Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: NIN spotting 2020

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I don't know why anyone would worry about what Billy Corgan thinks. Only a pussy would go by the diminutive version of their name. He's not William, he's little "Billy." Imagine if Michael Trent Reznor went by Mickey Reznor? Also, that's what happens when you think you are the best, and you see your peers winning Academy Awards, Emmy's, etc. Just a jealous little bitch trying to make the scene...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    Wow thanks for diving in and making that available, if only to further illustrate what a couple of dicks they are!

Extremely accurate. When The Hand That Feeds came out I remember people on here making note of his dismissive reaction and when Hesitation Marks came out he stumbled across it and talked about how good he thought it was, but mostly talked about how he missed skinny tortured goth Trent and how Trent's current appearance, which if I recall correctly he compared to Bane, was not as good a rock star "image" because obviously that's what is really important. Doubt he even knows Nine Inch Nails put out three new releases and toured between 2016-2018 and honestly that's fine. Stern is a scumbag - a family member is a long time listener so I've heard quite a bit of the show by proxy. Talk about a insulated, pampered prick who spends the lion's share of his time now cataloguing his "problems" as one of the disproportionately wealthy (which has grown worse and even more tone-deaf during the pandemic), who will never retire because his narcissism demands a platform that allows him to believe every stupid opinion he has is important.

Trent would never go on the show with how much he prefers to keep private, and even if he did Stern would pull a Rock Hall and act like everything after the mid 90s never happened or wasn't worth talking about. Not worth it on multiple counts.
    I got into radio by interning for Opie & Anthony, another buncha assholes. That being said, I was a direct witness to Howard's hypocrisy back then, whining to mgmt & insisting they muzzle O&A to where they could never mention Howard on air. I saw this playing out in front of me throughout that year at WNEW as the boys would be told new things and topics they weren't allowed to talk about every few months. And all this from the same guy who made his bones calling out other talent he had problems with only a few years earlier, and demanding the right to say basically whatever he wanted on the air.

What I will say about Howard is that he is very loyal and does right by his whole staff. You have to really fuck up to be let go from the show, and I at least appreciate that he keeps going bc it's keep literally hundreds of people employed and paid pretty well.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    thanks for this. You're right about your assessment with Howard regarding music. I feel like he's always just known "the hits" of people. Can't say I'm too surprised though, that goes for most radio people. Also agree that he latches on to artist's image in the 90s.
    Before that, really. Howard LOOOOOOVES Bon Jovi. LOVES. He inducted Bon Jovi into the HoF. But Howard will be 67 in January. (An aside: His net worth is $650 million.) In September, a fan asked Howard about his top three rock bands. Howard said the Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. Pretty standard boring typical answer expected from a Boomer. Howard gushes about LOTS of people. Have you read his latest book, “Comes Again?” Howard is worth that much money because of ass-kissing. It’s how he gets people on his show. But he doesn’t really care about any of it. On his Letterman interview (Netflix), he says he hates going anywhere, never vacations, he’s pretty much a loner, so - no - he’s not in touch with the Hip Kids, nor does he want or need to be. The guy is pushing 70, has a hot wife, sits at home with a house full of foster cats. (He’s also a REALLY GOOD painter, watercolors.) He’s primarily a COMEDIAN, so he’s always a smart ass. The guy used to be FART MAN, for Christ sake. But he doesn’t really give a shit about any of this. Except Jon Bon Jovi, who’s his friend.

Regarding Billy’s assessment of Trent and Eddie; it seems that Howard is misunderstanding, because Billy is being cagey, but a lot of the problem seems to derive from the fact that Billy is basing his opinion on the Trent and Eddie he “knew” from 25 years ago, not the Trent and Eddie who are married and have kids. Just like Howard’s vision of Trent is TDS Trent, not 5 kids sober guy family Trent. Because Howard used to love the Trent who was notorious for hanging out at strip clubs, Howard loves that shit (even though Howard doesn’t do that shit). Howard just had Eddie on his show, and Eddie sang a song that literally made me SOB (about this little boy named Eli who has a disease called EB, it’s for a fundraiser).
    Last edited by allegro; 12-14-2020 at 02:47 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ten Second Songs did a cover of closer, not bad.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Great interview in Consequence of Sound, the bit where they had to prove to Pixar they could do optimistic music made me laugh

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/...-atticus-ross/

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Great interview in Consequence of Sound, the bit where they had to prove to Pixar they could do optimistic music made me laugh

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/...-atticus-ross/
    For anyone anticipating my usual tirade against these chumps - I'm legitimately glad to see CoS doing some original reporting.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This came up in a google alert, it's a little featurette on the music of Soul

https://collider.com/soul-soundtrack...ss-featurette/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I watched the Song Exploder episode about 'Hurt' on Netflix recently and decided to post a new excerpt from my book on The Downward Spiral.

