Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: The concerts thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Saw QOTSA on Friday night, and it was fantastic. They opened with Regular John which was an awesome surprise, then went straight into Do It Again. The band played a pretty long set that featured Misfit Love, In the Fade, Song for the Deaf, I Appear Missing, and a bunch of Villains tracks, which all sounded great, especially Villains of Circumstance. So happy that I've had the chance to see them three times now, each show was better than the one before.

Queens played Someone's in the Wolf and Avon last night at the same venue, so I'm super jealous of the fans that were there to see it.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Assuming nothing gets me sidetracked, I don’t think I’ve been to this many shows within a two week period:

- Tonight: Metallica in Madison, first show of this tour
    - Tuesday: The Killers, opening up the Milwaukee Bucks new arena
    - Next Thursday and Friday: NIN in Phoenix (happy to be going to the first show of a NIN tour)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Just booked to see Kylie in Cardiff (although I’m not a fan of her going ‘country’).
    Then, seeing Gary Numan, Human League, Slayer and possibly Peter Murphy later this year
    Just also booked to see “An Evening with King Crimson” and Mogwai (with the Twilight Sad in support) both at St David’s Hall in Cardiff on my own! One of the lovely things about the venue is it isn’t in the ticketmaster exploitative network so you buy the ticket and it’s either a pound for postage or booking office collect
    Last edited by WorzelG; 09-03-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Saw IDLES play Rough Trade in Nottingham last night, 13 tracks, audience choice. 'Small' gig of the year to date.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Crazy few months ahead of me and I couldn't be more excited!

9/15: Modern Life Is War, Call of the Void, Faim, Line Brawl
    9/18: Nine Inch Nails
    9/19: Nine Inch Nails
    9/29: Blessthefall, The Word Alive, DED, Thousand Below, A War Within
    10/2: Counterparts, Being As An Ocean, Have Mercy, Varials
    11/2: Stray From The Path, Silent Planet, Kublai Khan, Greyhaven
    11/16: Every Time I Die, Turnstile, Angel Du$t, Vein
    11/17: Every Time I Die, Turnstile, Angel Du$t, Vein

So pumped for these shows! Especially ETID...missed them the last 3 times they were in Denver this year so I made sure to get both nights. And the best part about that? Tickets were $25/ea and they offered a 2-day pass so I snagged that bringing the grand total with all taxes and fees to $54.80. I bought a separate ticket for a buddy who had to work when tickets went on sale and for his single ticket it was $35.04!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'm gonna try and score tickets to Ween in St. Paul tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Went to see Parkway Drive, August Burns Red and Devil Wears Prada last night. Solid show all around. My ears are still feeling the repercussions of this one. Got my dose of screaming for the next month.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm not much of a concert-goer, but I made the initiative to see Franz Ferdinand in Raleigh, NC back in July. This week I have tickets to see Car Seat Headrest in Carrboro, NC. And next week is the two night stretch of NIN in Atlanta!

I tried to score tickets to see Beck earlier this year in Charlotte but wasn't quick enough. And I'm a little bummed that Gary Numan didn't schedule any southeast shows for his second Savage North American tour.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Mother of God go see David Byrne. Go now! Saw him last night in Brooklyn and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot. Definitely top 5.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Disappointed that Jawbreaker cancelled their shows this past weekend in the NY/NJ area, citing the hurricane as the reason when the real reason was low ticket sales due to the venues being a little too ambitious/ticket prices. Weak.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This one is sure to be a bit off the beaten path. Saw Alison Krauss last week and it was an amazing show! I truly appreciate talented musicians from many genres. The blank stares and judgemental attitudes which can result from not being part of the musical clique used to bother me, but now I just find it amusing. Hey, I like what I like, which includes great variety.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    So I saw Car Seat Headrest (with support from Naked Giants) at Cat's Cradle last night in Carrboro, NC. It was a sold out show of 750 and while my friend and I were originally going to skip the Naked Giants set, we were glad we didn't. Naked Giants started the show off right; lots of energy and nice grooves. As for CSH, they played a good mix of new and older stuff. Of course, "Bodys" was played but it was early on (2nd in set), since a lot of people were anticipating that one. Good thing was, I didn't see anyone leaving, or shuffling toward the door after that song. I was amazed by the lighting during the set too. My friend who hadn't heard of them was pleasantly surprised too; claimed it was one of the best shows he's seen all year.
    Last edited by REPLICA; 09-22-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I’m at The Midnight show, bitch!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Saw Thousand Below, Ded, The Word Alive, and Blessthefall last night. First off, the Bluebird theater in Denver is amazing. It's so small (like 450 capacity), the floor has multiple levels with dividers making pits difficult to start and totally contained when they are, and the band is like RIGHT there.

Thousand Below and Ded were great. I had no expectations for either and was blown away. I haven't been a fan of TWA's last two albums but they stuck to metalcore last night and put on a banger of a show. Telle's voice is so good and during "Life Cycles" he came into the crowd and ended up standing right in front of me and my buddy Joe. Joe offered his beer and Telle took a gulp before belting out the next line of the chorus on his way back to the stage.

