Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2017

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think this is a great article, lots of info!! https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/07...-add-violence/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    God that sounds awful. Might buy it
    i just did.
    Last edited by muse-lyre candy; 07-25-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    I think this is a great article, lots of info!! https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/07...-add-violence/
    Fantastic interview and article.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    brand new interview...app he thinks the Bakersfield show was shit

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/07...-add-violence/

Quoting to give credit to the user that initially posted this.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Any article that still refers to TR as a "brooding goth overlord" and the "King of Angst" just makes me facepalm. Plus, mentioning that he once owned the Sharon Tate house is so by-the-numbers; that was one event that happened almost 25 years ago. It's irrelevant. Get over it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Any article that still refers to TR as a "brooding goth overlord" and the "King of Angst" just makes me facepalm. Plus, mentioning that he once owned the Sharon Tate house is so by-the-numbers; that was one event that happened almost 25 years ago. It's irrelevant. Get over it.
    The author seems to go a bit over-the-top with descriptions that play well with teenagers, but overall the article is a decent read. Author cares way too much about Trent's water preference though.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    You know, that final quote in the article....
    “I hate that walled-garden effect, where you’re preaching to your safe audience,” he says. “I like the idea of trying to reach people who aren’t following me on Twitter.”
    ...ever wonder why that is?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    app he thinks the Bakersfield show was shit
    It's that goddamn lightshow again.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tried getting both of these NIN-related magazines today. The new Village Voice with the Trent interview doesn't appear to be available in print until tomorrow, so hopefully I can scoop one up then. We can grab VV's off the street for free all over NYC.

As far as the Metal Hammer with the 90's CD (and 18 Visions HLAH cover included), it wasn't in the local magazine shop yet near my job. They had the last issue of Metal Hammer though, so hopefully it arrives soon. They carry every magazine you could imagine...really obscure stuff. Is Metal Hammer a British mag? Maybe it will take a few more days before it's available in the U.S. as such?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    You know, that final quote in the article....

...ever wonder why that is?
    Nothing wrong with trying to get the message out to more people. That's the only way an artist can make money these days.

My point was that that article seems to have its feet firmly planted in the mid-'90s.

But that final quotation can also be interpreted as a dick move. Screw the established audience; they'll buy this shit regardless. Let's just keep them waiting for their 7-month-old pre-orders and sell that same product to new fans at the shows.
    That's the cynical point of view. I don't necessary believe it's true.

The irony is that he talks about the "walled-garden effect" yet in the last 10 years or so, NIN has become increasingly self-referential (earliest example I can think of is the tiny little dot in Only).
    And the idea of locking yourself in to one medium (in this case, vinyl) is a walled garden in itself. Anti-choice.
    Last edited by katara; 07-26-2017 at 04:34 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Is Metal Hammer a British mag? Maybe it will take a few more days before it's available in the U.S. as such?
    It is indeed

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Trent to be on KROQ radio, Kevin and Bean
    https://twitter.com/clydetombaugh/st...63257343033344

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think you miss the point. The interviewer is saying Trent is a different man these days but he's everything his reputation would suggest; she's basically saying that aura around him hasn't changed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Here's a lengthy new interview in NYMag/Vulture: In Conversation: Trent Reznor

I really relate to the point he makes about music being deprecated by its accessibility, which renders it sonic wallpaper rather than the focus of dedicated leisure time. Probably the only time I can find to listen to music without distraction is when I'm lying awake in bed at night. Depressing, but there's no turning back this particular clock...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    Here's a lengthy new interview in NYMag/Vulture: In Conversation: Trent Reznor

I really relate to the point he makes about music being deprecated by its accessibility, which renders it sonic wallpaper rather than the focus of dedicated leisure time. Probably the only time I can find to listen to music without distraction is when I'm lying awake in bed at night. Depressing, but there's no turning back this particular clock...
    how many clickbait articles is this going to be turned into? There's a lot of scope particularly the stuff about EDM and Drake

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Pretty good Add Violence review from Pitchfork.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...d-violence-ep/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post

i hope he becomes de facto NIN reviewer for Pitchfork, he did the Fragile one didn't he?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchfork
    Both five-track records are elliptical, following roughly the same pattern: a banger to open; a bloopy, spooky, spoken-word-heavy follow-up; a centerpiece dirge; a penultimate screamer; and a lengthy, distortion-heavy comedown to close.
    I had the same thought when I first played AV all the way through.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Trent's talking with Zane Lowe again on Beats 1 right now. (10:41 AM PST)

https://twitter.com/Beats1/status/890265343569965059

EDIT: Tuned in a bit late but will probably be archived on Apple Music later...did a small FYF recap, then spoke a bit about touring now (said there will be shows next year) and festival show mentality, and touched on the Bowie cover for a bit. Pretty short interview.
    Last edited by pushingreality; 07-26-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    that Vulture interview was classic. Wonder if this was a Tom Morello diss. I remember Morello had some big incident ranting about how he couldnt get into a restaurant VIP or some shit a couple years back... “There’ve been people whose music I can’t like anymore because I’ve seen them bitching on Twitter about a waiter like a fucking asshole.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Why does no one ask him what the fucking story/message of these EPs is? Each interviewer is trying to out-cool the last one. Still, getting to hear TR bitch about something is always fun. It used to be contrarian, now it's grumpy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Why does no one ask him what the fucking story/message of these EPs is? Each interviewer is trying to out-cool the last one. Still, getting to hear TR bitch about something is always fun. It used to be contrarian, now it's grumpy.
    They did ask him about the meaning of the EPs and he refused to answer, saying it's better for him not to explain. I wish they'd ask him more what the touring plans are beyond the 3 shows that are left.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    i hope he becomes de facto NIN reviewer for Pitchfork, he did the Fragile one didn't he?
    Haha! No. That was Brent Dicretscezno (or however the fuck you spell it).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    They did ask him about the meaning of the EPs and he refused to answer, saying it's better for him not to explain. I wish they'd ask him more what the touring plans are beyond the 3 shows that are left.
    Did I miss that?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    no I meant this guy did the upgraded 8.whatever review that updated the Brent one

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I suspect he meant the Definitive Edition re-review, in which case - yes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I had the same thought when I first played AV all the way through.
    This Isn't The Place - a centrepiece dirge - what is this reviewer on about!?!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Did I miss that?
    indeed you did

So forget the packaging, does it affect the music you create when you know that people are going to be scrutinizing the results like they’re messages from outer space?
    What the obsessives maybe don’t know is that if I were to explain everything to you, or just explicitly lay out what the new EP is about, you’d only be disappointed. You don’t really want to know. The experience of grappling with the thing is what makes it interesting, not the immediate gratification of going, “Oh, that’s what it means.”

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    This Isn't The Place - a centrepiece dirge - what is this reviewer on about!?!
    that's not an insult...

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

A little shocked to see it with so much of a higher score than NTAE.