Page 9 of 84 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Ever study the Dada movement? Maybe it's a big fuck you to album cover art. You know, like Fountain by Duchamp was anti-art. Like the White Album. (Or "Smell the Glove.")Speaking of visual arts, I like the odd visuals in the video.
    I've never seen it done. I respect the choice from such a watershed artist. Its so grating. No cover has bothered me so. Tis actually shocking artwork. And thats coming from ole densenstized me. So amen to that. I cant wait to see it on vinyl. Duncan directed the vid! Good to see their first public collabortion.Props to ya for the smell the glove ref!

(Writ on a bus)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

David Bowie

The cover really pops in a gallery of postage sized pics... Such as an amazon search for "David Bowie". Sadly that's the way most folks see the stuff now.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I was actually going to say that the new song sounds vaguely similar in some segments to the "chubby little loser" bits
    The goddamned irony is Bowie probably can compose awesome songs this easily, the bastard...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hope he does another album like earthling, but as the modern equivalent is dubstep, do it with skrillex.

that would be 'cool'.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    please facepalm the post above for me

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    please facepalm the post above for me
    Your wish is my command.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like SOME people can't handle the WUB.

Anyway, no live shows to promote the album, but rumours of Bowie doing a DJ set dropping noisia, nero and excision remain undenied.

http://www.nme.com/news/david-bowie/68126

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthebear View Post
    Hope he does another album like earthling, but as the modern equivalent is dubstep, do it with skrillex.

that would be 'cool'.
    Speaking of Earthling, am I the only person that likes that album?

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    i think Outside has much better-written material from his electronic period. i enjoy nearly every song on it, while the majority of Earthling just... irritates me.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

David Bowie

Nope, I loved this album when it first came out and I still love it. Now if it would get the repress treatment that OUTSIDE received last year I would be a happy man!

If you haven't already, pick up the 2012 repress of OUTSIDE. Sadly it's excerpts from the album, but it sounds amazingly warm and fresh. At $28, I feel it's money well spent!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    Looks Like Pitchfork Made That Up

Also, Visconti said there are no guests on the album, meaning anyone hoping that Trent would make an appearance will (once again) be disappointed.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Earl Slick, the long-term guitarist for David Bowie, has said the legend’s live band ‘would love’ to go back out on the road, but admits that possibility remains remote and the present time despite the confirmation of a new album and single this week. “We don’t know,” Slick has told Ultimate Classic Rock of Bowie’s live plans. “Obviously, we want him to. But right now, that’s a big if. I could get a phone call tomorrow saying, ‘Hey, you know what? Here’s the setlist.’ I don’t know.”
    “I can’t speak for him or the organisation. Obviously, the band would love to go out. Even if it’s not a huge tour, we would like to go out and do some gigs. But that’s yet to be seen.”
    David Bowie’s new album ‘The Next Day‘ arrived out of the blue earlier this week, and will be released officially on March 11th. Speaking of the record, Slick has echoed the thoughts of producer Tony Visconti by describing it as having a rock theme:
    “There’s a lot of rockers on there, I can tell you that,” he continued. “There’s a few kind of really cool mid-tempo ones in there as well, but I’m the go-to guy for the rock stuff with David.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post

Dear god...I've waited oh so long for this. I snagged it as soon as I got home from work. Mahalo to you, good sir, for telling of this repressing. I don't know how this slipped by me. Outside was the album that dragged me kicking and screaming into the Bowie Discography. I should note that I do have the Heart's Filthy Lesson 12" picture disc which is oh so pretty to look at.

I still have to get that Heathen LP reissue though..
    Last edited by uroboros; 01-12-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    So here we go, I'm hooked and I think now is the perfect time to get into Bowie completely. I pretty much have every release on the shelf, but never took the time to proplery explore his world. The only records I really got into where heathen and reality back when they were released. And of course I know the stuff from the outside tour with NIN aswell.

I'm not too fond of the new track, but I'm glad he's back. Any recommendations where to start?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: David Bowie

Just about any album he has could be a good starting point since they're so different from one another. My personal favorites, though, are Heroes and Low. I avoid his 80s stuff, and I'm probably in a minority. But the thing about Bowie is how well he's able to adapt to the times and the things around him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Any recommendations where to start?
    The Best Bowie Eras:

1974 - 1980: Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Lodger, Scary Monsters
    1993 - 2013: The Buddha of Suburbia, Outside, Earthling, Hours, Toy, Heathen, Reality, The Next Day

There's a fantastic start for ya. Station to Station and Outside are great places to start. Lodger and hours are weaker albums IMO of those periods, but the rest of it is pretty flawless. I'm guessing the new album will be the same. Of course there's the Early stuff and the Ziggy period, which are essential too, but, artistically, the above are his best periods. Most of his 80s stuff has been denounced even though Let's Dance is alright for what it is. Then there's Tin Machine which did what it had to do. Its a freakin' massive discography. It'll take years to fully comprehend it. Good Luck and kudos for giving it a go!
    Last edited by uroboros; 01-12-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfAtom View Post
    This says the single is an iTunes exclusive, it isn't clear about the album.
    Wow...totally did not read that correctly. Thanks for pointing that out haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uroboros View Post
    The Best Bowie Eras:

