Page 180 of 191 FirstFirst ... 80 130 170 178 179 180 181 182 190 ... LastLast
Results 5,371 to 5,400 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Holy shit the 2021 lineup sucks.

Not exactly breaking news and pretty much what we’ve come to expect, but, yeah. Fuck that festival.
    Fucking JOURNEY?!

Wtf.

There’s not enough wine and Xanax in the world. Nope. And I LIVE IN CHICAGO. Nope nope nope.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    For the record, I find Slowdive to be the best British band. I’m not huge into Brit pop; I do like Pulp.

I admit Oasis wrote some decent songs but those all had quick diminishing returns based upon the overplaying of said songs and how utterly fucking moronic and arrogant they came across in all interviews (in person, in print). “We are The Beatles of the ‘90s.” Fuck off.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I stand by what I said. You can’t be a million different people and be the same mold. It’s nonsensical.
    Goddamn, @Swykk ! It's poetic license. You can't "fuck everyone in the world" or become flesh in a broken machine and continue performing, either.

You REALLY hate this song.

I feel the same way about Third Eye Blind. There are VERY few bands I actively dislike, where I insist that the radio be changed if they come on.

Like, I wanna just bitch slap that dude to the beat of Semi Charmed Life, just for creating it.

"SMACK want something SMACK to get me through this SMACK semicharmeded kinda SMACK," like that.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Ooooooh... Third fucking Eye Blind... that band suuuuuucks. Not only did they do this really lame pop repackaging of Dinosaur Jr without any of the interesting guitar work, their music is all cognitive dissonance. That song... I think it's actually called "Jumper?" And the music is all bouncy pop bullshit, demented circus rock, and the lyrics are like "gee, I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend, I would understaaaaaaaaaaaaaand!!!!"

Fuck that band.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Goddamn, @Swykk ! It's poetic license. You can't "fuck everyone in the world" or become flesh in a broken machine and continue performing, either.

You REALLY hate this song.

I feel the same way about Third Eye Blind. There are VERY few bands I actively dislike, where I insist that the radio be changed if they come on.

Like, I wanna just bitch slap that dude to the beat of Semi Charmed Life, just for creating it.

"SMACK want something SMACK to get me through this SMACK semicharmeded kinda SMACK," like that.
    I really do hate that song. Everything about it is bad.

To be fair…

TR said, “I wanna fuck everyone in the world” (He WANTS to, which is different than stating you ARE a million different people and then saying you can’t change) and I believe was speaking metaphorically in HiS.

Third Eye Blind are fucking abysmal. No redeeming qualities to be found there.
    Last edited by Swykk; 05-19-2021 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Huh, i was under the assumption people loved that fits TEB album, myself included. Interesting.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Speaking of bands that started Birtpop, i've always found The Stone Roses, completely overrated...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The Verve were brilliant, recently found out Killing Joke guitarist Youth, produced Bitter Sweet Symphony and that album Urban Hymns which sold like 15 million copies. People dont understand how big that album was. It think it was number one the week Princess Diana died I keep remember it being played everywhere that week
    Listen to their first album A Storm in Heaven from the early 90s it sounds bit like Ride, more experimental and psychadelic. Brilliant debut.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Huh, i was under the assumption people loved that fits TEB album, myself included. Interesting.
    Firstly, NO OFFENSE.

Second, yeah, they sold a lot of records.

Finally, good GOD I hate that band. And, as I said earlier, there sure isn't much I actively DISLIKE. Third Eye Blind is in a VERY small group, for me. I let most things ride, but not THAT shit.

Again, no offense. I appreciate a LOT of your musings and ideas. And, liking music is subjective.

But, the success of that group just BAFFLES me, personally.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I believe was speaking metaphorically in HiS.
    Ashcroft was speaking metaphorically, too.

The “Bitter Sweet Symphony” which The Verve’s lead singer, Richard Ashcroft, is referring to is life itself. He considers the whole experience to be “bittersweet” because he perceives it as one where you ceaselessly toil to make “ends meet” only to die in the end.

Moreover the singer feels that he is cast in a framework that has relegated him to a life of “sex and violence, melody and silence”. So this combined with his reluctance to the idea of being “a slave to money” has caused Ashcroft to take an ideological stance against the system.

