Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: My Bloody Valentine

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    2015? If history is any indication, 2025 is more likely.

I am excited to see My Bloody Valentine this month for the first time though.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    He had songs "finished" in the 90s... If there's an actual release, then it'll be believable. Until then, I'm not jumping on that wagon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    anyone going to hit up one of their north american shows? i'm planning on getting tickets to the aragon ballroom in chicago

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    My aforementioned exploration into mbv was pretty rewarding. Especially thanks to the structure provided by your advice. I really love Loveless and Isn't Anything. On the fence about the newer album. But theyge quuckly earned a special place in my heart. i especially like the production and atmosphere they provide on otherwise straightforward songs. Good stuff.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuckit View Post
    anyone going to hit up one of their north american shows? i'm planning on getting tickets to the aragon ballroom in chicago
    I saw them at the FYF festival, and was sad that the sound system kept screwing up. The entire PA system would just be shutting off sporadically. Was really depressing, considering MBV was the main reason I went, and I was pleasantly surprised that they'd significantly toned down the super loud thing. They were actually playing at a reasonable (still loud, but reasonable) volume, and when the sound system was working properly they sounded great.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I saw them at the FYF festival, and was sad that the sound system kept screwing up. The entire PA system would just be shutting off sporadically. Was really depressing, considering MBV was the main reason I went, and I was pleasantly surprised that they'd significantly toned down the super loud thing. They were actually playing at a reasonable (still loud, but reasonable) volume, and when the sound system was working properly they sounded great.
    well, sound system issues aside, that's very very promising. i'm sure i've ranted about how miserable the roseland experience was some time ago. i'll probably go then, if this is the case across the board. now, if i could only get excited about the new album .

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    well, sound system issues aside, that's very very promising. i'm sure i've ranted about how miserable the roseland experience was some time ago. i'll probably go then, if this is the case across the board. now, if i could only get excited about the new album .
    yeah, after the show I googled around and found an article where Kevin talked about how they'd decided to turn it down, and how it was making it easier to mix in general.

It was still loud, but not horrifying, and all around it sounded much better. For reference, I was shocked to find that at the same festival, TV on the Radio's set was much louder.

And regarding the new album, the live versions might help you warm up to it. The songs sounded amazing, all except for Wonder 2, but I couldn't tell if that was because the PA was screwing up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Already have my tickets, which were actually damn cheap compared to most older acts. I love the new album. My favorite of the year so far, so I'm excited. Hopefully the sound works in their favor since it's their event and not someone else's.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I went to their show last night with a friend. It was our first time seeing MBV so it felt really exciting and momentous.

At first the show was definitely very loud, but not quite as bad as I was expecting from all the stories I'd heard over the years. But then at one point someone in the audience kept yelling "Louder! Play louder!" and Kevin Shields responded "clap louder." So after the next song the crowd went nuts and he said "alright that was pretty good" and told the sound guys to crank it up, at which point the volume became absolutely blistering. I guess it was a good thing the venue staff handed out earplugs before the show. The famous "holocaust" section at the end of the show was especially intense. It felt like the whole building was going to disintegrate from all the vibrations and shaking. I even saw Belinda put her hands over her ears for a minute, and tt looked like she was maybe trying to fix her own earplugs. To be honest, I had been kind of scared about the holocaust section, but I was surprised by how enjoyable it actually was. It's so rare that you get to experience a sensation quite like that. The closest thing I can compare it to is from when I was a little kid, I grew up on an airforce base and used to listen to the jets taking off while I walked home from school.

The setlist was...

Sometimes
    I Only Said
    When You Sleep
    New You
    You Never Should
    Honey Power
    Cigarette in Your Bed
    Only Tomorrow
    Come in Alone
    Only Shallow
    Nothing Much to Lose
    Who Sees You
    To Here Knows When
    Wonder 2
    Soon
    Feed Me With Your Kiss
    You Made Me Realise

The new songs sounded great. "New You" hasn't been one of my favorite songs from the new album, but I thought it sounded way cooler live. I was actually kind of disappointed that they didn't play a few more of the new songs, since the ones they did play were some of the show's best. Pre-Loveless songs sounded much better too. I've always thought those older recordings sounded a little thin and flat when compared to Loveless, but they sounded really deep and massive last night. "Cigarette In My Bed" was amazing.

