Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Big. Black. Delta.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Received my shirt two days ago (Germany) and was also informed by "Silent Empire" when it was shipped.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I just got a notification that the disposable camera I ordered shipped today.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    album's available for pre-order on amazon (wasn't when i checked a couple weeks ago) for $22ish for those of us who didn't get in on the pledgemusic campaign

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I hope he put our names in the credits like he said he was going to. as a fan, stuff like that kicks ass. makes you really feel like you had a hand in it coming to life

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Weird how Overlord didn't say "feat. Camila Grey" like the other guests.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    How is everyone else feeling about the album? Steer the Canyon and Strange Cakes are the only songs really doing much for me (apart from the epic brooding title track). The whole thing sounds... pop-mastered or something? I can't put my finger on it, but it's like he was trying to make it most of the songs blend in with pop music as much as possible in terms of mixing or something (especially RCVR, which feels pre-compressed and ready to play on KissFM).

Kinda disappointed, but can't wait to see BBD in a couple weeks anyway!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm kind of whatever about it. It's not bad. But, it's nowhere near as good as the first album.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDefacto View Post
    How is everyone else feeling about the album? Steer the Canyon and Strange Cakes are the only songs really doing much for me (apart from the epic brooding title track). The whole thing sounds... pop-mastered or something? I can't put my finger on it, but it's like he was trying to make it most of the songs blend in with pop music as much as possible in terms of mixing or something (especially RCVR, which feels pre-compressed and ready to play on KissFM).

Kinda disappointed, but can't wait to see BBD in a couple weeks anyway!
    I feel exactly the same way. I thought the first record was brilliant. Brilliant enough to make me run out and buy a ticket to their show here in a few weeks. Then I listened to the new record and my jaw dropped to the floor on how much of a departure it was from the first record... and not in a good way. I honestly contemplated selling my ticket to the show now. If the show is heavy on the new material, I already know I am going to be bored and disappointed and I'd rather save myself the hassle.

But you're right, it's like this record went through a pop factory and got it all cheered up and ready to pump out to the masses.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Gotta love the subjective nature of music. I'm loving the album, I think it shows a healthy amount of growth and progression from LP1 in a number of ways. The songs aren't as immediate to me on this one, which I think it great. Not sure yet if it's better than LP1 yet, but I think it's for sure on par with it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Saw them play last night in Denver and it was fantastic! Really energetic and engaging. I saw them open for Gary Numan last year and they were even better this time around.

Also, a band called Sego opened and they were great too. Kind of like a Beck meets the Killers with distortion. Really nice guys too!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Where do I get it? I never did the pledge thing (I planned to but forgot like I do with all those pledge music things) and his site isn't updated at all. Still advertising limited prints that sold out years ago.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @kleiner352

new album is available on CD here for only $7.74...
    http://www.importcds.com/tragame-tierra/5052442008910

Vinyl is $21.76
    http://www.importcds.com/tragame-tierra/5052442008927

ImportCDs is a great shop. Found them thru their Amazon substore. So I did some Googling and found their direct website, which is usually cheaper than their Amazon prices. They also have an eBay store as well. I bought most of my Smashing Pumpkins boxsets from them since they had the best prices at the time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i'm still waiting for my cd to arrive via pledgemusic. anyone else?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    me too. i got my shirt a week ago. but there's not a shipping number or anything to see how far along my order is. mildly frustrating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Got a shipping notice last Friday but nothing has shown up yet. Hopefully this weekend?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Random quick thoughts after spending more time with it:

TT is growing on me - unlike LP1, his best work for me, where I loved all tracks immediately and still do. If LP1 is A+ for me, which it is, TT started as a C/C+ and turning to B/B+ with more listens. TT has a couple of strong songs which I liked right away. Liking the last few slower songs especially. I like the guest singer tracks.

Some of the choruses in the songs don't feel satisfying, but I'm starting to appreciate them. Example: I didn't like the repetition of the "Let's go home" part of that song at first when it was revealed live and in the actual release, but it was getting it stuck in my head, and after some time I am liking it more. It's still a little weak. I do like the "be alone be alone be alone...." part a lot, so it kind of drew me in. The solo in that song feels weaker than expected, after seeing the live clip from instagram in November. Less "in your face", but of course live is different.

Cutting Wrong Blonde Susan definitely hurt the album, I really love the chorus even though I don't know what the fuck he's saying (that's typical of BBD... and it pisses me off sometimes). Google Play Music's track uploading fills that gap for me, and I like sticking it as the last track.

Strange Cakes and I See Fit are lovely.

I like Kid Icarus the least, most of it is kind of dumb.

Overall I think it's good that TT's really different.

I hope there aren't big customs charges to Canada for the items I got from pledge music. I did all items as separate orders to hopefully decrease the chance.
    Last edited by blassster; 05-01-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apparently the shipping notice I got from PledgeMusic a week ago was pointless, because I got a new shipping notice from Silent Empire today, so it must have really gone out today.

Not the end of the world, but I'm going to be wary of a PledgeMusic/Kickstarter music project from now on.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    Apparently the shipping notice I got from PledgeMusic a week ago was pointless, because I got a new shipping notice from Silent Empire today, so it must have really gone out today.

Not the end of the world, but I'm going to be wary of a PledgeMusic/Kickstarter music project from now on.
    Got mine for the CD so far. Shipping label created, but not actually sent yet.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I got my shipping notice today also, which is nice but frustrating as they said everything was shipped already as of the 29th.

Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post

Good thinking. This is the 4th project I've ordered from on pledgemusic and have yet to actually receive an item before it hits normal retail. Customer service is extremely, extremely slow to respond, also, and is usually not that helpful in my experience.

I'm hesitant to even bitch about this kind of stuff as I hate contributing to a society already extremely overwrought with instant gratification issues, but on the other hand, as a consumer, I expect to receive on time what was offered and agreed upon for my money by any company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    I got my shipping notice today also, which is nice but frustrating as they said everything was shipped already as of the 29th.

Good thinking. This is the 4th project I've ordered from on pledgemusic and have yet to actually receive an item before it hits normal retail. Customer service is extremely, extremely slow to respond, also, and is usually not that helpful in my experience.

I'm hesitant to even bitch about this kind of stuff as I hate contributing to a society already extremely overwrought with instant gratification issues, but on the other hand, as a consumer, I expect to receive on time what was offered and agreed upon for my money by any company.
    I agree, and the digital files will be fine until the actual CD comes (and even then I'll just look at it and stash it away in a crate).

Still, it sucks considering that I put my Pledge last July and it was already delayed once or twice.

Good album though. Definitely a different animal than either version of the first album, but it grows on me with each listen.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Took a listen to the new album last night. I enjoyed it, but definitely not as much as the first album. I think perhaps too much of the album was spoiled ahead of time. I found myself preferring all the tracks that had been previewed already to the new stuff. Not to say the new stuff is terrible, but I didn't gravitate towards it as much. I also think the title track is way too long for what it is. I like drone tracks, but they need some sense of movement to them in order to hold my attention. It felt very aimless, but perhaps that was the point.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Got my record today. Enjoying the album, but it's not a great pressing. Very scratchy.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Took a listen to the new album last night. I enjoyed it, but definitely not as much as the first album. I think perhaps too much of the album was spoiled ahead of time. I found myself preferring all the tracks that had been previewed already to the new stuff. Not to say the new stuff is terrible, but I didn't gravitate towards it as much. I also think the title track is way too long for what it is. I like drone tracks, but they need some sense of movement to them in order to hold my attention. It felt very aimless, but perhaps that was the point.
    That was exactly how I felt about the first album (though Money Rain Down and Side of the Road were awesome). I've stayed away the newer tracks until I listen to the full album.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post

At least you got a notice. On my order status it says "Partial", I ordered the cd and the RCVR vinyl. I guess they are waiting on the vinyl to arrive before shipping it out for me.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    That was exactly how I felt about the first album (though Money Rain Down and Side of the Road were awesome). I've stayed away the newer tracks until I listen to the full album.
    that's funny, those are my two least favorite songs on the first album (though i still enjoy them).

still haven't checked out the new album since everyone's been saying mixed to negative things about it and i don't want to be too disappointed : /

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    still haven't checked out the new album since everyone's been saying mixed to negative things about it and i don't want to be too disappointed : /
    It's actually growing on me a fair amount, though I do think it's safe to say it'll never reach the level of love as BBDLP1 did from me. You should give it a shot. :P

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    On top records in his life

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Finally listened to Trágame Tierra. I had stayed away from all the singles because I didn't want to be spoiled, and, man, I'm glad I did. It still sucks that Jonathan was robbed of his musical equipment, but he didn't let that bring him down. He reinvented himself. I love that none of the tracks remind me of the previous BBD stuff (except for the title track, which reminds me of a similar drone track on self-titled). It sounds grand, loud, nasty, ugly and beautiful at the same time. Liked the focus on female singers this time, as well as the absence of those huge snare sounds, even if they had played a substantial role in me loving his earlier awesome singles. This time, by putting less focus on the drum sounds, the synths are being given more room to dominate the sound. I'm still in awe. Not as catchy or immediate as his old stuff, but far more varied and ambitious. It makes a perfect companion to Fever Daydream for me.

Bravo, Jonathan. You truly are the Master of Bates.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone come across scans of the pledgemusic-exclusive handwritten lyrics sheets? I think only 5 or so were sold. What about the disposable camera pictures?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    TL;DR
    Lossless rips of Boredom Never Sounded So Sweet(!), Glassblower, and A Demonstration of Intellectual Property demo. The holy grail of otherwise unavailable lossless Mellowdrone stuff that I've been searching for for years. Also a fan's live recordings from over the years, and what used to be in that mellowshare account is in the link below.

Background:
    I tracked down someone (softlimes) who got the Boredom Never Sounded So Sweet CD (Mellowdrone's first album, a rare 1999 self-release), it was sheer luck because I was looking for something else when I found him and he only got it a few weeks ago. softlimes ripped it in FLAC for us. He reached out to someone (innerturmoil) who owns the A Demonstration Of Intellectual Property demo CD, which they have ripped in FLAC as well. I included my rip of Glassblower.

We banded together and set up a mellowshare revival, a public google drive folder this time instead of giving away the account password and having someone delete the whole thing like before. Contains all of the demo/cover mp3s that used to be in that old mellowshare gmail account plus some FLAC of the early stuff before Box that's out of print and you can't get on iTunes, and some live recordings over the years by innerturmoil. Jon doesn't give a shit about Mellowdrone anymore, which has pretty much been confirmed indirectly in recent interviews and tweet responses to other fans asking questions about it, so he's never going to re-release any of this. I once tracked down and reached out to the guy who mastered Boredom, and he said Jon never responded to him for a possible reissue over the years.

Enjoy:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...UhVMXpvZTBCWkk
    Last edited by blassster; 08-13-2016 at 09:07 PM.