1974 - 1980: Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Lodger, Scary Monsters
    1993 - 2013: The Buddha of Suburbia, Outside, Earthling, Hours, Toy, Heathen, Reality, The Next Day

There's a fantastic start for ya. Station to Station and Outside are great places to start. Lodger and hours are weaker albums IMO of those periods, but the rest of it is pretty flawless. I'm guessing the new album will be the same. Of course there's the Early stuff and the Ziggy period, which are essential too, but, artistically, the above are his best periods. Most of his 80s stuff has been denounced even though Let's Dance is alright for what it is. Then there's Tin Machine which did what it had to do. Its a freakin' massive discography. It'll take years to fully comprehend it. Good Luck and kudos for giving it a go!
    Here's hoping the album is a mix of Outside and Station to Station!!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uroboros View Post
    The Best Bowie Eras:

I think that's good prognosis, but I really don't think you can sell short Ziggy -- fantastic album, it catapulted Bowie to fame for a reason. Great starting point if you're not one of those people instinctively turned off by older music. The remaster last year was great too.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    That was the album that me fall in love with Bowie! Fantastic songs spiced up with jungle and electronics, it was -and still is- a goddamn-near-flawless record.

Not sure if it was posted here before, but Spin has a great collection of interview snippets from Tony Visconti on the new album:

http://www.spin.com/articles/david-b...n=spinfacebook

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Station to Station a good starting point? Great LP but a bit challenging in some places...Ziggy is blatantly the entry level Bowie album, follow that up with the Berlin albums to see his evolutionary leap

Also (maybe this belongs in the controversial opinions thread) The Idiot and Lust for Life by Iggy Pop are more or less Bowie side projects (co-wrote, produced and played on every single song, plays selected songs live as recently as 2004)... I'd rate them as amongst the best he's worked on

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Copy-and-pasting some news that made me almost spill my coffee:

Tony Visconti’s saying in today’s round of interviews that there’s enough material for two albums! From The Times:

“The two have created 29 songs together of late, making a second album almost inevitable. “We’re not going to give up on the songs that haven’t made this one,” Visconti says.
    “We’re going to go back and look at them because they’re spectacular musical pieces, they just haven’t been finished lyrically. I think he’s on a roll, and will possibly return to the studio later this year. If people don’t like this album then maybe he won’t, but it doesn’t matter to him. He told me what he wants to do is make records.”
    Also, I just spent almost two hours simply surfing though the albums, checking up a few notes from each songs (which obviously led to listening a lot of songs in full). The next two months looks like perfect timing to go retrospectively though the whole catalogue, which I'm starting to do as I write.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Station to Station a good starting point? Great LP but a bit challenging in some places...Ziggy is blatantly the entry level Bowie album, follow that up with the Berlin albums to see his evolutionary leap

Also (maybe this belongs in the controversial opinions thread) The Idiot and Lust for Life by Iggy Pop are more or less Bowie side projects (co-wrote, produced and played on every single song, plays selected songs live as recently as 2004)... I'd rate them as amongst the best he's worked on

gonna sound bizarre, as a staunch berlin-era supporter (heroes is my all time favorite album) and die hard station to station fan, but i agree with this. start with the simple, catchy, timeless glam rock that made the man famous (they really are amazing songs- life on mars, rock n roll suicide, panic in detroit etc. are golden), and also listen to roxy music if you want more of that vibe. station to station through and including scary monsters is the best era for me, but not something to dive into without getting the full ride of the progression, and the satisfaction that comes along with it. if you want to get fancy, just go chronological... if you want to get hardcore, do so while reading the pushing ahead of the dame blog which tells a very lengthy tale about each song, with interpretation and careful consideration to detail...

and the iggy pop stuff is amazing, but the same rules apply, as these records were made in the same era, and the idiot is notoriously dark and difficult (but fucking brilliant).
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 01-12-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    and for the already berlin converted... this may sound familiar:

great story on the song this inspired on aforementioned blog.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

David Bowie

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Hahaha as an Iggy fan since I was a kid in the early-70s in Detroit, I think of those albums as classic Iggy (ESPECIALLY Lust for Life) with Bowie helping out an old friend.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-13-2013 at 12:37 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

David Bowie

I think a good Bowie starting point is Hunky Dory.

My personal intro to Bowie, meaning when I finally started paying attention, was when "David Live: David Bowie at the Tower Philadelphia" was released and we used to be able to play records in the school lunchroom and somehow that album got played every day during lunch (over the lunch room PA) for months. My best friend Robert put Sun-In in his hair to look like Bowie.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-13-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Hahaha as an Iggy fan since I was a kid in the early-70s in Detroit, I think of those albums as classic Iggy (ESPECIALLY Lust for Life) with Bowie helping out an old friend.
    Neighbourhood Threat is a contender for my all-time favourite song... I love the chorus of ghostly Bowies in the background

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

David Bowie

yeah, that's a great song!!

My favorite Bowie background-singing-on-an-Iggy-song is "Turn Blue." Second fave is "Success."
    Last edited by allegro; 01-13-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm super excited about the new album! Where are we now? didn't strike me immediately but the more I'm listening to it I'm enjoying the nuances to Bowie's voice and the simple but powerful instrumentation, the strings are fantastic! Plus this song is produced very nicely I believe.