Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1614

Thread: Add Violence Back Cover...ARG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This word makes more sense than nascent at least. Search suggested seeing the definition of nescient in philosophy.. So this panel goes from Nescient (the abscence of knowledge, different from ignorance because this knowledge is not something you're expected to know), to Cognitive (acquiring knowledge), to Conscious (awake).

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Looks like a simple mispell, which stinks cuz it bugs me and takes me out of the whole world building going on. Spell check is your friend, Trent and co. The minds that created this great machine don't know how to spell nascent.
    Owned

Maybe we're not seeing any ARG because people would rather make posts like this than look up a single word in a dictionary?
    Last edited by botley; 08-19-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Haha ^

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So they reuploaded the pic with the correct word. "Nascient" is now corrected to "Nescient."

People did use a dictionary and the original "Nascient" is not a word. But we did find these words that do exist.

nas·cent
    ˈnāsənt,ˈnasənt
    adjective
    (especially of a process or organization) just coming into existence and beginning to display signs of future potential.

nescient
    ˈneSH(ē)ənt,ˈnesēənt/
    adjective
    lacking knowledge; ignorant.

Unless Trent wanted to create his own new slang combining words. Nascent + Nescient = Nascient

Maybe Trent is a Nas fan and wanted to incorporate his name somehow. Maybe the third EP will finally be Trent's rap release.

Either way, happy they corrected it in the panel and now we know the word that was intended and we can continue dissecting this.

Maybe Trent purposely put the two different spelling panels to create his own Berenstain Bears effect. Those of us will remember "nascient" while others will remember "nescient" and the rest of us will think there was a glitch in the matrix.
    Last edited by neorev; 08-19-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    There you go, posting a well thought-out argument with references this time, rather than bitching about "spell check".

Don't mean to single you out for this, BTW, sorry to be snarky.
    Last edited by botley; 08-19-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    My bitching about spell check was more me bitching about wanting to know which word he meant. I kinda like "nascent" better, but I can see how "nescient" works in relation to the other two words. Guess I should have expressed myself better.
    Last edited by neorev; 08-19-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I think we can infer from Trent's updated post that he meant the latter and it's quite ironic (intended or not) that they spelled it with an "a" the first time.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Perhaps it was done on "Purpose"

Get it?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Eh, I double-checked it, and it said "nascient" and all I wanted to know was if it was a reference to the company that was linked or if it was a typo. *shrugs* There was little activity at that point. It was just a thought.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Anyone else think Trent is checking panels A thru I right now with a dictionary in hand going "Shit, shit, shit, shit" searching for more spelling errors? :P

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Watch Sandbag actually ship 10,000 misspelled stickers by mistake when they had the corrected ones in the wrong box...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryan695 View Post
    Hmm so Reznor posted that pic of "Panel J" yesterday and the caption was purpose but then he deleted it and posted the same pic with the caption nescience...

also nescient and nescience are both words not a typo, just look them up lol "lacking knowledge; ignorant"
    so the caption used to have a purpose?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Watch Sandbag actually ship 10,000 misspelled stickers by mistake when they had the corrected ones in the wrong box...
    Theyre not mistakes. They're variant editions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Or maybe he meant porpoise..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    J-Panel (Joules - energy?)

In light of the Kardeshev tie in with the K-panel and that the Kardeshev Scale of types of civilisation tie in with energy capture & use via technology. J could represent energy (Joules).
    Or how we use energy.

PURPOSE (of energy use, and how we use it and it's implications, and it's advancements)

nescient : lacking knowledge; ignorant
    cognitive : connected with thinking or conscious mental processes
    conscious : to notice that a particular thing or person exists or is present

Going back to Kardeshev scale for a moment. We on earth are currently a Type '0' civilisation at 0.7 on the scale to a Type '1' {as also shown on the K panel}
    For civilisations to make the transition it's a constant battle between harnessing enough clean energy to progress and making the habitat (earth) less habitable (non clean energy used).

