going to change for people of color and how they are treated, we have to unpack our biases. Bias isnt harmless. It causes people to pass over people for jobs, treat school children differently, call the cops on innocent people not doing anything wrong but taking a walk.

I’m not going to apologize for bringing up the possibility in this discussion that maybe the reason why we think it is okay for Trent Reznor to sample and not Little Nas X could possibly be related to bias, because what else is that different about two people directly sampling other music here?

If you don’t feel like it applies to you, then good for you. But your response indicates otherwise. The guilty flee even when no one is chasing them.
    Has it ever crossed your oh my god so advanced mind that maybe black people simply don't like NIN that much? lol

In my opinion, seeing racism in basically everything is worse for the cause than treating the real cases of racism with the proper punishment and ignoring the rest (which is a bunch of animalistic semi-humans acting stupid). Feel free to disagree, to say I have no idea what I'm talking about, whatever, say it, get it off your chest! I am against any censorhip (not the case for some people here).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    Has it ever crossed your oh my god so advanced mind that maybe black people simply don't like NIN that much? lol

In my opinion, seeing racism in basically everything is worse for the cause than treating the real cases of racism with the proper punishment and ignoring the rest (which is a bunch of animalistic semi-humans acting stupid). Feel free to disagree, to say I have no idea what I'm talking about, whatever, say it, get it off your chest! I am against any censorhip (not the case for some people here).
    First, Max wasn't talking to you. It's not all about you, ricardo.

Second, Max has made several good points and has been way more poignant than I could be when discussing this topic and others in the past about diversity at NIN shows and now this one since (what I assume are) a majority of likely white users have been extra critical of this sample due to unconscious bias because Lil Nas X is black. He's trying to encourage conversation and examination while you're trying to poke hornets nests. You also went after him about his concert experience last Fall, so there's something to think about there.

Third, no one has censored you. Your posts and opinions are all out here for everyone to see, unfortunately.

What are you contributing to this board other than hostility and aggression?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    I definitely like NIN.