Thread: NIN Spotting 2019

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I've never read any of this everywhere, and the fact that he's saying that the very clearly unfinished version labeled "demo" was supposed to be the album version leads me to believe that it's untrue, or at least mixing up several stories.
    First, I never said that the DEMO was the version that was the originally intended album version. What I said was, and I quote myself, "possibly." Here is my reasoning for this belief: The earliest Down In It version we know of is from the "Purest Feeling" demos, where it appears with an extended outro. Then there were the 2 versions on a cassette that was mailed out to solicit in the early days (both versions appear on the "demos and remixes" boot). These appear to be a more polished DII, along with what appear to be a remix or alternate version. None of these early version have the final vocals as appear on the album. Besides those early versions, the only other version we all know about is this so-called DEMO. What's interesting is that his vocals are the final version exactly as it appears on PHM. Which leads me to theorize that this "Demo" is exactly what was remixed and became the 12" single released before PHM. In turn, the "single edit" of the remix, became the official album version, and this last part is 100% accurate.
    So to sum it up: There was a version of Down In It with identical vocals to the remixes that was meant to go on Pretty Hate Machine. This track was given to the remixers which came up with an extended remix, a shorted edit (sometimes called 7" edit), and a dub version. After these 3 remixes came back, it was decided that the remix edit would go on PHM instead of the intended version. So far all this is FACT.
    Now about the DEMO version on the Head Like A Hole CD single: This version has identical vocals to the final album version, and it could have been exactly as was given to the remixers. I'm asuming, because everything matches up, but I do not know that for sure. The fact that it was labeled a Demo does not mean much. First of all, Trent is not the most explanatory when labeling tracks on singles, but most importantly, I can see how he would consider this a demo to the version that ended up on the album. This "demo" was just kinda thrown out as a CD single exclusive, and not even included on the original Down In It 12" possibly because it was going to be on the album. But, yes, it's very possible that there is yet Another version that was meant for the album, but we know that the vocals would have been identical to the "demo."
    Hope that helps explain. I've been a Trent Reznor music collector since the early 90s. I believe I may have one of the largest NIN music collection of domestic releases in the U.S. My intent is not to start any rumors, but to uncover rare information on the history of NIN music. There is still much info I would love to discover: Any info on the Trent-mentioned 12" that was supposed to have Physical and Suck before it ended up as Broken extras, tracks such as A Violent Fluid and March of the F***heads, where they TDS outtakes? Remixes of TDS tracks? Same thing with the Aphex Twin tracks on Further Down the Spiral, even though I suspect not a note of NIN was used to make those tracks. I remember Richard (Aphex Twin) mentioned that he had never heard NIN music when making these, and so on........

PS: I would love to write a book on the history of NIN music specifically. An official one, with Trent's contribution would be even better!
    Last edited by atomobile; 07-16-2019 at 05:56 PM.