However, turning this belief into concrete action is what truly lies at the center of the singer’s dilemma. This finds him stuck in a state of mental flux where he believes he “can change”. Yet being “here in (his) mold” is preventing him from doing so. And on a macrocosmic level, he sees “a million different people” going through the same conflict he is experiencing.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    While I'm here, there's no better Britpop band than Oasis.
    No, they weren't the Beatles.
    Yes, they were assholes.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to Oasis and Blur.

And for me, it's Oasis by a landslide.

No Suede or Pulp song moved me like The Master Plan or Cast No Shadow or Morning Glory.
    None fired me up like Supersonic or Cigarettes and Alcohol.

And, as tired as they may be, Don't Look Back in Anger and Champagne Supernova, and Wonderwall, are PERFECT arena anthems.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I dunno, Pulp affected me more because of the lyrics

The music?

Maybe not so much.

But “His 'n' Hers,” “Different Class” and “This is Hardcore” are some of my favorite albums of all time. Mostly because they are so intelligent and snotty and hilarious. And Jarvis is so smart and such a dick and I still love him.

We saw Jarvis solo at Pitchfork and he was awesome. I <3 him almost as much as my husband.

It’s not really Brit Pop, whatever that is, but I dunno why Lily Allen wasn’t a lot more popular in the States. I really loved her, loved several of her albums.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-19-2021 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Pulp was just a cool band, Jarvis Cocker is a suave motherfucker, and This is Hardcore is the most underrated stuff; and no I'm not going to call it Brit Pop... because I don't care what Brit Pop is supposed to be. I don't really like Oasis, but I don't hate them... I don't get what's so great about Stone Roses even (they're fine, but...)

I'm not really into Blur but they have some stuff I really like... I guess. The whole "who wins the Brit Pop battle of the bands!!!!!" bullshit was SO stupid.
    And I'm not even really that into Pulp, not really... but when they're at their best, they kick all kinds of ass... way too awesome to be tossed into that whole Britpop slapfest, and if I had to pick a "winner" there I'd probably go with Suede.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Liam Gallagher 94-97 had an amazing voice and the perfect punk rock swagger. Oasis' 1st album fit in more with what American alternative bands were doing at the time than what Britpop was doing. I remember Courtney Love once said if Kurt was alive he would have loved their 1st few records. They blew their load after Be Here Now (still underrated) and Noel got swallowed up by his own ego and Liam lost his voice. Their last record in 08 before they split was their best album in a decade. Liams last couple solo albums have been pretty solid as well. They are by no means some brilliant band but they are one of the few straight up rock n roll bands I actually like.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Firstly, NO OFFENSE.

Second, yeah, they sold a lot of records.

Finally, good GOD I hate that band. And, as I said earlier, there sure isn't much I actively DISLIKE. Third Eye Blind is in a VERY small group, for me. I let most things ride, but not THAT shit.

Again, no offense. I appreciate a LOT of your musings and ideas. And, liking music is subjective.

But, the success of that group just BAFFLES me, personally.
    OH no, i m not saying people liek them because the sold a lot if that is what you got by it. This was hoenstly the first time I have actually heard people shit talk Third Eye Blind at all, like honestly. EVen people who i expected to shit talk the band like Fantano liked that album so it honestly came off as a surprise to me

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    “Like A Friend” alone is better than any Oasis song.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I really liked the first two Oasis albums, and I'm not a super fan of Brit-pop. I remember when people were comparing them to the Beatles around '94/'95, which was just silly.

RE: Third Eye Blind. I do like that "doot do doot do do do doot" song, mainly out of nostelgia, and it is catchy.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I did see 3EB a few years ago.. only because Silversun Pickups opened. They did their entire first album, which probably was the only thing that actually made them somewhat tolerable (Losing a Whole Year and Graduate are still good songs). But wow are they (Stephan Jenkins in particular) egotistical for absolutely no reason. They're such an incredibly generic sounding alt-rock band, but legit think they're rockstars because they have devoted fans that will literally break down in tears when they play (seriously, it was a weird show in terms of people watching). I've heard stories of them demanding that bands they tour with always having to wear their credentials backstage, but that 3EB themselves don't have to. I guess I'm on team fuck that band.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I actually could care less about Oasis' pop songs.....Much like Liam, I prefer the heavier stuff. I would have loved an entire album of songs that rip like these. Liams Johnny Rotten vocals were perfect for these types of songs

