Page 146 of 264 FirstFirst ... 46 96 136 144 145 146 147 148 156 196 246 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,380 of 7892

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by helpmeiaminhell View Post
    people like things that i don't like and are therefore wrong.
    ftfy

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Agreed...a whole lot of 'I expect' in that post lol.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    oh praise yeezus, we can have a critical discussion of Tool here, unlike r/toolband

so let's start with the good, I personally like the new tunes and I'll (probably) spend money to see them again but for fucks sake...

2 new songs in a 10 song rotation, and 1 "old" song that they put back into the rotation about 9 years ago is enough to make Tool fans excited, the bar is that low. Otherwise, while I still love the other 7 songs in the set, what the fuck guys? It's kind of a let down especially after NIN's amazing 2018 setlists. They played a whopping 75 minutes yesterday, which I suppose is fine for a festival, but do any of us actually expect them to do a longer set during a proper tour? Add a 5 minute intermission and Stinkfist (extended) and they're up to 1:30 instead of 1:15, which is about their setlist length these days. Tool is a band that NEEDS a 2 hour set.

I would agree with the above poster that auto-pilot Tool is better than no Tool, but fuck. I feel like an addict trying to chase the dragon.
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 05-06-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    If NIN had not released ANYTHING for 12 or 13 years, you can be sure as shit that everyone here would be gushing just as much over two new songs, if not more so. Just sayin'. A NIN comparison isn't a great one to make here because they've actually been rather prolific in the past dozen (or baker's dozen) years.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    If NIN had not released ANYTHING for 12 or 13 years, you can be sure as shit that everyone here would be gushing just as much over two new songs, if not more so. Just sayin'. A NIN comparison isn't a great one to make here because they've actually been rather prolific in the past dozen (or baker's dozen) years.
    That's not really the gripe though - the core issue is it's the same old setlist they've been running for the past decade even though their catalog is so deep. C'mon guys, if MJK's vocals are busted then just play D/R/T, Merkaba, and some jams. Hell, Lateralus (extended) can take up 20 minutes by itself.

And by "same old setlist" I mean "take last years setlist, remove one song, add another one".
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 05-06-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Here's a decent shot of what Maynard looked like up close last night.

Hahaha Wow ISN'T MAYNARD FUNNY? what a ZAAAAAAANY look! WHAT A CLOWN PRINCE! Helps me swallow the fact that they're a legendary act in the genre that's been around for almost 30 years & we get ten songs (kinda) with a bullshit intermission for 80 minutes total at best (oooooh but if you're lucky at their actual headlining arena shows this tour maybe you'll get 90 minutes!) when their contemporaries give over two hours a night most of the time! Tool ladies & gentlemen! Now go buy some wine & try to make out Maynard's wacky new mohawk in the pitch black at the back of the stage!
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 05-06-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Interesting to hear the above set list complaints. I think Tool is the one band where I really don't care what they play live; I'm just glad to be there. NIN is my favorite band of all time, but there are a good 8-10 songs where hearing the first few notes at a show makes me sigh and wait patiently for it to be over, but I don't really have that with Tool.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Interesting to hear the above set list complaints. I think Tool is the one band where I really don't care what they play live; I'm just glad to be there. NIN is my favorite band of all time, but there are a good 8-10 songs where hearing the first few notes at a show makes me sigh and wait patiently for it to be over, but I don't really have that with Tool.
    The feeling is not "I don't like these songs / I'm over these songs". It's that they have so many good songs in their catalog that haven't been played. They broke all our hearts with the 1-off Eulogy last year.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I have somehow managed to go my whole life without hearing a Tool song. I got a friend to buy me Lateralus s few years ago because i really liked Maynards voice on the Potions song. But just never got around to putting it on my computer. I feel like it's time now but the way I tend to listen to new music is on my Sonos speakers via Spotify = is there any chance this new album means they will cut a deal to get their back catalogue on streaming services? I heard they had a terrible deal that denied them rights to digital plays, has this been resolved please?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I have somehow managed to go my whole life without hearing a Tool song. I got a friend to buy me Lateralus s few years ago because i really liked Maynards voice on the Potions song. But just never got around to putting it on my computer. I feel like it's time now but the way I tend to listen to new music is on my Sonos speakers via Spotify = is there any chance this new album means they will cut a deal to get their back catalogue on streaming services? I heard they had a terrible deal that denied them rights to digital plays, has this been resolved please?
    I'd be shocked if Tool's catalog doesn't show up on streaming services when the new one does.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I'd be shocked if Tool's catalog doesn't show up on streaming services when the new one does.
    Pretty sure I heard that was the plan in an interview with one of the members. It's been a minute since I saw it though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tool Archive did a nice video of Descending.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I mean Maynard could release an hour of music of him banging pots and pans and whistling and Tool fanboys will claim its the second coming of christ...There are people here trying to claim the shitbomb known as APCs last album is an unheralded masterpiece......This sounds like Tool on autopilot...basically EXACTLY what I expected of a singer in his mid 50s that hasn't released an album with this band in 13 years.....I expect this album to sound like 10,000 Days B sides and I also expect Tool fanboys to lap it up and claim how brilliant it is....
    It’s perfectly ok to like something without having to put it into masterpiece category. Just saying.

Next time you decide to take a shit in a band’s thread regarding new music, Tool or otherwise, at least maybe wait until the new music is actually out.

