Thread: Europe lurches to the Right

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    It was founded in 1957. Britain joined in 1973.

Nah, this is bigger. Europeans don't give a flying fuck about NATO in general - a good part of the continent isn't in it. Methinks you're seeing this through American eyes.
    I guess I was talking about this.

In 1973, it was known as the European Economic Community.

Membership applications by the UK to join the EEC were refused in 1963 and 1967 because the French President of the time Charles de Gaulle doubted the UK's political will.

It is understood, however, his real fear was that English would suddenly become the common language of the community.
    LOL

So it's been a true benefit, overall, to Britain, since 1973?

I know here in the U.S., voters are pushing to get OUT of a whole bunch of trade union agreements. I guess the same thing. This sort of "us vs. them" crap.

Now this shit is kicking our stock market's ass (but of course every time somebody farts, it affects our stock market).

Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Nah, this is bigger. Europeans don't give a flying fuck about NATO in general - a good part of the continent isn't in it. Methinks you're seeing this through American eyes.
    Actually, heh, Americans don't like NATO, either, heh. We think we funnel way too much fucking money into it.

You are quite certainly still in NATO, though.

I'm not looking at this from a "voter's" view but from the "world" view, e.g. how to world leaders see it, or from an economic standpoint, or credit ratings and all that shit. Is this going to make things a lot worse?
    Last edited by allegro; 06-24-2016 at 06:36 PM.