Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The U.S. Congress Thread - with approval ratings that Matt Gaetz would like to date

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    good. it's not like any Dem legislation was gonna get through, any gov't shutdowns will clearly be their fault & they will get the blame, and his far right views will become crystallized over the next year. Conventional wisdom is that they will lose seats in next year's election b/c of him & the Dems will regain the House. Considering they were well might lose the Senate, this will most likely be a good thing long term. They can have all their fun now with Hunter Biden bs & the like...all stuff thats a turn off to voters.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Ok, here's what I don't get: They spent three weeks holding out and embarrassing themselves to no end and then suddenly they 100% vote for this prick? what happened in the last closed-door session that made them decide this is the guy? Some of them seemed to grow a spine and suddenly this?

Combine that with Trump's "don't vote" thing and it's just so effing weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    This is some 20/20 hindsight but probably why we should have tried harder to negotiate with mccarthy
    uh, no? He was literally slagging the democrats the weekend before the vote. They already look spineless, this would have cemented that.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Ok, here's what I don't get: They spent three weeks holding out and embarrassing themselves to no end and then suddenly they 100% vote for this prick? what happened in the last closed-door session that made them decide this is the guy? Some of them seemed to grow a spine and suddenly this?
    Here's my take on it. The extremists wouldn't support establishment picks, so that tanked McCarthy, Scalise, and Emmer. And the moderates wouldn't support Jordan, not because they necessarily disagreed with his policies and positions, but because he's a raging asshole who tried to bully his way to the chair. They're fine with extremist Johnson because he's polite and inoffensive. So, the inmates are really running the asylum in that caucus.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

Combine that with Trump's "don't vote" thing and it's just so effing weird.uh, no? He was literally slagging the democrats the weekend before the vote. They already look spineless, this would have cemented that.
    McCarthy was definitely putting up a fuss but at the end of the day on the dark end of the grey scale he was better for what we need. And this guy seems so much worse. In the house we have almost no power at all, I think that was a possibly, possibly not, a small opportunity to claim some or be harm reductive.

I'm with you on the vote. All the weeks of total chaos and it's like they just woke up one day and were all over it for Johnson. Baffling

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Lauren Boebert’s Son Arrested For Property Theft

Police in Rifle, Colorado said Boebert, 18, was arrested in connection to a “recent string of vehicle trespass and property thefts in Rifle.”

Boebert is facing a total of 22 charges, according to arrest records from the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office, including conspiracy to commit a felony, four counts of criminal possession of identification documents and four counts of criminal possession of financial devices, as well as more than a dozen misdemeanors, including criminal trespassing, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and theft of less than $300.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)