The trailer is here...

...what? I mean...what?!
    Why Jim Carey, why?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think it looks good.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Jesus, this thing looks to be giving Detective Pikachu a run for its money as biggest what the fuck pile of shit is this.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    This. is. wow... am I dreaming? Is that a late April fools?!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Well Jim Carey looks fun...i mean that's literally the only thing positive i have to say about this...thing?

The comedy from everyone else feels really bad (as does everyone else's acting...and if these were the best bits they could pull for the first trailer there are alarm bells!), the choice of music is REALLY strange (Gangsters paradise...THAT'S the song choice for a Sonic movie...REALLY?), and the animation on the CG is giving the Woody Wood Pecker movie a run for it's money...but Sonic looks just freaking weird, especially his real human teeth!

Also something about the editing in the shots feels REALLY bad, like the kind of stuff you get from someone on YouTube or a straight to TV kids film...i can't put my finger on it but...it feels so off.

...i'm still seeing it, i'm a big Sonic nut and i guess that just means i love punishment these days, but my exceptions are so low i might just start playing Sonic 06 to pick them up.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Manhog lol

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like someone will be replacing the Ghostbusters remake as worst movie of recent times. I long for the Super Mario Bros. live action movie after watching this garbage trailer. Terrible.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Jesus, this thing looks to be giving Detective Pikachu a run for its money as biggest what the fuck pile of shit is this.
    OK, DP looks much better than this.

pluses: The coin noise, Cyclops, Jim Carrey
    minuses: the coins are portals(?), cg, music choice, "every hero has a genesis" I mean come on

This looks to be about on par with Hop (another movie starring Cyclops) so it doesn't have a high bar to clear to be acceptable.

Note: as a parent your idea of acceptable has to be adjusted constantly. I've seen so many Tinkerbell movies...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Send that Blue thing back to Hell. Why couldn't they just stick to the original design for Sonic?
    Can't wait to see the sequel with Knuckles and Tails. Spoiler... never gonna happen.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This is carefully crafted from a detailed series of terrible choices

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Looks like someone will be replacing the Ghostbusters remake as worst movie of recent times. I long for the Super Mario Bros. live action movie after watching this garbage trailer. Terrible.
    Speaking of the Super Mario Brothers movie, Sonic's design reminds me of the nightmare fuel that was the goombahs from that film.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I think Sonic is cute. The coin noise makes me want to play the game again.

Why is Dum Dum taking shit from Ace Ventura?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Like I said...

lol

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Just saw this.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Ok, I just need to get this out of the way: The Super Mario Bros. Movie is secretly amazing. It is a rogue, renegade sort of adaptation and in that it succeeds spectacularly. I will defend it to my grave.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

lol

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Man those teeth!

I feel that this movie is gonna spawn the dankest of dank memes.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    The thing whay Detective Pikachu works is that they actually took time to stay within the physicality of the character and taking time to making it as real as possible while maintaining its proportions people know for 20 years. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to step away from Sonic's appearance and making hime look "more real" as this acheived the complete oppositve. Having him be this comical blue thing, very compact, with big shoes would actually amp up the nostalgia rather than reinterpreting a beloved character. The very last scene in the trailer shows that they makers of this film cared for that indeed whehn going full Robotnik... jesus, this is even more bad than Will Smith as the Genie.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Jim Carey is the only reason I want to see this. What they should of did with Sonic was keep the figure they used in Wreck It Ralph and just give him some texture... Done. Instead we get a blue version of the kid from Jumanji turning into a monkey.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I think I like this design better...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I just find it hilarious how they will put those old rock (in this case hip hop) songs in these animated movies so the stupid parents in the movie theater will go "hell yeah!" when they are taking their stupid children to watch these stupid movies.

It's like Captain Marvel wearing a NIN shirt throughout her movie. These things are veeeery well calculated. They know exactly how stupid the moviegoer is and how they crave for a "connection" with a character so they can feel special or something. I don't know, humans are weird and this generation especially is the weirdest of all.

Jim Carrey is a former comedian by now, kinda like Adam Sandler. But I trust he could still redeem himself. I've seen Michael Keaton and Matthew Maccounaghey become relevant and actually delivering incredible performances when nobody expected. So there's faith. But he depends on good writing... and good comedy is basically dead. The last true good comedy movies were all from Sascha Baron Cohen and they all had a very specific style.

Thankfully, great movies are still made every day so everything is fine. But holy shit, can the mainstream get any worse?
    Last edited by ricardo; 05-01-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    I just find it hilarious how they will put those old rock (in this case hip hop) songs in these animated movies so the stupid parents in the movie theater will go "hell yeah!" when they are taking their stupid children to watch these stupid movies.

It's like Captain Marvel wearing a NIN shirt throughout her movie. These things are veeeery well calculated. They know exactly how stupid the moviegoer is and how they crave for a "connection" with a character so they can feel special or something. I don't know, humans are weird and this generation especially is the weirdest of all.

Jim Carrey is a former comedian by now, kinda like Adam Sandler. But I trust he could still redeem himself. I've seen Michael Keaton and Matthew Maccounaghey become relevant and actually delivering incredible performances when nobody expected. So there's faith. But he depends on good writing... and good comedy is basically dead. The last true good comedy movies were all from Sascha Baron Cohen and they all had a very specific style.

Thankfully, great movies are still made every day so everything is fine. But holy shit, can the mainstream get any worse?
    I couldn't agree more, and the best thing we can do to prevent our culture getting whored out is to not support it financially.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Sorry I just had to do it...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post

I agree, the use of "Gangsta's Paradise" was so random it made me cringe.

I don't care for this movie, even with Jim Carrey in it...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Who the fuuuuuck, exactly, is the intended audience for this movie?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Day 2 of Hell on Earth: Sonic is still cute but Pikachu is absolutely adorable. Advantage: Pokemon.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Man, I'm ashamed to admit, it doesn't look half bad.
    And I was one of the people from the getgo saying this was going to be pure shit and was just laughing about the thought of it.

To be fair, I think it's Jim Carrey that sparks my interest here. If it wasn't for him, my interest level would be closer to zilch.
    But, I think he'll be a great fit for the movie. I'll watch it for free online or something. I won't pay for it, god no.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The most important immediate difference between this and detective Pikachu, is that this is set in the real world in modern times. Detective Pikachu cleverly chose to use Pokemons actual setting and a huge part of it's appeal is seeing that world come to life.

In the true tradition of Sonic this feels like a focus group checklist created by a few generations removed

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    What an abortion. Who green lights this shit?