I remember how excited I was for HM after hearing Copy of a live and hinting that it was kinda/sorta a sequel to TDS. Didn’t turn out the way I planned lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Invincible rocks , is a fantastic song

Maybe in my top 5 with
    1)Aenima
    2)Wings For Marie I & II
    3)Sober
    4)Invincible
    5)Vicarious

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    From the 7 minute mark and on, Invincible is some of the best Tool material I've heard. Mix between Lateralus and 10,000 for me.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    From the 7 minute mark and on, Invincible is some of the best Tool material I've heard. Mix between Lateralus and 10,000 for me.
    Invincible sounds like exactly the kinda song I need in my life right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    I can feel you guys on the "getting too old for this shit" vibe, and, having a harder time getting into music.

But, I gotta say: Descending was EXACTLY what I expected and wanted from this record. i got goosebumps. And no, I'm not one of those "MJK is Jesus" fanboys.

As far as tool's music needing time to grow on you, I'm sure I've said this here before, but, I didn't like Aenima like, AT ALL, for about six months, because it didn't sound like Undertow or Opiate. But, now, I think it's one of the greatest albums of all time. (Just a thought.)

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Descending has some outstanding vocal moments. Could hear a bit of The Grudge in there around the 8 minute mark. Loved the visuals with that face thing appearing in the pyramid.

Invicible’s vocals, while more subdued, are extremely poignant, reminding me of latter-day Isis lyrics with the warrior and time motif. Also had a little bit of a Jambi-like riff going on there that got sexily heavier as it progressed.

In all, extremely excited!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Anybody else not listening until there's a studio release?

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I'll be doing plenty of listening to these tracks, after next weekend...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Si.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    man, idk.
    I had to check it out.
    The recording, obviously, isn't great. I damn sure don't know what the words are.

But I don't feel like a sneak peak will cheapen the experience of hearing the record.

I DID stop the second song partway through. But, I've loved the bits of Descending that we've heard, so fucking much, that I just couldn't help myself.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Listened to better quality versions of the songs again. I still like Descending better than Invincible. I think this was already mentioned above, but I am hearing a lot of "the Grudge" in descending. Especially near the end.

I think my biggest gripe with these songs are the lack of vocals. The music is good and all, but I really want more vocals in my tool songs. I appreciate the chemistry these guys have together, they are all fantastic musicians to be able to play 10-12 min songs like that, but at the end of the day, I like lyrics with my music. I hope there are songs with more lyrics in them on the record. I think that's the only thing missing. If these songs had more vocals they would be awesome.

EDIT: For curiosity sake, I jumped to the first page in this thread to see what people were talking about in 2011 when this thread was opened...
    It's pretty funny seeing everyone complain that it's been an excruciatingly long 5 years since 10k days and all the rumors of "maybe it'll come out in 2012"
    hahahahha.... if our past selves only knew. If someone from the future popped in and told us it was going to be a total of 13 years for a new record, I wonder what we would have said.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 05-07-2019 at 03:37 AM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    man, idk.
    I had to check it out.
    The recording, obviously, isn't great. I damn sure don't know what the words are.
    Spoiler: "Invincible" Lyrics
    Longing tooth and soul
    Longing for another win
    Merge into the (frame/fray)
    Weapon out and bellied in
    A warrior, struggling to remain, consequential
    Go around
    Bold and proud
    Where I've been?
    Here I am

Beating chest and drum
    Beating tired bones again
    Age-old battle, mine
    Weapon out and bellied in

Tales told of battles won
    Of things we've done
    Come give your love, again

Beating tired bones tripping through, remember when?
    Once invincible, now the armors wearing thin, heavy shield down

Warrior, struggling, to remain, relevant
    Warrior, struggling, to remain, consequential
    Cry aloud, bold and proud
    Where I've been
    Here I am
    Where I am

Warrior, struggling to remain, relevant
    Warrior, struggling to remain, consequential

A tear in my eyes, chasing Ponce de Leons fountain sword
    Filled with (holes/hope), I can taste mythical
    Sultans false hope, perhaps, but the truth never got in my way
    Before now, feel the sting, feeling time, bearing down

In my eyes, chasing Ponce de Leons fountain sword
    Filled with (holes/hope), I can taste mythical
    Sultans false hope, perhaps, but the truth never got in my way
    Before now, feel the sting, feeling time, bearing down

False hope, perhaps, but the truth never got in my way
    Before now, feel the sting, feeling time bearing down

Bearing down

>>

"Descending" Lyrics [Incomplete]

To be or not to be.
    Rise. Steal the grand finale
    Steal the meaning of our swan song and epilogue.
    One. Try. To. Stay. Alive.
    Never meant to be.
    Muster every fiber.

???

Stay alive.
    Steer us from our
    Walking slumber

???

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Here is a slightly better video of Descending: (the intro in the beginning is cut but there is no conversation from the crowds)

Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    I think you guys are jumping the gun... you're listening to cell phone recordings of a live performance, and you're listening on a cell phone.

Listen to the studio recording

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I can't get enough of these new songs. Tool at its finest !

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is the clearest capture of Invincible I've heard.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Take this for what it’s worth, but the site owner for Fourtheye is expecting the announcement for the album tonight. We shall see:

http://fourtheye.net/f/viewtopic.php...106758#p106744
    Last edited by Krazy; 05-07-2019 at 08:24 PM.