Level 0 -> Level 1 Transition : Earth / Human Civilization Implications

• Historical examples of human civilization undergoing large scale transitions, such as the Industrial Revolution
    • Transition between Kardashev scale levels could potentially represent similarly dramatic periods of social upheaval
    • They may entail surpassing the hard limits of the resources available in a civilization's existing territory
    • The transition from Type 0 to Type I might carry a strong risk of self-destruction since, in some scenarios, there would no longer be room for further expansion on the civilization's home planet, as in a Malthusian catastrophe.

{A Malthusian catastrophe (also known as Malthusian check or Malthusian spectre) is a prediction of a forced return to subsistence-level conditions once population growth has outpaced agricultural – which is amongst other things a product of energy production}
    • Excessive use of energy without adequate disposal of heat, for example, could plausibly make the planet of a civilization approaching Type I unsuitable to the biology of the dominant life-forms and their food sources
    • If Earth is an example, then sea temperatures in excess of 35 °C (95 °F) would jeopardize marine life and make the cooling of mammals to temperatures suitable for their metabolism difficult if not impossible
    • Of course, these theoretical speculations may not become problems in reality thanks to evolution or the application of future engineering and technology

I can't help but feel that Trent after doing the Before the Flood movie score was deeply affected by it and is making his own statement through the art of the K and J panels (so far). Trying to make everyone think about the challenges we face as a race moving forward.
    Last edited by afors; 08-20-2017 at 05:22 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Can't figure out the Equation, but the Y ties in with Joules (energy) again. Not sure in this case, but Y = a Yotta Joule

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule

Yottajoule

"The yottajoule (YJ) is equal to one septillion (1024) joules. This is approximately the amount of energy required to heat all the water on Earth by 1 °C. The thermal output of the Sun is approximately 400 YJ per second."

Again another tie in to a Before The Flood theme. Perhaps the -Y is a reference to how much energy we need to lose to cool all the water on Earth by 1 °C?

Sorry off on a theme here, but perhaps some clues?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afors View Post
    Can't figure out the Equation, but the Y ties in with Joules (energy) again. Not sure in this case, but Y = a Yotta Joule

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule

Yottajoule

"The yottajoule (YJ) is equal to one septillion (1024) joules. This is approximately the amount of energy required to heat all the water on Earth by 1 °C. The thermal output of the Sun is approximately 400 YJ per second."

Again another tie in to a Before The Flood theme. Perhaps the -Y is a reference to how much energy we need to lose to cool all the water on Earth by 1 °C?

Sorry off on a theme here, but perhaps some clues?
    Y could be anything. It's an unknown value. Let's not go all Tool-fandom here looking for shit that's not even there.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Math equations are typically written as y equals a function of x (y = f(x)). Going back a ways to my college years and Differential Equations classes gave me the following:

The inverse function of x = G * 10^y is determined by solving for y

log (x) = G * log (10^y)

= G * y * log (10)

y = G * (log (x) / log (10))

log (10) = 1, therefore

y = G * log (x)

Not sure what that tells us. Hopefully my math is correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Capital G!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Y'all mofos need alternate timeline Jesus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shagg_187 View Post
    Y'all mofos need alternate timeline Jesus.
    * Spontaneous generation of an SAS from a single SAS has been disabled.

From Patch notes.. Jesus has been disabled.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    Math equations are typically written as y equals a function of x (y = f(x)). Going back a ways to my college years and Differential Equations classes gave me the following:

The inverse function of x = G * 10^y is determined by solving for y

log (x) = G * log (10^y)

= G * y * log (10)

y = G * (log (x) / log (10))

log (10) = 1, therefore

y = G * log (x)

Not sure what that tells us. Hopefully my math is correct.
    The J panel equation doesn't have "y" on it, it has "γ" on it... (note that the second "γ" should have looked more curvy like the gamma symbol, but the board's text editor seems to have changed the character after I posted it...)

From Wikipedia:
    Gamma (uppercase/lowercase Γ γ), is the letter of the Greek alphabet, used to represent the "g" sound in Ancient and Modern Greek. In the system of Greek numerals, it has a value of 3. Letters that came from it include the Roman C and Cyrillic Г.
    The lowercase Gamma ("γ") is used in wave motion physics to represent the ratio of specific heat.