I think everyone should try to see them if you have the chance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    I went to their show last night with a friend. It was our first time seeing MBV so it felt really exciting and momentous.

At first the show was definitely very loud, but not quite as bad as I was expecting from all the stories I'd heard over the years. But then at one point someone in the audience kept yelling "Louder! Play louder!" and Kevin Shields responded "clap louder." So after the next song the crowd went nuts and he said "alright that was pretty good" and told the sound guys to crank it up, at which point the volume became absolutely blistering. I guess it was a good thing the venue staff handed out earplugs before the show. The famous "holocaust" section at the end of the show was especially intense. It felt like the whole building was going to disintegrate from all the vibrations and shaking. I even saw Belinda put her hands over her ears for a minute, and tt looked like she was maybe trying to fix her own earplugs. To be honest, I had been kind of scared about the holocaust section, but I was surprised by how enjoyable it actually was. It's so rare that you get to experience a sensation quite like that. The closest thing I can compare it to is from when I was a little kid, I grew up on an airforce base and used to listen to the jets taking off while I walked home from school.

The setlist was...

Sometimes
    I Only Said
    When You Sleep
    New You
    You Never Should
    Honey Power
    Cigarette in Your Bed
    Only Tomorrow
    Come in Alone
    Only Shallow
    Nothing Much to Lose
    Who Sees You
    To Here Knows When
    Wonder 2
    Soon
    Feed Me With Your Kiss
    You Made Me Realise

The new songs sounded great. "New You" hasn't been one of my favorite songs from the new album, but I thought it sounded way cooler live. I was actually kind of disappointed that they didn't play a few more of the new songs, since the ones they did play were some of the show's best. Pre-Loveless songs sounded much better too. I've always thought those older recordings sounded a little thin and flat when compared to Loveless, but they sounded really deep and massive last night. "Cigarette In My Bed" was amazing.

I think everyone should try to see them if you have the chance.
    I'm seeing them tonight in Chicago. I'm so excited! Was there an opening band?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortysixand2 View Post
    I'm seeing them tonight in Chicago. I'm so excited! Was there an opening band?
    Yeah, some group called Variety Lights (I think), but unfortunately we weren't able to see their set cause we arrived a little late.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    finally!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    mbv is so fucking good, I'd put it on the same level as Loveless. Really hoping that we'll get to hear something new soon.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I love the mbv album as it's one of the rare CDs that I now own as the last CD I bought was David Bowie's *

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I'm tempted for Loveless.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New track from Kevin Shields and Brian Eno!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I heard that track yesterday. It's fucking gorgeous.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    New track from Kevin Shields and Brian Eno!

Does anybody know where this can be purchased or downloaded ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That track is absolutely huge, it's just this awesome, monolithic wall of sound. Gotta give it more listens!

http://thequietus.com/articles/20034...erview?page=11

Found this really cool Quietus article about Eno's favourite records, and he praises Glider in it.

I just wanna get off-topic for a minute and say that the coda at the end of Honey Power is amazing, and I wish it was a full song.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Midnight View Post
    Does anybody know where this can be purchased or downloaded ?
    From the source code...
    https://d2zk0ul34duwos.cloudfront.ne...8518005659.mp3

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like Spring 2018 for the next album.

This will almost undoubtedly fall back to a summer / early fall kinda window, but still.....soon!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Looks like Spring 2018 for the next album.

This will almost undoubtedly fall back to a summer / early fall kinda window, but still.....soon!
    I know that with this band, these news have to be taken with a big grain of salt, but they still make me all tingly in all the right places.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    https://pitchfork.com/features/inter...lks-new-album/

Kevin says that a new record is 100% coming out next year!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Come on Kevin! Make my ears bleed!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I dunno about y'all but MY enormous quintuple-size Sound Brain is ready for this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I feel like I could pick Kevin Shields' brain all day, every time I read or watch an interview.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    Come on Kevin! Make my ears bleed!
    Fuck that. I want him to make me cum in my pants.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thrilled about the new album and seeing them live again!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)