READ - blog excerpt from my book Into The Never: Nine Inch Nails & The Creation Of The Downward Spiral

[Breaking The Spiral] – Netflix Documentary Reveals How Trent Reznor wrote ‘Hurt’ and The Downward Spiral Broke Into The Mainstream

https://adamsteiner.uk/2020/12/15/breaking-the-spiral-how-hurt-broke-nine-inch-nails-the-downward-spiral-into-the-mainstream/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    About 5 minutes in is a The Perfect Grub parody in this pretty good track.
    https://gabekatz1.bandcamp.com/album/wired-al

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    That song exploder episode was goddamn excellent.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    New podcast interview with Rob:
    https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-j6kcy-f5bd28

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    New podcast interview with Rob:
    https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-j6kcy-f5bd28
    I’ll have to check this out. Rob gives great interviews, and has a lot of funny stories to tell. I adore John Crawford’s work with NIN, but I do hope Rob collaborates with Trent again someday in some capacity because his style feels like iconic NIN to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I guess it's only a little ironic to post this here, but Pitchfork -- the self-proclaimed Most Trusted Voice In Music -- published their 16 best ambient albums of 2020 today and..

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...nt-music-2020/

Ghosts V: Together -- an album bestowed with a suitably boilerplate 7.7 rating from everyone's first idea of music tastemakers -- didn't even make the list. Some of the albums that did got several decimal points lower than Together. FFS, some of the albums that made the list didn't even get a review, so unworthy of The Most Trusted Voice In Music's time upon their release..

A travesty. How is this even possible. It just doesn't add up..

As Trent himself would say..STILL CUNTS.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Not really a NIN spotting per se, but I didn’t know where else to post this. Our very own @johnbron surprised me with these awesome NIN logo ornaments and I wanted to share it with the community. I love it how over the years I have become close to a good few thanks to this board and the NIN community. John and I have known one another for 15 years now and I consider him a close friend of mine. It’s moments like this that remind me why I keep coming back to this place after all these years. I hope the rest of you have a great holiday and to John, Thanks man!

Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 12-23-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    After I took the family to Disney last year, I somehow also got on to their "D23 newsletter" thingy, which included this Jon Batiste q&a on Soul today
    https://d23.com/exclusive-qa-with-soul-musician-jon-batiste/

Relevant NIN-spotting bit:
    D23: Were you in touch with Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross to make sure your compositions complemented each other, or did you want to keep that separate?JB: The songs and the score mostly exist in separate worlds—Earth and The Great Before—so it worked better for us to not communicate at the start of the creative process since we wanted there to be a contrast between the two worlds. Once we were further into the process, we played each other some of the music, and that’s when their music started to influence my approach more. There are moments when our worlds collide, and for those moments, we collaborated on the music together. It really was the blending of two worlds. My creative process was completely different from theirs. Figuring that out with them were some of my favorite moments in the studio.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Not really a NIN spotting per se, but I didn’t know where else to post this. Our very own @johnbron surprised me with these awesome NIN logo ornaments and I wanted to share it with the community. I love it how over the years I have become close to a good few thanks to this board and the NIN community. John and I have known one another for 15 years now and I consider him a close friend of mine. It’s moments like this that remind me why I keep coming back to this place after all these years. I hope the rest of you have a great holiday and to John, Thanks man!
    Dude, can I buy some of those? My tree isn't representing NIN at all right now, haha!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

merry christmas everyone

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

i saw someone else with these and i am so damn jealous. they look so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Who actually came up with the Sin logo back in the day? Whoever designed that deserves a beer.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Who actually came up with the Sin logo back in the day? Whoever designed that deserves a beer.
    The Designers Republic seem to be credited for it but I can't find an actual name of the specific artist that did it, if there even was just one. Nick Phillips and/or Ian Anderson is a good bet.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post

Ghosts V: Together -- an album bestowed with a suitably boilerplate 7.7 rating from everyone's first idea of music tastemakers -- didn't even make the list. Some of the albums that did got several decimal points lower than Together. FFS, some of the albums that made the list didn't even get a review, so unworthy of The Most Trusted Voice In Music's time upon their release..

A travesty. How is this even possible. It just doesn't add up..

As Trent himself would say..STILL CUNTS.
    Welcome to Pitchfork, where the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

But in all seriousness - I do actually enjoy critic's music reviews because I've been introduced to lots of new music that way. But Pitchfork has always been ridiculous and has historically had many writers with odd axes to grind against certain artists/genres.

Luckily, I get my music review fix from Youtube channels like Mic the Snare, The Needle Drop and Todd in the Shadows. None of those guys take themselves as seriously as the dorks at Pitchfork, but still introduce me to lots of new stuff.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It's a Christmas miracle! Now, vinyl edition pls

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's a Christmas miracle! Now, vinyl edition pls
    ...of both the UK and US versions.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    What was wrong with it? It says 1994 on Apple Music, ugh.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    It also says it’s Pop music. Hardly fixed..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    What was wrong with it? It says 1994 on Apple Music, ugh.
    The Downward Spiral cut off about the last 2 minutes. Not sure if there were other issues.
    If you search Spotify by album the old version is still there. So I'm happy to have 1994 to distinguish between the two until the other one disappears.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I remember an article in Guitar Player magazine from around the time of TF, describing him strumming a 'goth' Gibson acoustic guitar. They had a line of electrics in that style

like that. Are there any pics of the acoustic guitar I described?

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    What are the ornaments made out of @NotoriousTIMP ?