From Wolfram Alpha,
    γ is known as the Euler-Mascheroni Constant:
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Euler-MascheroniConstant.html

and the J-Panel equation would compute as follows:
    https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...*+10%5E-%CE%B3

From Wikipedia (again):
    The Euler–Mascheroni constant (also called Euler's constant) is a mathematical constant recurring in analysis and number theory, usually denoted by the lowercase Greek letter gamma (γ).
    It is defined as the limiting difference between the harmonic series and the natural logarithm:
    {\displaystyle {\begin{aligned}\gamma &=\lim _{n\to \infty }\left(-\ln n+\sum _{k=1}^{n}{\frac {1}{k}}\right)\\[5px]&=\int _{1}^{\infty }\left({\frac {1}{\lfloor x\rfloor }}-{\frac {1}{x}}\right)\,dx.\end{aligned}}}Here, x represents the floor function.
    The numerical value of the Euler–Mascheroni constant, to 50 decimal places, is
    0.577215664901532860606512090082402431042159335939 92….[1]
    Last edited by GentlemanLoser; 08-22-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    The J panel equation doesn't have "y" on it, it has "γ" on it... (note that the second "γ" should have looked more curvy like the gamma symbol, but the board's text editor seems to have changed the character after I posted it...)

From Wikipedia:
    Gamma (uppercase/lowercase Γ γ), is the letter of the Greek alphabet, used to represent the "g" sound in Ancient and Modern Greek. In the system of Greek numerals, it has a value of 3. Letters that came from it include the Roman C and Cyrillic Г.
    The lowercase Gamma ("γ") is used in wave motion physics to represent the ratio of specific heat.

From Wolfram Alpha,

From Wikipedia (again):
    The Euler–Mascheroni constant (also called Euler's constant) is a mathematical constant recurring in analysis and number theory, usually denoted by the lowercase Greek letter gamma (γ).
    It is defined as the limiting difference between the harmonic series and the natural logarithm:
    {\displaystyle {\begin{aligned}\gamma &=\lim _{n\to \infty }\left(-\ln n+\sum _{k=1}^{n}{\frac {1}{k}}\right)\\[5px]&=\int _{1}^{\infty }\left({\frac {1}{\lfloor x\rfloor }}-{\frac {1}{x}}\right)\,dx.\end{aligned}}}Here, x represents the floor function.
    Stop.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post

From Wikipedia:

From Wolfram Alpha,

From Wikipedia (again):
    {\displaystyle {\begin{aligned}\gamma &=\lim _{n\to \infty }\left(-\ln n+\sum _{k=1}^{n}{\frac {1}{k}}\right)\\[5px]&=\int _{1}^{\infty }\left({\frac {1}{\lfloor x\rfloor }}-{\frac {1}{x}}\right)\,dx.\end{aligned}}}Here, ⌊x⌋ represents the floor function.
    Lower case gamma typically has an 'upstroke' to start writing it starting from the left, and a 'loop' at the base. It could very well be a 'Y' that has worn away, much like the second 'I" in COGNITIVE, or the 'N' in NESCIENT. Or it could be gamma. Or it could be a gamma that has worn off. Or we're just overthinking it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Oh we're definitely overthinking it. I'm just wondering if the equation might give a little bit of insight into the context of the J panel to some extent.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I wonder how the ARG hunt is going...

*sees mathematical equations*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did anyone try looking at the sound waves to the music for any images? I would start with The Background World.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seed_0 View Post
    Did anyone try looking at the sound waves to the music for any images? I would start with The Background World.
    Yes, I did, spectral analysis and all... didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Even tried inverting the stereo image to find anything that might be hidden 180 degrees out of phase, no paydirt yet.

There's some kind of glitched speech in "The Background World" during the buildup to the false ending (before the loop comes in). Can't make out what it is, though, could just be TR's voice through a delay.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Interestingly enough, the Survivalism video has surveillance footage, but what if it's not the typical surveillance? What if it's surveillance of the simulation?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The capitalized "G" and "X" in the Panel J equation lead me to believe it's a reference to the universal gravitational constant. I don't take it to be something deeper (ARG), just a reference/nod that can tie into successfully computing a "simulated reality".

It's worth noting that in Panel J form, the X should have a cursive/italic "i" following it in subscript.