Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Hot Chili Peppers

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    OHM is my favorite. Was kind of disappointed to see them revert back to the old sound, which hasn't changed much since.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I actually find myself enjoying Californication more than OHM.
    Their releases after Californication have some stand out tracks but overall sound quite predictable. Still good music though.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    John left the band in 2008 as he wanted to do different things yet his departure was on amicable terms instead of what happened in 1992.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Cool to see some OHM appreciation. It's one of my favorite records from the Chili Peppers and it's really a bummer that the band ( mostly Frusciante, as Kiedis autobiography says ) ignore the songs in it. Warped, Shallow Be Thy Game and even that silly Aeroplane are great. Dave Navarro worked wonders in there.

In fact, I used to be a huge Peppers fan but I feel like they lost something over the last years. They seem old, tired, sometimes not too excited to play their own songs.

I first got into the band in the early 90's, a little before Blood Sugar Sex Magik came out - Mother's Milk was a defining rock record for me, as it made me go after Jane's Addiction, Living Colour and lots of the 90's early alternative bands. Against the grain, I got a little disappointed with Californication ( it's way too mellow and the recording sounds way too shitty ) and really liked By The Way - still mellow, but sounded way better, more personal and, mostly, with Kiedis actually singing! Stadium Arcadium is great, though somestimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better as a single record, since some great songs are lost in the middle of weak ones. It's a good effort thought, worth of all the praise the band finallly got from critics. I didn't like the last record, sounded tired and bored - pretty much like the band's concerts nowadays.

Still, the Peppers are freaking huge here in Brazil, U2 level - they sold out stadiums whenever they come down here and their songs are always, always playing on radio.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I think they've gotten too comfortable and don't really care. To me, it's been the same stuff since 99. A few minor changes, but nothing major to their core sound and direction. I enjoy By The Way a whole lot more than Californication. Stadium Arcadium drags on and probably would've worked better as a single album. I'm With You just treads the same ground but with a different guitarist. Great album though. I would just like to see them venture out and try some new things. Maybe even a new producer.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I would just like to see them venture out and try some new things. Maybe even a new producer.

You mean a guy who doesn't lie on the couch all day giving cryptic advice on par with a Chinese fortune cookie?

OHM was their "experimental" record that is the furthest they will ever stray from their sound. After being around for so long and having been so successful I do not see them doing anything different than that what they are known for.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    For anyone interested:

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Is there a term for something so totally expected that it finds a new gear of unsurprising to shift into?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I read that a few days ago. Someone in the comments also had a bad experience with the Chili Peppers in a similar manner. Yet, what was more shocking in that comment was that she also talked about doing something with Motley Crue at the same time when they were at their most debauched yet they were actually more gentlemen-like in comparison to the Peppers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I read that a few days ago. Someone in the comments also had a bad experience with the Chili Peppers in a similar manner. Yet, what was more shocking in that comment was that she also talked about doing something with Motley Crue at the same time when they were at their most debauched yet they were actually more gentlemen-like in comparison to the Peppers.
    Fuck the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I must say this: although their behavior cannot be excused, when people don't know what they're doing is wrong, they'll simply do it. If once someone knows something is wrong and they continue to do it (not just in the short term), then this person is a fuck who deserves to be trashed and punished. I'm currently reading up on feminism and trying to get my behavior right. Ignorance can no longer be an excuse.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This is interesting. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are innocent.

Yikes...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The new single aint too bad

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i couldnt even make it to the end of that track... I guess some people enjoy them still, good for them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I absolutely love this new song!!! But I only listen to Californication and after.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's good. Seems like they keep making the same album since 99 though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I thought it wasn't special, but after a couple of listens, it's really great.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    Is there a term for something so totally expected that it finds a new gear of unsurprising to shift into?
    As a person with a penis who has never even thought about doing what was described in that article (which was, sadly, relatively tame), I can honestly say that I'm still surprised every time I read about some ass clown being a complete disgrace to their entire species.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I like it less than the previous two.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/red...k-necessities/

nice to see scenes with Josh

new record out today as well!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Goodbye Angels is a pretty good tune. Into 7 tracks and enjoying the new one. Nothing groundbreaking but we have come to expect that from RHCP

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It's not the best, but it has some good stuff. I just feel all chorus aren't impressive.

Getaway, Dark Necessities, Goodbye Angel, Go Robot, Encore and Dreams of a Samurai are quite good. I think everyone will be able to find something interesting.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Only heard the first four tracks but I like it so far. Lack of Rubin makes a huge difference. Good riddance.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    two of my friends (among other CoS writers) ranked every single RHCP song from worst to best. it's a long but often entertaining read.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    mandatory ets ranking time

1. Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    2. Californication
    3. Mother's Milk
    4. One Hot Minute
    5. I'm With You
    6. The Getaway
    7. Freaky Styley
    8. By the Way
    9. Stadium Arcadium
    10. The Uplift Mofo Party Plan
    11. The Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Last edited by LaneSax; 06-23-2016 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've heard good things about the new album. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised as I didn't really like the last one.