Finally, Blessthefall came out and absolutely owned the stage and room at large. They had so much energy that was reciprocated by the crowd. That was my third time seeing them and easily the best performance. If this tour is coming to your town and you're even remotely a fan of any of these bands, GO. You will not be disappointed.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    A good friend hit me up about going to Machine Head on the 15th in The Cities since they are essentially splitting up. I'd thought about it but can't use my shitty car down there. I'm not super stoked to go because I've seen them many times over the years, but at the same time they have always put on a good show so hopefully since this is a farewell type scenario they'll bust out some old school jams. In any even it should be fun. I literally can't even talk about the shows I've missed since moving so this will be good.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    A good friend hit me up about going to Machine Head on the 15th in The Cities since they are essentially splitting up. I'd thought about it but can't use my shitty car down there. I'm not super stoked to go because I've seen them many times over the years, but at the same time they have always put on a good show so hopefully since this is a farewell type scenario they'll bust out some old school jams. In any even it should be fun. I literally can't even talk about the shows I've missed since moving so this will be good.
    if Rob would just shut the fuck up & play his songs, MH would be so much better live.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    if Rob would just shut the fuck up & play his songs, MH would be so much better live.
    That's how i felt last time i saw them, and about Pantera at the end respectively. I'm hoping for a good show with some deep cuts but we'll see. I'm pretty hard up for a concert so this should hopefully be okay, and fill the void. If nothing else it get's me out of town for a day.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    I'm hoping for a good show with some deep cuts but we'll see.
    Setlist from the first night will not make you happy then. At least if you're hoping for more 90's material in terms of deep cuts like I would be.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Disappointed that Jawbreaker cancelled their shows this past weekend in the NY/NJ area, citing the hurricane as the reason when the real reason was low ticket sales due to the venues being a little too ambitious/ticket prices. Weak.
    Not true. Not true in the least. They've sold out every show they've played since they reformed so if they said it was because of the hurricane, it WAS because of the hurricane.
    In any case, wouldya happen to have plans to visit the LA area the weekend of November 11th? If so, I highly recommend coming to the little party my BFF and I are throwing for our old fanzine's 30th anniversary.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baphomette View Post
    Not true. Not true in the least. They've sold out every show they've played since they reformed so if they said it was because of the hurricane, it WAS because of the hurricane.
    Sorry but you're wrong. I'm not happy about this or anything...I'ma Jawbreaker fan & I was excited for the Stone Pony show. My friend works regularly with the promoter for the NJ show and they told her that was the real reason. It's not like it was some big secret anyway. Was speculated everywhere prior. Ticket prices were too high, venue too ambitious and the market too small. The show was being papered heavily in advance and they saw this as a convenient way to get out of this and re-book the shows at the proper level.

That flyer is...unfortunate.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tomorrow night in LA:
    Cave In
    Celestial (a one night only Isis reunion)
    Pelican
    Old Man Gloom

Can’t fucking wait!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    That flyer is...unfortunate.
    As was my attempt to remedy your disappointment. Oh well...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Setlist from the first night will not make you happy then. At least if you're hoping for more 90's material in terms of deep cuts like I would be.
    Pretty accurate. Though i will say they did a good job. Was strange thinking i'd first seen them like 20 years ago. The guitar lead bit was pretty cringe worthy though. They played about 3 hours not too much unnecessary banter from Rob. They seemed to be having a good time which was nice. Saw Black Crows once and it was clear no one was getting on. All in all not a bad show.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw Glenn Hughes in Boston about a month ago. He played material exclusively from his time in Deep Purple (plus two Gillan-era songs). I love that material and it's awesome that he's doing this tour, because the actual current Deep Purple will never play any of it. For a guy in his late 60's, he looks and sounds great.

I also caught Slash last week with his band Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators. Another solid show. They mostly stuck to the Conspirators material, playing only one song from GN'R and Velvet Revolver.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I just saw Nine Inch Nails the last 3 out of 4 nights, and I'm seeing them again tonight. They were pretty good but I'm not sure how many people here would be into them.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    My December is going to be busy.....

11/09 - Ladies of LCD Soundsystem
    11/30 - NIN in Vegas
    12/01 - NIN in Vegas
    12/04 - NIN in SF
    12/05 - NIN in SF
    12/11 - NIN in LA
    12/15 - NIN in LA
    12/18 - Ministry in San Diego

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Mother of God go see David Byrne. Go now! Saw him last night in Brooklyn and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot. Definitely top 5.
    I really wanted to go see this but he's playing in Cardiff when I'm actually away for the weekend. Bummer

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Going to see Garbage tomorrow night. It'll be my 3rd time seeing them.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I saw Foo Fighters last night for the first time and I was really impressed. I mean I was excited to see them, but not as much as some of the other shows I got tickets to this year (NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, APC, Metallica, Ghost, Alice in Chains...), but they were WAY better than I was expecting. Dave Grohl is a funny motherfucker and they played almost as long of a set as Smashing Pumpkins did when they were here. He can also scream pretty much just as good as he did in the '90s. The setlist was great, too. They played almost every song I was hoping to hear with the exception of I'll Stick Around and Big Me. As a huge Tom Petty fan, I also really enjoyed their jammed out, extended cover of Breakdown, which I think Tom would have approved of as well.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    @sonic_discord They're on my Bucket List of bands to see live