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I felt emotionally orphaned by TEB. Just the worst. And "Slow Motion" is cringe, perfect example of trying too hard to have a meaning, man! https://genius.com/Third-eye-blind-slow-motion-lyrics

My sister's eating paint chips again
    Maybe that's why she's insane

I don't mind Bittersweet Symphony, but there are far better songs on Urban Hymns. Looking at you, Weeping Willow. Regardless of the brickwalling, Morning Glory rules, and songs like "The Hindu Times" still have that fun rocking edge.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    The albums Suede put out in recent years are actually pretty amazing, Night Thoughts in particular.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    While I'm here, there's no better Britpop band than Oasis.
    No, they weren't the Beatles.
    Yes, they were assholes.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to Oasis and Blur.

And for me, it's Oasis by a landslide.

No Suede or Pulp song moved me like The Master Plan or Cast No Shadow or Morning Glory.
    None fired me up like Supersonic or Cigarettes and Alcohol.

And, as tired as they may be, Don't Look Back in Anger and Champagne Supernova, and Wonderwall, are PERFECT arena anthems.
    - Yes, Oasis was a great "asshole" band, can't stand the guys, but love their albums.
    - Blur were more interesting, they experimented more with their sound, maybe they don't have as much "Anthems", but their albums are very different and more varied than Oasis.
    - Pulp, probably was the best, but oddly their songs aren't as catchy, still "This is hardcore" is awesome!
    - I don't hate "The Stone Roses"; but i never heard what's the big deal, to me they were an above average band...
    - Never got into Suede, i did knew a couple of songs by them, were is a good place to start?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    For me it was definitely Blur on the Oasis or Blur argument, but that was mostly due to Parklife (again, 1994 was just amazing for music).
    Pulp was fun, but I never listened to their albums that much. I knew a song or two from Suede; I think I borrowed a cd of theirs once and just never got into them.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    It seems like a lot of us are confused about why the Stone Roses were such a big deal.

They were headlining a festival some years back, or at least near the top of the bill, and I was confused.

I mean, they weren't BAD, but I was just like, uhh...hmm.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post

RE: Third Eye Blind. I do like that "doot do doot do do do doot" song, mainly out of nostelgia, and it is catchy.
    SMACK do doot SMACK do doot do SMACK doot do SMACK do doot do.

Until he shuts up.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    SMACK do doot SMACK do doot do SMACK doot do SMACK do doot do.

Until he shuts up.
    I think it was. in that Norm McDonald movie, Dirty Work. I miss the 90s.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    Lollapalooza requiring a COVID vaccine is pointless, potentially unworkable, and shamefully betrays the original ethos of an event where no one - no matter how far on the fringes they might be - would be marginalized or rejected for being different, going against the grain, or taking an unpopular or unconventional stance on any issue. Of all the diseases I thought they would (or should) test for, this does not make the top 5.

A sad, slippery slope we are on.
    Being an idiot and refusing vaccination is not at all equivocal to the “marginalized” who are on the receiving end of queerphobia, transphobia, xenophobia or racism. Get a grip.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    Lollapalooza requiring a COVID vaccine is pointless, potentially unworkable, and shamefully betrays the original ethos of an event where no one - no matter how far on the fringes they might be - would be marginalized or rejected for being different, going against the grain, or taking an unpopular or unconventional stance on any issue. Of all the diseases I thought they would (or should) test for, this does not make the top 5.

A sad, slippery slope we are on.
    WAIT wait wait.
    What in the FUCK?
    You're saying that...where do I even start?

The "original ethos" of Lolla was "Jane's Addiction's Last Tour."
    It wasn't the fucking Rainbow Gathering or Burning Man or Woodstock, for fuck's sake.

And they're not TESTING for covid, right? They're asking that people be vaccinated.

So, yeah, you had a "top five diseases" they'd be TESTING for, at Lollapalooza, THIS year, after no disease testing since 1991? And Covid 19 didn't make the list? In 2021? Right after millions of people died from the airborne spread of it, often after public gatherings?

Well, fuck me, I'm all ears. What were your top five?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm not going to rush out to buy their new album, but this isn't that bad. And I generally hate this band.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    God, why is everything so political.

/s